Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #1  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Default 40-Somethings July Week 1 Chat

Morning All! How did July get here already. That means the year is half over. And 178 days 'til Christmas - I better get moving!

Marie - Take it on authority - laptops do NOT like to swim, any better than cell phones. Don't do it

It's way too early for me to remember what everyone was saying without my quotes, and I don't know how to pull quotes from one thread to another.

Gotta go work out and see how much bathroom stuff I can get packed before work.

Have a great day all!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone. July 1st, wow. In another week or so, I will have been at this for 5 months, and I'm right where I wanted to be, loss-wise. Woo hoo!

I'm mentally toying with changing my goal to 145, but when I went to update my ticker, I just couldn't do it. How weird is that? Mind games, I guess...

I hope everyone has a great day!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #3  

Good morning to all!! I can't believe it is July already! They always say the older you get the faster the time flies. It sure seems true in my case! Jelder, I must have missed it, are you going somewhere on vacation or moving? These threads have moved so fast, I know I have missed some things.

Newleaf-That is a good idea to wait to change your ticker. You might want to wait and see how you feel at the original weight and then go from there. Plus it will feel good to reach your goal for awhile and you will probably go lower anyway until you figure out maintenance. I am still losing so I need to figure it out myself.

How about a couple of questions like we used to do in our threads? I enjoyed that as we got to know each other better that way. Here are a couple to get us started:

Do you have any big rewards that you plan on for yourself when you reach goal?

What is different about this time in your weight loss than in the past?

Hope you all have a great day!!!
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Happy July!

Good morning everyone! I love the beginning of a new month...to me it represents new opportunities!

Today is day three and I must say I have already had a challenge. Last night my dh decided to order pizza for dinner and then tried to convince me to eat it when I got home from work. I refused and made myself an omelet (I am doing a version of low carb). That little victory felt wonderful. And for a NSV - day two was smoke free! I really feel like I am in good mindset. So today I will stick to plan, remain smoke free and write down everything that goes in my mouth!

Wishing you all a great July! Just take it one bite at a time!
dietingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #5  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelder227 View Post
Morning All! How did July get here already. That means the year is half over. And 178 days 'til Christmas - I better get moving!

It's way too early for me to remember what everyone was saying without my quotes, and I don't know how to pull quotes from one thread to another.
wow.... July already, I've been at this for 6+ months and have to admit I was really hoping to be closer to goal. Seems the better I feel and with a closet full of clothes that actually fit my motivation wanes a bit.

To do the multi quote all you need to do is click on the "multi quote" icon down in the right corner of each post you would like to quote. Then when you selected all the post you would like to reply to you hit "Post Reply" to the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
I'm mentally toying with changing my goal to 145, but when I went to update my ticker, I just couldn't do it. How weird is that? Mind games, I guess...
I had to laugh about the "mind games". I too am funny about changing numbers or reporting a loss until I know it's going to "stick". I am a firm believer that your body will let you know when you are near or at goal. I for one would like to eat about 1800-2000 per day when I am at maintenance. Not sure that is realistic but that is what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post

No rewards for me.

I'm not on a diet and I have restricted nothing. For me I had to learn to eat "healthy". Every diet that I have ever been on restricted something or required eating or drinking specific foods that when I went back to "normal" eating I would gain ALL the weight back and then some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietingdiva View Post
Today is day three and I must say I have already had a challenge. Last night my dh decided to order pizza for dinner and then tried to convince me to eat it when I got home from work. I refused and made myself an omelet (I am doing a version of low carb). That little victory felt wonderful. And for a NSV - day two was smoke free! I really feel like I am in good mindset. So today I will stick to plan, remain smoke free and write down everything that goes in my mouth!

Wishing you all a great July! Just take it one bite at a time!
What a difficult situation with the pizza. Mack is my number one supporter; however, he is also my number one enabler. Often I just have to mention a specific food and he will bring it home. Over the years we have gained about the same amount of weight and have lost the same. Our eating habits definitely mirror each others. Maybe you will be a positive influence for your DH.

Although I have done low carb in the past and did well I now would consider my eating habits "lower" carb. I try to do 30 Fat 30 Carb and 40 Protein. I've tried to do 50 protein but that is difficult for me, the 40% seems to be my magic number. This test helped confirm what I already knew. http://www.natpro.net/metabolic-typing.html

Congrats on not smoking. That is a BIG DEAL!!! I am a firm believer that a good frame of mind goes a long way. Even if you have to fake it at times. Tell yourself something long enough and you WILL believe it. I often had to do that when I first started on my journey.

Wow.... I feel like I have typed a small novel. Hope I didn't miss anything while I was responding.

Had my EKG yesterday and have been cleared for surgery. They did see a little "blip" but were not concerned about it. I on the other hand with ANY abnormality get a little wigged out. With all the heart disease in my family (son, father, sister..... ) how can I not???

Off to get my hair done this morning, thinking I will go a little shorter but not sure yet. I know before retirement (7+ years) I would like to have short short hair that doesn't need to be colored. Just not sure HOW to go about it..... any suggestions?
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #6  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Introduction

Hi all,

I hope you won't mind my joining you. I am a nurse and mother from just outside of Louisville, KY

I began my most recent serious attempt at better health a few months ago. Unfortunatly at the same time I found out that I had two masses in my right breast that would require biopsy. I just found out the results were negative.

I walk at least 10,000 steps per day and help my DH with the mowing at least one night per week. I need to progress my exercise just not sure how.

Any advice would be great.

I started out on a very carb conscious eating approach but found myself struggling with that over the final days of waiting for my biopsy results. Now I am trying to work on that as well.

Had to adjust my ticker and goals back up this morning. After all I have been through that was tough, Felt like a failure.

Regards,
~Deb

Last edited by OnTargetforLife; 07-01-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #7  
Wandering in the Woods

Well, fun to write down a weight of 2 pounds down on the first day of July. I like. Seeing that 2 pound drop (even if it may only have been from my intestinal upset of yesterday) is SO motivating ! I cann only imagine how motivated I will feel when I see a new , lower, middle digit this month (and I WILL! and SOON!)
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #8  

Default new to age 40 and to the site

Hi everyone!

I am new to the site, but NOT to the agony of weight loss/control. I am at my heighest weight EVER and am desperately seeking motivation, support, and, I suppose, a way to agonize when I just don't want to keep going.

I am a mother of 2; devoted wife; and full-time professional.

... hoping it's okay to join you all!
blueenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Jelder, I promise to throw my beloved Mac in the pool. I did figure out what I did. I didn't have the cursor in the typing window (I'd been scrolling to the bottom to see who I'd missed), then saw a typo and hit backspace. Apparently that makes the browser go back a page. Thanks for starting a new thread. I read everyone's posts but can't go back now to try the long post from yesterday...

newleaf, I totally agree with the others. Leave your ticker goal alone. When you get to your original goal, celebrate it. It's what you wanted to do. Then revise it if you want. But get to where you originally wanted to go.

Cruise, I'd be a bit worried if I had heart history and they saw a little blimp. We're not the youngest chickies anymore so I'd be concerned too. Talk to your dr about the blip so it eases your mind.

Beemer, I guess my reward is that I'm getting the excess skin removed next February on the really embarassing areas. I don't know if it's as much a reward as something to make me less self-conscious. I don't know how to explain what is different other than I have never been so determined to never have to do this again. I made myself (and DH) I will log my food the rest of my life. I guess the difference is I accepted I will always be on this journey and won't change a thing when I reach my goal. I will alter the daily calorie intake for maintenance, but I will weigh every day and log every morsel. That's my real promise to myself and my health.

Diva, wow, you're tackling TWO health issues at once. Great job on day 2 and you can do it again for day 3 and 4 and 5 and etc.

Deb, yeah on the negative results!!! And another yeah for the great weight loss. You are just doing the healthy dance!

hermit on the 2 pounds down. It's a great way to start my favorite month of the year.

Welcome blue. Glad you found us!

DH drove through the evening yesterday instead of today and got home at 2 am. I think he just got up as I hear the shower through my ipod earbuds. So I will be off to see my DH that I haven't seen in a month.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 07-01-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #10  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Big Rewards When Done No, I don't have any. I just want to be there; that is reward enough. In fact, I still haven't given myself my 20lbs lost reward, even though I am at almost 24lbs lost. The loss is reward enough.

What's Different Well, the last time I lost weight, it was pretty much the same as this time. Healthy choices, portion control, exercise. Hopefully what is different is my resolve to not regain after a few years.

Dieting Diva -- great job on your willpower, both with the pizza and with the smoking! You are doing great!

CruiseCAT -- I hear you about waning motivation, been there, done that. You are doing so great!! 43 lbs lost -- wow! Remember when it was "just" 30?? You'll get there; I know it. Good luck with your upcoming surgery! I have a hair appt this afternoon, too. And like you, I've wondered how to do the cut-over to full gray one day...

OnTarget -- welcome! Look at the big picture: (a) you are healthy!!! (b) you've lost 31 lbs!!! Both are fantastic. I know the scare of finding a lump (mine was negative, too)... A little visit with mortality... I'm so glad all is well.

HermitGirl -- congratulations on your 2 lb loss!!

BlueEnough -- welcome!! Always happy to have new members! Looking forward to getting to know you...

Marie -- I think you're on to something re: the determination not to gain. I guess that's my biggest realization this go-around. That my weight will always be an issue; it's not going to go away as being an issue, just because I've lost it. That's a different mindset; recognizing that I will *always* have this problem, this propensity, and it's up to me to manage it. Good advice about sticking to / celebrating the goal as originally planned.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #11  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Morning all!

Wow, its only 10am and I feel behind already!

My parents are coming by soon to pick me up and take me to lunch. This is a weekly get together for us. We are trying a new place today, we all remember where it is, but not the name! Hopefully, it will be good.

I'm having cateract surgery on my left {bad} eye on July 6th. While this isn't the first eye surgery I've had each time I get a sick feeling and dread it. I've been in denial but when I wrote July 1 on my prayer journal and food/exercise log I realized its only a few days away. EEK!

NewLeaf, I would wait until you hit your goal, then add a new goal if you feell you want to.

Marie, Happy reunion with your Hubby.

Blue, Welcome! I'm new here myself!

HermitGirl, Congrats on the 2lbs!

On Target, Don't feel like a failure! Just think of it as a small goal, then you can aim for the larger goal. Welcome!

CruiseCat, What kind of surgery are you having. It sounds much more serious than mine!

Diva, Congrats on being smoke free! and eating what you wanted not what was easily available.

Beemer, Great questions. No big reward planned! but that might be an idea. I'm not sure there is a big difference. If I don't really commit myself I don't lose weight. If I commit myself and am serious about it I will lose weight, but that's the hard part for me, being serious about it.

Jeider, Thanks for starting us off! I started a three month strength training program in Feb of this year. I expected it to feel like I was spending the rest of my life in that program but it flew by! Next thing I knew it was over! The whole year is turning out like that. Flying by!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 196/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I will log my food the rest of my life. I guess the difference is I accepted I will always be on this journey and won't change a thing when I reach my goal. I will alter the daily calorie intake for maintenance, but I will weigh every day and log every morsel. That's my real promise to myself and my health.

Marie
Marie - I totally understand the acceptance of being on this journey for the rest of my life. In order to maintain I can't go back to what I call "stinkin thinkin" After all...if I always do what I always did I will always get what I always got!
dietingdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #13  
Ready to hit the beach!

Good morning everyone! What a busy morning this has been around here! Started my day with a walk and then had a Dr. appt. Had a large mole removed and sent for biopsy. Dr. is pretty sure it is nothing to worry about. Completed my meds for my lingering sinus infection but still no relief. Next step, CT of the sinuses. Then who knows what!

Good questions Beemer.
Big reward - I'm having the spider veins removed from my legs. My first consult was $500 a visit for approx 6 visits needed. A friend recommended a Dr. that charges 100 - 125 per visit. I'm seeing him in August. I won't be at goal but I'm going ahead and having it done. I have a very large cluster on the back of one of my legs that make me very hesitant to wear shorts. Other than that, new clothes and the loss are the rewards for me.

What's different this time - I have accepted that this is the way I will be eating for the rest of my life. I also think that I realize my own mortality more than I did when I was younger. I know that in order to live longer I have to take better care of myself. I never really thought about the long term affects of obesity when I was younger. I also have a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. I want to do everything I can to improve my health and lower my risks.

Welcome Blue and OnTarget. Glad you found us. This is a great group with lots of support!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ok, this is embarrassing but I forgot the thread was changing and thought it was odd that no one was posting today on the old thread - I need to change my subscriptions! We'll just call it an almost-senior moment : )

Rewards - I've got a bunch of small rewards planned for each mini-goal of sorts. Am trying a small amount of botox for the first time next week as the 10lb goal.

What's Different - I've formalized my usual eat less exercise more into a workable calorie target and am logging everything. Usually I wing it and get frustrated when the results slow down. Not this time! And then there's this forum - helping with communication and accountability.

Newleaf - I have no doubt about your ability to make it to any goal you choose but it seems like you'd be acing yourself out of the hard-earned pleasure of a victory celebration if you move your goal before reaching the original one. I'm all about the celebrating!

Dietingdiva - welcome! Way to go on resisting the pizza temptation - that's a tough one!

Cruisecat - I'm been shooting for about that breakdown of protein/fat/carbs but have a hard time getting my protein numbers high enough. If you have time sometime, could you tell us what a sample day of eating looks like for you?

Ontarget - welcome! Sounds like you get in a lot of walking - if you want to crank it up a notch as you mentioned, would it work for you to alternate jogging and walking intervals, whatever feels comfortable? That is, if you don't have knee problems or anything else that would make it tricky.

Hermitgirl - congrats on the loss!

Blueenough - welcome!

Marie - hope you're enjoying having your husband around!

Patchwork - sorry to hear that you need surgery - will it make life easier for you afterwards?

Onmyway - I have some pesky spider veins that I'm interested in having removed as a reward as well. What method are you using - laser or saline injections? I've heard pros and cons to both and am curious to hear where you came out...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #15  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

newleaf - Congratulations on being where you planned to be - that's a big achievement just on its own. I agree on letting yourself see the current goal get reached - you deserve that reward.

Beemer - Not moving - don't say those words! I hate doing that. Leaving to Denver tonight to see my DH for the first time in 2 months. Also seeing one of my oldest friends and her family. We've known each other 25 years now (Boy does she get mad at me for saying that - we would rather not admit that's possible).

dietingdiva - I think it is incredible that you are trying both at once. I can admit that I just don't have the strength to try that. I'm preparing to quit smoking if that makes sense. I have switched to an ultra ultra lite (it's a European type) and am cutting way back so I can quit as soon as I get the weight off. Theory is there is no way I'll let myself regain immediately. We'll see. And on of my biggest challenges is training the people in my life to be supportive - do not offer me all these things that they know I really don't want! I don't need temptation!

CruiseCAT - I'm at that point - which is part of why I joined here. My weight isn't that bad for my height - I actually look pretty good, especially as I live in one of the "fattest" cities in the country. BTW, that is true - Houston definitely has weight issues. It's really obvious having moved here from Denver, which is at the other end of the spectrum. I just work really hard at reminding myself of the reasons I want to look better than pretty good. And my mini-goals are getting very "mini"!

OnTarget - You kept a lot of it off through some serious challenges - not a failure! Exercise has always been hard for me, especially due to the heat here. I don't like dumping my child in another day care for an hour while I work out at a gym, so what to do? I started with workout videos the end of last year, and they have been great. I have a collection so to some extent I can do what I'm in a mood for.

You're still trying, which makes you a success in my book!

Hermit Girl - Congratulations on the weight loss, and the positive attitude!

blueenough - Welcome - glad to have you!

Marie - Glad the laptop survived. And enjoy having DH home! Does he travel often?

patchworkpenguin - The only eye surgery I've had was elective (Lasik), but there was definitely a sick feeling right beforehand - I almost cancelled it as a matter of fact. If it hadn't been my MIL driving me there I probably would have. (We have one of those relationship that a counselor would just love to get hold of - it would fund a great vacation for them). Good luck with it, and have faith all will go well. We'll pray for you.

dietingdiva - LOL- "if I always do what I always did I will always get what I always got!" - So much how I've been feeling lately! Reminds me of Suess for some reason, but I love it!

Onmyway - Sinus infections are chronic in this area due to all the chemical plants / pollution. They are miserable! I have a whole battery of OTC meds that get pulled out at the first sign of any issues to stave them off. Great idea on the spider veins. I have a few of those and hate them - my legs would look pretty good without those, so that's a thought.

dancerindenver - How's the weather? I'll be there late tonight! At least it will be cooler than here . . .

Yep - I'm going to start building the wardrobe I want. Not the one I can afford. I'll do the clearance racks at Saks, the good resale shops, Ebay, I'll make them, whatever, and get it one piece at a time. And everything will be tailored to fit correctly. If I have clothes I love, I will not let myself grow out of them. Back in my 20's I lost all the weight, and had a closet full of tailored suits that were gorgeous, and I kept the weight off about 3 or 4 years until I had a lifestyle change and didn't need to wear them anymore. It won't be suits this time, but I'll use the same principles.

Like Marie, and several others, this time I'm thinking a lot more about the long term, and trying to build a plan that will always work for me. I'm thinking a lot more about what maintenance will be, even thought that's many months away. I think I'm being healthier - part of getting older - and losing the weight smarter, if slower. I've learned a lot more about the body and weight loss work.

Have a great 4th all - I'm off to work out and throw the last stuff in the bags, then work and off to the airport! Houston InterContinental is no fun at all, and Denver's not much better. Especially with a little one along. The walking isn't so bad for me, but it's a serious trek for those little legs!

Last edited by jelder227; 07-02-2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Typo
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote