Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 120/132/108

Height: 5"2'

Default Finally Admitting That I Have a Problem

Happy Fourth, everyone!

I am a first time poster and have come here to admit what I keep refusing to believe--my binge eating is hurting myself and hurting my family. I hope to become an active member in this community as I strive towards wellness.

I am a stay-at-home mom to my 9 month old son--throughout my life, I have had a few binging episodes, but they have generally been few and far between and I have been able to get back on track quickly.

After giving birth to my son, I lost all of my pregnancy weight (and more) nearly immediately because I was so stressed and anxious being a new mom that I forgot to eat. However, about 2 months later, I began hard-core binging to control my emotions.

I am so happy that I am able to stay at home with my son, but I will wholeheartedly admit that it is at times overwhelming, stifling, and lonely, and I have been using food to control these emotions.

The result of this is that I constantly feel frumpy, tired, and irritable. I am sick and tired of behaving this way and am looking very forward to joining you wonderful ladies in this community.
LaurenMom2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! You've come to the right place. Admitting that you have a problem is a huge step. Can completely relate to that "overwhelming, stifling and lonely" feeling. Hoping that you'll find love, support and some adult conversation here!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #3  
~jus' being me~

Welcome!!!!
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Welcome Lauren!

It has also been tough for me to get my binge eating under control, but one thing I can say is, you will feel better when you are not doing it. Physically and mentally.

That said, it's still not enough to totally deter me, but it does act as a reminder to get back on track because I can actually feel the effect the binging is having on my body.

Kudos to you for admitting there is something wrong and striving to fix it. Best of luck.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 120/132/108

Height: 5"2'

Thank you so much for the welcomes and kind words. I am doing research tonight on meal delivery programs that won't completely break the budget; I really hope that this can be a good way to keep on track, because as a mom to a baby, everything is about convenience. If I don't have something ready and right in front of me, I just dive into a bag of chips and end up eating the whole thing, soooo I will look for a good meal delivery program. Was browsing the meal delivery boards on here for tips--all I seem to know so far is that I DO NOT want to try Nutrisystem, I know I wouldn't like dehydrated food.

I feel like if I can go for a week without a binge, then I can look forward to making it a habit. The hardest thing is to make it that first week binge free, I think.
LaurenMom2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

Lauren, it is amazing how similar our stories are. I am also a stay at home mom to a 9 month old and I have had a binge eating problem my whole life, but I am now just starting to hold myself accountable. The worst times for me are a few hours after my daughter goes to bed at night, I just hoard the kitchen for snacks and I try to give myself small snacks but I always go back for more!

The only thing that has worked for me so far is drinking TONS of water and staying away from the kitchen as much as possible. The only problem with that is I drink so much water I have to run to the bathroom constantly!

I just started Alli, and while that may not be for everyone the valuable things I have learned from the diet is to snack several times per day and drink lots and lots of water.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Hi, Lauren!

I've never been a SAHM, but I can imagine how tough it must be sometimes! We're here for you whenever you need us for support and accountability

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 07-05-2009 at 06:32 PM.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #8  

Lauren- I can totally relate. I only gained 25 pounds during my only pregnancy and the weight dropped off quickly when I breast fed (well actually I had to pump for 4 months cuz he would not nurse) but I had a lifetime eating disorder that really flared up when I was "home alone". I urge you to try and find other moms to hang out with and then have play dates with. I isolated myself to the point that I could barely drive (other than to get binge food) and my single friends or ones without kids no longer seemed to relate to me. Walking helped lots. Mine was a stroller cryer, so I just strapped him on (the pouch thing where he can see out) and walked at least twice a day. Amazingly when you walk sometimes you will encounter other SAHMs and suddenly you have a group. That is how I found my son's first and best friends. The eating disorder is still there and has to be addressed on a daily basis (I am OA), but seriously- getting out probably saved me from literally killing myself with food or slipping into a horrid depression. Good luck and hugs. Let us know how you are doing.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/228/145 (low of 221.8 '09)

Height: 5'7"

LAUREN!

Don't even bring those chips home from the store!

Get some carrot sticks and hummus or some light english muffins. You can do this!

Thanks so much for your honesty about your struggles as a new at-home mom.
FatGirlTale is offline   Reply With Quote