Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Quarter of a year down, the rest of my life to go!

As of June 27, I was 3 full months out from my modified DS surgery. On that day, I was down about 47.5 pounds.

As of today, July 5, I'm down another 5 pounds I've been eating a bit MORE and have been less stringent with my food choices (not every day, but, for example, I had a piece of cheesecake yesterday at a 4th of July cookout). So, I have officially lost more than 50 pounds now, which is nice to be able to say

I haven't had to buy any new clothes yet. I had a pair of size 20 capris in my closet that fit me now for the first time (it was one of those things I bought a few YEARS ago thinking, hey, I'll just lose a few pounds and fit into them fine...). Other than that, I'm still wearing all the same size 22s (with a couple 24s here and there) as I was 50+ pounds ago. I'm hoping the sizes will start dropping soon...

Oh, and my diabetes has improved drastically. As part of a clinical study I am participating in, I had a meal tolerance test that showed AMAZING improvement from the same test performed at one month pre-op. I will have my 3-month labs draw nthis coming week and am hoping, based on those results, I can ditch the metformin completely (I'm already taking less than half the amount I was taking pre-op plus have ditched the Jauvia since my surgery).

And *gasp* I am begining to exercise! Anyone who knows me knows I hate exercise. And it's stil true - I still hate it. But my husband and I joined a gym with a pool, so I've been taking som Aqua Fitness classes, swimming laps, and hitting the eliptical and recumbent bike as well (I have bad knees, so all of these great low-impact on those joints).

Anyway, just a little update on me - doing well so far!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #2  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just wanted to say - keep going! It sounds like you are doing great - I can't wait to say I've lost over 50 lbs. It will happen! Good going on the exercise, too. I wish there was a place around where I live that had aqua fitness classes. I feel so light in the water - it's a big confidence booster.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Way to go jillybean your really doing great and I was so glad to see your update. Im about a two months out from GB and I hate exercise also and have only been walking daily. I was happy to read that you and your husband are doing it together, because as of monday my husband is going to help me with my strength training. Husbands can be pretty awsome !!

Anyway keep up the good work and I look forward to your next update.
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Wonderful to hear Jill!! Glad you are doing so well!! Keep plugging along and the pants will be falling off in no time! hehe

Interesting that you are participating in the study... Good for you! The more research we have on any of the surgeries the better!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 07-05-2009 at 05:04 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

YEAH JILLY !!!! thats wonderful news
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

I will say one of the things I hate most about exercising is SWEATING, so working out in the water is perfect because, well, you can't tell if you're sweating anyway!

As for the study, it is actually studying the 4 major different WLS procedures (DS, RNY, VSG, and band). They are studying the physical and metabolic changes after each type of surgery, so hopefully, it will be a VERY helpful resource for future reference. Currently, it includes follow-up for 2 years after surgery, but they are trying to get additional funding to extend it to 5 years, which I think would be much more telling since the majority of regain from any procedure doesn't tend to start until after 2 years.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

oh jilly = you're a star!!! congratulations!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #8  
No description available.

Congrats! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing! WTG!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Jilly, I've been wondering about you. You are the first DSer that I actually have seen start out and it looks like you are doing excellent!!!! I liked the "rest of your life" thingy.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #10  
Sports Goddess

S/C/G: 265/120.2

Height: 5'4"

Can't believe it's been 3 mos. for you already. How exciting.

And exercising...let me know how it is
AAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #11  
Sweet girl in L.A.

S/C/G: 242/212/180

Height: 5'2"

Way to go! Not sure was DS surgery is. I had lapband surgery just over a year ago and haven't lost nearly the amount I had hoped to. I have only lost 40lbs. I am still an emotional eater and choose bad foods that are easy to eat with the band...like a lot of mushies. I was off this sight for a long time and came back tonight to get support, and hopefully give it, to get back on track. Good for you! You are doing great!
swtgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

Thanks, everyone! Sometimes I feel like these 3 months have FLOWN by, and sometimes I feel like my surgery was FOREVER ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtgila View Post
Way to go! Not sure was DS surgery is. I had lapband surgery just over a year ago and haven't lost nearly the amount I had hoped to. I have only lost 40lbs. I am still an emotional eater and choose bad foods that are easy to eat with the band...like a lot of mushies. I was off this sight for a long time and came back tonight to get support, and hopefully give it, to get back on track. Good for you! You are doing great!
Welcome back! The DS is Duodenal Switch. If you'd like to know more about it, I recommend www.dsfacts.com. Emotional eating is hard to overcome regardless of which surgery you have or if you have any surgery at all - I think we all understand your struggle!