Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #1  

Default Hypothyroidism?

Next week I will be getting some blood tests done because my doctor thinks I might have hypothyroidism. I'm a little nervous, but does anyone here have this condition? What can be done to help combat it's effects?
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

The only things that can help with hypothyroidism are medication, exercise, and diet. However, medication is almost always necessary. I'd start seeing an endocrinologist if you are hypo.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #3  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I am newly diagnosed as of May. I have changed my diet to a more thyroid friendly one. I exercise. I also take 1 rx every morning. Don't worry. Not only is hypo VERY common, but it is also highly treatable. My best advice would be to start reading. Books, internet, magazines. Just make sure the source is qualified!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/140

Height: 5'5''

I have hypothyroidism also. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. It's definitely manageable but you will have to take a pill everyday and visit the endocrinologist every few months to get your levels checked. After a few weeks of the medication, I was surprised by how much energy I had lost and just hadn't noticed since I guess it was so gradual. You'll feel much better.
hokiegirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #5  
Meg

Same here. I was diagnosed in 1995 and have been on Synthroid since then. The good news is that once I started counting calories and exercising, I was able to lose weight without any problem (and keep it off for 7+years).
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Diagnosed in May. Taking T3 and T4 medication (2 pills per day instead of standard 1 pill per day). Counting calories and started exercising. I couldn't lose weight to save my life without the medication, with the medication I am doing the same things I was in the past, eating better and exercising and the weight is coming of much better.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/176/165

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I had my thyroid out and have been taking synthroid also. I haven't been to my endo doc since my weight loss (I go every six months) and I was wondering if she does adjust my dosage will it effect my weight loss? Anybody have experience with this?
spleenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #8  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

My thyroid yearly numbers keep going down every year and my Dr doesn't seem to be to worried. Last year it was 2 years ago it was 2.3, last year 1.47 this year .89. I am getting a little worried and do plan on seeing another dr.

the loser the numbers, the faster my thyroid works? right? the i should be losing weight faster, oh this is so confusing, i need to do some research on the web.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Me too...hypothyroid. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago and have been taking Synthroid since then. I see my endocrinologist every 6 months and my dose has increased over time. Once I put my mind to losing weight I have been able to do so.

spleenqueen - my dose did not change after losing a significant amount of weight. Just depends on the bloodwork results.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/176/165

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

GOOD - everything has been going so well and I have been working so hard I don't want anything screwing it up - call it synthroid paranoid!!

spleenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #11  
Coffee Addict Hippy

S/C/G: (Restarted) 235.5/192.5/130

Height: 5'6"

I was actually JUST diagnosed after three years of my family saying that my sudden weight gain (108lbs in 6 months) and lack of progress in losing was sheer laziness. I opted out of the prescription medication option, and after only three days just taking a few extra vitamins (selenium, kelp, and adding some coconut oil), I feel AMAZING. I've energy that I haven't felt for a long time, and in that time, without doing anything differently, finally saw the scale moving downward! I'm so motivated to kick my butt into gear and finally see the body I mentally already have, that this energy boost and complete change in how I feel for the better is the best thing that could have happened. I have answers and know it wasn't just depression and stress keeping me from reaching my goals. If you're afraid of medication, or just plain stubborn like I am (raised by a physician and a nutritionist, so I'm very anti pill just out of my hippy ways and sort of rebellion), try adding a few surprisingly inexpensive supplements to your day and see how you feel. It's made all the difference in the world to me. I'm actually affected by caffeine for the first time in YEARS! *bouncy*
Featherfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #12  
Wii would like to play.

S/C/G: 235/206/190

Height: 5' 7"

Me Too - It depends on what "thyroid number" you are talking about. Your Free T4 is the active hormone. It drops in hypothyroid. The Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) is the the usual screening hormone and it raises in hypothyroid. There is also your Free T3 but it is rarely checked.

spleenqueen - BarbPA is right. Let your numbers be your guide. The actual hormone levels are simple to follow and doses may need to be adjusted rather your wight changes or not.

Featherfire - I am thrilled with your success... but I am curious if your thyroid function tests normalized with your remedy. Are you still hypothroid but feeling better or have you become euthyroid (normal thyroid)?

Where do I find info on the selenium, kelp, and coconut oil for Thyroid? I'll start googlin'.

But, always remember herbs and vits are "pills" too... they just aren't purified and regulated as closely.

HeatherMcG - A "thyroid friendly" diet? I would like to learn more about that. Looks like I'm headed back to google again.

Thanks for the info, guys. This place is sure full of information.
SlimmingDownSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #13  

You are playing with fire to decline the meds and treat yourself with unhealthy coconut oil. Herbs and vitamins are okay but the problem with herbs is the strength can vary from batch to batch. Thyroid disease cannot be cured and will only get worse. If taking those things for a few days has given you such improvement, what were your numbers to begin with?

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 07-10-2009 at 01:30 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #14  
Coffee Addict Hippy

I can understand where some of you may be concerned with my choice in self treating. I am under supervision from my father, who is a physician, and honestly haven't felt this good in close to a decade. I've been talking the rite-aid brand centrum for women multivitamin along with an extra kelp supplement each day. I also added in a selenium, per suggestion of my g.p., with whom my father consulted. I'm not only trying to combat the incredible lack of energy, insomnia and hair loss, but I want to feel human again. This is what has been working for me. Certain routes aren't for everyone, and some aren't safe, but I can assure that my choice to not take the route of modern medicine and relying on supplements that are more natural and less "manufactured", being lab created versus in nature is working for me, and I am on the route to complete overall health.
Some of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a placebo effect, mind over matter and such, but I'm feeling better and seeing a change inside and out. Prior to the diagnosis, I was severely hypothyroid, and had been for many years, though I never thought to have it tested until multiple family members suggested it as a cause to my struggle to lose weight. Honestly, I never even heard of it until my mother first suggested I talk to my father. I also don't have health insurance, therefore can't afford the prescription route if that had been what I had chosen. I'm uninsured, as I can't afford to have another monthly income deduction, especially as I'm unfortunately unemployed at the moment. (Left a steady job for a new with more money and it fell through just as pretty much all jobs in the southern part of the state vanished until fall)
I'm feeling good and healthy, which I think is most important. If people want to supplement, as long as they take only the recommended daily dosage from the label or as recommended by a physician, I feel it's a safe and more affordable route. ^_^
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #15  
Coffee Addict Hippy

...I almost forgot about the coconut oil bit....
I'm actually using it on my hair, versus ingesting.
It's really been a miracle for the dry brittle and extremely fragile hair that has been residing on my head since my symptoms started. It feels silky smooth, stopped breaking, and the shedding has almost completely stopped. I only lose a few hairs that I notice per day if either my hair has been in a tighter ponytail, or while trying to wash out styling products that leave helmet hair like build-up.
I'm definitely tempted to cook with it as well or start my day with a mini-shot glass style oral ingestion, though I'm still adjusting to actually remembering to take my vitamins every morning, never mind adding one more thing to the ritual.
I made sure to do my research on coconut oil before purchasing.
It actually made its way into my hands because of the condition of my hair being so terrible, but from what I've read and heard while visiting multiple natural food stores (I'm trying to keep my life as organic/natural as possible, clothing included when I'm at my goal size!) it's actually VERY good for you when not used in excess, like all things. Moderation is key.