Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #1  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

Unhappy Very Sad Doggy!

Hi,
I was wondering if an one has any ideas for my dog. I live alone with Simon.I had another dog that died in Dec. He took a heart attack right in front of me,and I could not help him.The problem w/Simon is he seems to want another dog around, When he saw a litlle dog walking near our house ,he start crying.I try hard to keep him amused,taking him for rides,playing w/him. He used to love to play ball. Now,not so much.I just can't get another dog right now. Simon is 8 yrs. old. He is healthy. He had a checkup in May.The problem is getting worse.If you have any suggestions ,Please help,Thank You

Last edited by Tracy; 07-03-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #2  

It sounds like Simon is lonely. Can you take him to a dog park or have doggy "play dates" with friends or neighbors who have dogs? Or take an obedience class with Simon so he can make doggy friends?
mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I agree with Mags...sorry for your loss.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm so sorry!

I know exactly what you mean. We had to put our older dog down a few months ago and it just about killed us. He was 13 and just stopped eating and wouldn't do anything, it was awful. So now the little dog who is only 1 1/2 years old is home alone all day and my hubby just refuses to get another dog even though I think we really need another for many reasons. My little Jack does get to play with my daughter's dogs though so it's not completely horrible but still you can tell he's lonely a good bit of the time.

Other than doggy play dates or dog parks I don't really know of anything else you can do either.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #5  
No Fear

Thanks eveyone!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #6  

Hiya hun sorry for your loss.

Im doing a degree in canine behaviour and understand how difficult this is for your dog.
He is grieving too. Physically exercise him as much you can do. To me mental stimulation for dogs is crucial too, occupying the brain so they arent moping or at a loss in the house.

You can entertain him with new chew toys, these release endorphins like when we exercise and will make him feel better.

Also stuffed kongs, i stuff mine with dog biscuits, a tad of peanut butter, ham tiny bits of cheese etc.
With the kongs they have to work to get it out again occupying his brain and menatally focusing.

Hope this help x
CurvyBlond19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #7  
No Fear

Thanks Curvy Blonde,
He has many toys. I try to initate play w/him ,but he won't. I am going to look for what you said, when I go to the pet store.It hurts me so much to see him like this.

Last edited by Tracy; 07-04-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #8  

Keeping him occupied, taking him new places will help.

Also maybe look for a DAP diffuser or some rescue remedy to add to his water, many dog owners swear by this when their dogs are distressed.

Also when you think he is sad and you think he is down, encourage him to be fun and play dont fuss him and tend to him too much when he is down as you will feed his bad mood.

Be upbeat yourself, try anyway hun and enjoy him. xxxxxx
CurvyBlond19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #9  
No Fear

Thanks for the advice!I will try!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #10  
New Attitude

S/C/G: 214/205/137

Height: 5'7

Do you have a neighbor dog he could play with? Maybe a local doggy daycare? There is a site dogster.com that is kind of like friendster but for dogs. Maybe you could meet like minded owners who want to exercise their babies! Good luck to sweet Simon and you!
SunnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #11  
No Fear

Thanks,Sunny. I will look into it!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

The problem is that he is picking up on how you are feeling which is contributing to how the dog is acting.

You have to let go of the past, live in the present and look to future. You are not helpinig your dog by feeling sorry for him because in turn it will only make him feel bad too.

If you project the feelings on happiness the dog will feel happy. If you project the feeling of sadness and unhappiness the dog will feel the same way.

Dogs do not dwell on the past, they only react to the present, so perhaps instead of seeing the dog as being unhappy, sad and lonely you should ask yourself "how am I feeling??" and there you will have your answer to all your problems.

Dogs need leadrship, that is what your dog is missing. It feels sad because you can't let go of what happened to your other dog not because it is mourning the loss of that dog.

As a leader you should let your dog know that everything is fine, then he too will be fine.

I hope this helps.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #13  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyBlond19 View Post
Keeping him occupied, taking him new places will help.

Also maybe look for a DAP diffuser or some rescue remedy to add to his water, many dog owners swear by this when their dogs are distressed.

Also when you think he is sad and you think he is down, encourage him to be fun and play dont fuss him and tend to him too much when he is down as you will feed his bad mood.

Be upbeat yourself, try anyway hun and enjoy him. xxxxxx
I also agree with curvyblond, however I DO NOT suggest you try drugs as your dog doesn't have a "distress" problem, you also don't know what health affects might occur from them.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #14  
No Fear

Thanks Lauren,
I do think some of it is because of me,but I think he just misses just having another dog around. I do appreciate your advice
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #15  
~Rena~

S/C/G: 361.4/222.4/150

Maybe look for "dog walking" groups in your area. In Winnipeg, we have play groups for our dogs. This way we can socialize our dogs and they meet new friends. Maybe try meetup.com.

This might be a long shot here but there are so many older dogs at rescues and maybe seeing how he would do with another friend more his own age? Most rescues would bring the perspective dog to your place to see how your little guy would be with him.

I just lost one of my pugs to cancer in March. He was 9 (I only had him for 6 months-he was deemed unadoptable because of his attitude but it turned out he was the most loving little guy ever!). My boys (Pugsy 2 and Murphey 1), took it pretty hard as well. Murphey would lay in Sir's bed and both dogs would be constantly looking for him. They went through the greiving process in their own time and now they are fine.

You are in my thoughts and prayers as I know what you are going through.
betty grrl is offline   Reply With Quote