Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/196/135

Height: 5'6"

Question What Fruits and Veggies to snack on? Does my diet need a makeover

So I have a feeling I'm not eating right. My problem is that I feel like I'm eating a lot of those "healthy" processed meals instead of fresh fruits and vegetables that I need to eat.

What are some good fruits and veggies to snack on? How do I stay away from processed foods?

Also, does this diet need a makeover?:

1 slice Wheat toast with Organic PB and Banana
PB and J on 1 slice wheat
Amy's Organic Black Bean Enchilada
Some sort of fruit
Amy's Organic Vegetable Lasagna
Hummus, Carrots, and Whole wheat pita
Measured servings of whatever is for dinner in my house (except red meats)
Frozen Peach Greek Yogurt and berries for dessert(my favorite)

And 2 liters of water
jocelyne17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #2  
Baby Stepping Along

I'm a little confused on what you are eating when but yeah, I think it would probably behoove you to move beyond the frozen meal plan as a general day-to-day plan and use those for the days when you are busier/not home. They are a good tool but I don't know that they are a wonderful solution. I also would encourage you to look at the calories/fat in those particular options. Even though they are vegetarian and organic, I'm guessing they are among the higher calorie/fat ones due to the cheese (especially the lasagna).

I would consider first looking at your lunch and see if you can use those calories to get in more vegetables, leaner protein and probably more volume to help hold your appetite. If you can tell us a bit more about your lifestyle and food preferences, I'm sure we could help you identify some options. Lots of people like salads for lunch. I'm not a huge salad fan but it does work well and is fairly easy to prep the night before and grab on the run. You can add beans or tuna or canned salmon for lean protein. I love sandwiches and I see you like hummus so I make a killer veggie sandwich on ww bread with hummus, cucumbers, tomato, shredded carrots, a little avocado. It's yuuuuuummmy.

HTH! Welcome and I hope you'll visit and post often.

Peg

Last edited by p7eggyc; 07-05-2009 at 10:00 AM.
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7eggyc View Post
If you can tell us a bit more about your lifestyle and food preferences, I'm sure we could help you identify some options.

HTH! Welcome and I hope you'll visit and post often.

Peg
I guess that would help, ha. Sorry for being confusing. Um, well I don't really like red meat at all. I'm a big poultry and fish girl. The freezer meals started as something my mom bought me to help with my diet because I tend to have a small appetite so I never eat up veggies and fruits fast enough before they spoil, so she bought me vegetarian meals. I also like a lot of things I can make fast because I'm busy and spend a lot of time working and doing artwork. I have a bad habit of forgetting to eat sometimes...and I'm not extraordinarily picky, but I don't really like the taste of tomatoes by themselves.

Thanks for you're support Peg. It's hard to get help in this house.

I'll be sure to stick around 3FC.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #4  

Default Does My Diet Need A Makeover?

Hi Jocelyn,

With just a quick look, it appears that the foods on your list are very carb-laden - and carbs make us gain weight - organics aside. An easy suggestion would be to check carb content on everything. Try to stay under 75 carbs per day. Also, look for protein-rich food. Protein will help with hunger control and keep you from losing much-needed muscle as you lose your weight. Hope this helps. And, Jocelyn, with all my heart, I wish you success. My own weight gain ruined my life for a long time. Kindly, deblyn15

Last edited by mandalinn82; 07-09-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Linkosuction
deblyn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Fruits and veggies to snack on -

Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Melons
Carrots
Celery
Broccoli
Cucumbers

And I am sure many more than I listed. I just woke so my brain is not functioning 100% yet .

I agree with trying not to eat so many of the frozen dinners. It is a much healthier option to cook, in my opinion. Try incorporating lean meats such as chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, fish. Also more veggies and fruits. Whole grain breads. Oats are always a yummy, filling breakfast or even a snack but I do prefer the ones I have to cook instead of that packaged microwavable stuffs.

You can also track what you eat and the calories you take in at fitday.com. You want to be sure you are getting at least 1200.

Hope this helps. Welcome to 3FC!

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblyn15 View Post
Hi Jocelyn,

With just a quick look, it appears that the foods on your list are very carb-laden - and carbs make us gain weight - organics aside. An easy suggestion would be to check carb content on everything. Try to stay under 75 carbs per day. Also, look for protein-rich food. Protein will help with hunger control and keep you from losing much-needed muscle as you lose your weight. Hope this helps. And, Jocelyn, with all my heart, I wish you success. My own weight gain ruined my life for a long time. My story can be found on thinkyourwaythin.net. Moderators, if posting this link poses any kind of policy violation, please let me know. Kindly, deblyn15
Thanks so much deblyn and Michelle. I really appreciate you're thoughtfulness and help.

Oh and deblyn, you're website is extremely helpful, merci mon amie.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Other veggies I like to snack on:
colored peppers
grape tomatoes
cauliflower
broccoli slaw mix
green beans
sugar snap peas
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblyn15 View Post
Hi Jocelyn,

With just a quick look, it appears that the foods on your list are very carb-laden - and carbs make us gain weight - organics aside. An easy suggestion would be to check carb content on everything. Try to stay under 75 carbs per day. Also, look for protein-rich food. Protein will help with hunger control and keep you from losing much-needed muscle as you lose your weight. Hope this helps. And, Jocelyn, with all my heart, I wish you success. My own weight gain ruined my life for a long time. My story can be found on thinkyourwaythin.net. Moderators, if posting this link poses any kind of policy violation, please let me know. Kindly, deblyn15
75 g of carbs per day would come under the category of a fairly low carb diet. For some this works, for others it isnt necessary to go that low. It certainly isnt a hard and fast rule. More a matter of personal preference and seeing what works for you.

It would probably be helpful to track where you are now first and instead of making a radical jump to 75 g look at where you can trim. The concept of protein with every meal is a universally good one.

And it is also important to consider the source of the carbohydrates. If they are coming from non starchy vegetables and beans it is a whole world of difference from bread, pasta and especially sugar.

I am a moderate carb person myself, but for example my lunch alone today had 74 g of carbs. Most of them because my protein today was garbanzo beans (chick peas) on an enormous bed of salad veggies.

I will agree with the posts that say ditch the frozen dinners, the sodium alone isnt good. I love Amy's but her meals, while vegetarian and organic, are not low in calories. They are a good emergency food, but not everyday.

Since eating veggies before they go bad is an issue, instead of buying a frozen dinner, buy bags of plain frozen veggies (not the kind with sauces or seasonings) and learn how to steam or stirfry them. Add some canned beans or leftover chicken from dinner the night before. Ask if you can cook extra chicken and keep cooked chicken breasts in the freezer and nuke them. You can even freeze portions of cooked brown rice or cooked whole grain or high protein pasta and reheat (rice works best nuked or stir fried, pasta just put in a colander and pour HOT water over it.) Your own homemade frozen dinners.

Also...a lot of diets push salads. That can be a lot of chopping and a lot of veggies to buy. I used to eat a couple carrots on monday, a cucumber on tuesday, a red bell pepper on wednesday....by the end of the week I had all the salad veggies...just one at a time.

It is farmer's market season - go find something new each week and commit to eating that one vegetable
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
75 g of carbs per day would come under the category of a fairly low carb diet. For some this works, for others it isnt necessary to go that low. It certainly isnt a hard and fast rule. More a matter of personal preference and seeing what works for you.

It would probably be helpful to track where you are now first and instead of making a radical jump to 75 g look at where you can trim. The concept of protein with every meal is a universally good one.

And it is also important to consider the source of the carbohydrates. If they are coming from non starchy vegetables and beans it is a whole world of difference from bread, pasta and especially sugar.

I am a moderate carb person myself, but for example my lunch alone today had 74 g of carbs. Most of them because my protein today was garbanzo beans (chick peas) on an enormous bed of salad veggies.

I will agree with the posts that say ditch the frozen dinners, the sodium alone isnt good. I love Amy's but her meals, while vegetarian and organic, are not low in calories. They are a good emergency food, but not everyday.

Since eating veggies before they go bad is an issue, instead of buying a frozen dinner, buy bags of plain frozen veggies (not the kind with sauces or seasonings) and learn how to steam or stirfry them. Add some canned beans or leftover chicken from dinner the night before. Ask if you can cook extra chicken and keep cooked chicken breasts in the freezer and nuke them. You can even freeze portions of cooked brown rice or cooked whole grain or high protein pasta and reheat (rice works best nuked or stir fried, pasta just put in a colander and pour HOT water over it.) Your own homemade frozen dinners.

Also...a lot of diets push salads. That can be a lot of chopping and a lot of veggies to buy. I used to eat a couple carrots on monday, a cucumber on tuesday, a red bell pepper on wednesday....by the end of the week I had all the salad veggies...just one at a time.

It is farmer's market season - go find something new each week and commit to eating that one vegetable
Thank you, that is so helpful ennay. I can't wait to try your advice.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #10  

Height: 4'11"

Yes, I think you're right, you do need more fruits and veggies. I am trying to add more veggies into my food plan too. This is the season to do it! Almost any fruit is a good snack. I like sugar snap pease and carrots because they're easy and yummy. Good luck getting more produce in your diet!

Last edited by thinpossible; 07-05-2009 at 04:01 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Hummus is a good dip for any of your veggies. Hummus and celery, hummus and carrots, hummus and bell pepper strips, etc.

I eat lots of fruits and veggies. If you have a good farmers market, it is good to look there and even experiment a little If you have a good asian market, sometimes they can have really good produce sections with lots of variety and cheap.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 144/143/120

Height: 5'3"

ust to throw my 2 cents in, I like to buy a bunch of grapes and then measure out portions into ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. They last for ages and are delicious! Other than that, I find berries so filling and perfect summer snacking foods!

I think variety is key. Maybe just make it a goal to try as many new and different fruits and veggies as possible, so you don't get bored! Mango, nectarines, cherries, etc. Veggie wise, I love alfafa sprouts on sandwiches, edamame, red bell peppers, asparagus, etc.

Fresh or frozen, there are so many different varieties, I'm sure you'll be able to find your favourites in no time!

*Jules*
JulesC86 is offline   Reply With Quote