Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft6'

Talking weight loss and workout pet peves

There are some things that I have noticed the last little while that particularly big me. Now I know,"to each their own" and everyone is different and all that. I am not meaning to put anyone down or be mean I just thought I'd share and perhaps you all had stories of your own as well.

So first there is the "friend" that always says "we should totaly walk/work out together". But they never do. Or they do but can't stop chatting long enough to break a sweat and then want to go for ice cream after. I know they mean well but it almost makes me feel like they don't take what i do seriously. I workout pretty seriously and when I do I like to just listen to my iPod and kind of go to that (not fat anymore) place in my mind. I can't chat while working out. But that's just me.

Then there is the lady that passes me about once a week. She is about my size (or i should say the size i was) ans she is always in the cutest capris and tops and sweaters, and FULL make up and a different hair do each time. She has the headphones on and is marching along. And I think to myself (is she just doing this for show?) I cant imagine breaking a sweat with a face full of make up. and I couldn't walk in denim...itchy! I always saw exercise as hard work and you didn't dress up for hard work. But that's just me.

And then there is my neighbor who always wants to come for my walk with me and I avoid it like the plegue. She starts off ok for like 3 min then complains i walk too fast and so i slow down. She always has to pick the rout because she "doesn't do hills" and then after 20 min she begs to be taken home. She is 100lbs lighter than me. I try to tell her if she just trys she will increas her abiliy but she wont budge from her comfort zone and is sooooo whiney about it. Like, I'm trying to lose weight here, i can't hold her hand while she stroles along for 20 min then tells me it's too hard. I need to do my 90 min. But that's just me...

What's you pet peve. I've got more but I wanna hear yours first LOL.

Last edited by TraceyElaine; 07-06-2009 at 10:44 AM.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I guess it's dog walkers that either:

1. Wear IPODS and take up the entire walk--as you go around them their (usually big dog) begins acting protective and the walker acts frightened as you run past them--sorry the path is just 6 feet wide and you don't get the whole thing!

2. Dog walkers that don't clean up after their dogs. Please. ICK.

I am also irritated by those that don't know you should veer to the right (at least in the U.S.) when you are on a trail.

I have others but I will wait for someone else to chime in so I can agree. LOL.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 07-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

This should be a fun thread!

There's a girl I work with and she says to me that she wants to lose weight and so she joins a gym, goes for two weeks, then stops. She says it's hard to breathe. So I offer up ideas on lower impact activities that are offered at her gym at the times she went. She says, good ideas!... then doesn't do them. I offered healthy eating options... at our recent potluck I opted for the healthy right in front of her... I guess you can lead a horse to the trough, but can't force it to eat. :P
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #4  

Height: 5ft6'

Dog walkers who do not let you pass on their side and make it so you have to go into the street or pass their dog. This is a no no. This is how dog bites happen. Doesn't anyone watch the dog whisperer. lol.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Ooh...one of my biggest is the person who talks on their cell phone all during their workout. Please. Maybe it's just me, but I think they can't possibly be working all that hard if they're able to hold a phone conversation the entire time. Plus it's annoying since they have to talk loudly to be heard over their machine!

And there is this one guy in my gym who I call the "Grunter" He makes loud grunting noises the entire time he's on the elliptical. Is it necessary? I don't know, but it's so loud!

Tracey, I love the ladies that come to the gym in full hair and make-up. I think it's looks so uncomfortable to work out like that!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Large groups of women who walk at the park where I run - they spread out all the way across the 6 foot track and won't move to let me pass by, even when I follow the rules and audible when I'm trying to pass. Then, when I run around on the ground to get past them they make rude comments. I've turned three different groups in to the park police...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have a friend that will beg me to remind her when I'm going to run on the treadmill (I do it every morning) and then when I do she asks me why am I telling her this early? It's a PIA cycle because she will text me to remind me to let her know when I'm going to workout so she can come over to do it too *sigh* I will be going off on her soon

This is the same one that declares she is going on a diet and can't make it through the day....then have the nerve to ask me how does she gain weight when she doesn't eat that much. Riiiight. No breakfast, eat a whole bag of chips/candy during the day, eat your lunch plus your two kids' leftovers, and eat three helpings at dinner.....then when I recite what she has eaten denies it all. *eye roll* Did I mention she is my best friend and neighbor so this is all of the time? Blah.

Other than that it's the stroller brigade on the paths when I run outside. They will line up the strollers across the whole path and then give you a dirty look when you step off the path to run around them while they are yakking away.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #8  

OMG SHANNON!

YES, YES, YES!

I hate and detest BLAH, BLAH, BLAH when I am trying to work out!!!! I have already noticed though these groups are short lived mostly. I will see them popup from time to time--they last a few weeks and then I don't see them anymore.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #9  

Romance Diva!!! YES! YES! YES! The stroller brigade. They absolutely have the right to take up the entire walk or so it seems to them. After all, they are in the small, tiny minority that have chosen to breed. (Eyeroll)
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

lmao!!!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #11  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

Unprofessional gym employees who ignore people with questions because they are too busy flirting with the girls in the full faces of makeup!
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #12  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I go along with the ones chatting away at the gym. Gets on my nerves.

The other thing is when you are trying to make healthy choices at lunch or whatever... and the coworker says, "I should do that too" or "I'm going to try to be better too." But it never happens. I feel like saying, "Just do what you want to do. I am doing my own thing, it doesn't mean that I am forcing you to do it too."
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I get extremely aggravated with people who tell me "It's so difficult for us to lose weight because we are so very busy and we don't have "diet" food readily available where we live. Well....aren't we all busy?! And, you have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available to you. This is difficult for everyone. Don't be such a martyr. You're only hurting yourself!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My pet peeve is a little different. I walk with Bella for 1.5 hours three times a week so I HATE it when we are walking through residential area's and OTHER peoples dogs run out at MY dog. It is so freaking hard to keep your dog contained? really?

And... others that don't clean up after their pets. I carry poop bags with me and I HATE stepping in other dogs poop. Ruins my groove.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yes, the other day I had to step around big, huge, hot steaming fresh horse crap on the sidewalk. On a main street in a suburb of Los Angeles. I caught up to the two girls at a stoplight. I asked (nicely) if the pooper scooper law applied to them too. They just laughed nervously and pretended I wasn't there.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote