Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #1  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

Default For those who wear a pedometer...

How many steps do you average in a normal day? Dh bought me a pedometer this afternoon and I'm having fun with it! lol!! I've been wearing it 4 hrs. and am at 4861 steps... I've read that a good goal is 10,000 steps? Is this right?

Thanks!!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Pedometers are so fun! If you have a good one, that is...

I have a cheap one from Walmart now and I have to just throw it away. I have checked it by counting how many steps I walked and the number is always close to double what I actually walked. Useless.

But my old one was cool (it fell off and shattered). It had the ability to be calibrated so I could get accurate distances as well as step counts. For 10,000 steps, it was approximately 5 miles for my stride length.

It also had a nifty feature that didn't count random movement; if a shake wasn't followed by a few more shakes, it went back to the previous number. I have no idea what brand it was - got it free at a work health fair - but I am going to look for those features again with my soon-to-be NEW pedometer.

I found that when I wore a pedometer, I was walking *everywhere* to get my step numbers higher. Like a game.

I usually was over 11,000 steps, but much of that was from walking to and from work (25 min. walk each way).
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #3  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Pedometer

I am enrolled in the Virgin Healthmiles Program thru my employer.

They provide a pedometer that can be uploaded via their website. They also have a reward program as you progress through the levels annually. They also partner with the Polar fitness monitors.

I get 10,000 + steps per day everyday!

Last edited by OnTargetforLife; 07-06-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies!! My hubby bought me a good one.. he's the "Go Big or Go Home" type.. haha!! It seems very accurate so far.. i'm up to 10,279 steps since this afternoon. It is like a 'game' to get more steps.. lol!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #5  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

On a non-exercise day I'll be luckt to hit 3000-4000 but on exercise days I can exceed 20,000!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #6  
Baby Stepping Along

I have had a lot of success wearing a pedometer for that exact reason...everything counts so I'm more likely to do it even if it's only a few steps. The criteria I've always heard was 10k for weight maintenance and 12k for weight loss. I personally (darn desk job) couldn't hit 10k w/o an intentional walk so that was really good for me.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealmuse View Post
On a non-exercise day I'll be luckt to hit 3000-4000 but on exercise days I can exceed 20,000!

Yes, unless I purposely walk I am pretty sedentary, and the pedometer keeps me accountable. I have an Omron and I love it!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7eggyc View Post
I have had a lot of success wearing a pedometer for that exact reason...everything counts so I'm more likely to do it even if it's only a few steps. The criteria I've always heard was 10k for weight maintenance and 12k for weight loss. I personally (darn desk job) couldn't hit 10k w/o an intentional walk so that was really good for me.

Peg
Thank-you! Didn't know this... just upped my goal for tomorrow!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

I love my pedometer. It's an Omron HJ-112.

Being an older, VERY out of shape woman, my daily *average* has been a little over 5000 steps per day. I'm working on increasing that to at least 10,000 a day.

People would be amazed at how easy it is to not even walk a mile a day unless you're paying attention, especially if you have a desk job.

I love to see numbers, so I track my steps every day over at WalkerTracker.com. No cost to use it unless you want to go "Pro", which I haven't. They give you all kinds of cool stats and graphs and averages, so you can really watch your progress. Trying to outdo yourself adds an extra bit of fun to walking. I have no idea how they do it, but there are some people on the site who have daily step measurements at 30K and 40K! I'll be happy just to reach 10K.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #10  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

I use a $5 pedometer from Walmart and I love it. We have a park that has a marked walking path and my pedometer is pretty accurate. It is like a game for me too- I walk more so I can see that number go up. I only get that 10,000 when I got to the park and walk, but I think overall it has helped me be more active and I am not active by any standards!
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #11  
Practicing Imperfection

I have a New Lifestyles DigiWalker SW-651, which is supposed to be a good one. It's very helpful for reminding me to take intentional walks. If I take a walk at lunch, it makes all the difference in getting me to 10,000.
Nuxmaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #12  

Well my pedometer isn't working today... SOO not impressed... grr!! It's a $60 Pedometer and is only tracking when I jump or really stomp! I have a light step, so this sucks.. Dh is going to take it back. I just ordered the Omron HJ-112. I've ready SOOOO many fabulous reviews on this one, so i'm excited to get it! And was 1/2 the price of the one he bought me yesterday! So ever better!