Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264 / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default Out of curiousity........

So I've been eating much better, have my blood sugars under much better control and have tremendously increased my exercise for about the past month. What I can't understand is why my scale is not moving down. I'm actually like a pound or 2 up since I re-committed myself.

Please help me understand why this is happening. It's frustrating and very disheartening every time I step on the scale. In a month I should have at least lost 6 pounds, or more, I'm figuring.

I'm not giving up. I can't. But I was just wondering if anyone else went through the same thing.

Stormkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Are you tracking your calorie intake? It's so easy to eat more calories than you realize. I use thedailyplate.com and it really helps. If you are doing that already I would just say stick with it. Sometimes the body can be very strange, not wanting to give up the weight. I always lose in little chunks. I'll stay the same for a month sometimes and then drop a few pounds. Maybe your body is about to do that too. The most important thing is to not give up. It takes determination and sticking to it to get the weight off.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh, and Congrat's on getting your sugars under control! That is a huge victory right there. I struggle with blood sugar too, weight loss and exercise make a huge difference in how I feel.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #4  

Thanks!!! It's a struggle but so worth it. I am feeling better too. Just wish the damn scale would move.....lol I know that I'm more than just a number on a scale though.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #5  

On a side note, do you know how I add a signature/tracker? I created one but for the life of me can't figure out where to paste the code.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Are you keeping track of your calories ? It is easy to eat more than we think; I plan all meals ahead of time and if it goes into my mouth I count it as long as it has a calorie....and what doesn't , other than water ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkitty View Post
On a side note, do you know how I add a signature/tracker? I created one but for the life of me can't figure out where to paste the code.
You need to go back to the original signature page where you started making your tracker. Scroll down and you'll see a place there's a code or a box for a code. Paste there.

As for weight loss -- what are you eating? Are you watching things like sodium and drinking enough water? Are you eating throughout the day to keep you going? Do you eat a lot of pre-packaged or frozen foods?

I think any of the above could have an effect.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

How much exercise are you doing? It's hard to say what the problem is unless we know what kind of calories you're taking in and burning.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It really boils down to how many calories you're consuming. You may be eating "better" and "healthier" but if you're not creating a calorie deficit consistently, day after day, 7 days in a row, 14 days in a row, well then you won't lose weight. So I'll just repeat the question that the other ladies asked you? Are you tracking your calories? Carefully? Every single crumb? Every single day? Have you had any off days that? One off day can blow the other 6 good days out of the water.

I know for me, eating healthy, watching myself and cutting back never ever worked. It's just too easy to overspend calories. They add up real quickly. I need to monitor them carefully.

Great going on the changes you've made thus far. Now might be the time to re-assess your plan so that you can get the desired result - weight loss.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #10  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

Sometimes too much sodium is a problem for me.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #11  

No I haven't been tracking or counting my calories. However, a typical day for me consists of maybe a Slim-Fast for breakfast, a salad or a Lean Cuisine meal for lunch and for dinner maybe a chicken breast with some type of veggie and brown rice or no carb at all. I snack a couple times a day. That may be a cheese stick, an apple or a fiber bar. I haven't taken the time to write it all down, but certainly that type of diet isn't THAT high in calories.

I'm exercising at least 5 times per week and usually burn 300 calories each time plus I'm doing strength exercising as well.

I would have thought the scale would have gone down a little by now, at least not up.

I probably need to start measuring again and start tracking everything that goes in my mouth. It seems like a PITA but it probably is a necessary evil.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormkitty View Post

I probably need to start measuring again and start tracking everything that goes in my mouth. It seems like a PITA but it probably is a necessary evil.
It's waaaay less of a PITA, then working hard, time is passing and seeing no results, IMO.

Yeah, measuring and tracking everything is the only way to know for sure. It's quite eye opening and necessary. Why leave something so important to a "guess"? And within a couple of weeks, you get it down pat and you realize it's quite simple.

I keep tabs on lots of things, things that matter and are important - my money, my children, my work, my household. My food intake, which is directly related to my health, is just another very important one of them. Another necessary one of them. It's more then worth it. In a big, huge, gigantic way

Track those calories closely for a couple of weeks, make some adjustments as need be and watch that scale start to plummet. Check back and let us know how you're doing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #13  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there! Like Rockin said...

You HAVE to track what you eat. Or else how do you REALLY know how many calories you are consuming?

Diet accounts for 80% of how you look, so if you want to look better, you have to know what you are eating! It is really, really hard to get results with just exercise.

Pick either a structured program that accounts for your food (there are lots of options out there that you can research on this forum) OR you can calorie count. You have to find your own path on this one...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-07-2009 at 08:30 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Track track track, plan plan plan, execute execute execute.

Seriously. Commit to planning, tracking every single day, every single meal for a month. That scale WILL GO DOWN big time.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #15  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

If you really REALLY don't want to track calories and tend to eat similar each week you can just track them for a week or two just so you get a handle on how much of a deficit you need to create. You'd be surprised how much even HEALTHY food adds up quickly. You need a 500 deficit for 1lb and 1000 for 2lb loss. 300 calories worth of exercise may or may not be enough depending on your calories. Don't forget to include all liquid calories also. Milk etc. It all adds up.

Most sucessful long term maintainers though tend to track calories. Just FYI. It doesn't mean you can't be sucessfull w/o doing it, but by doing so your arming yourself with more information and more tools to be a long term success.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote