Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Thumbs up July - Golden Girls

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #2  

Hi Everyone,

I guess Bobbi is offline today. I am REALLY positive about July & getting back on track. You know that saying - Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results - I feel like that is what I've been doing. Not anymore. If I don't start back down & keep going, I'm going to do something VERY different - maybe Jenny Craig for a few months.

Also - I WILL stick with eating right during my two-week vacation this month.

I'm feeling those weight-loss vibes!

Lynn
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #3  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Thanks Lynn for starting the July thread, I was totally spaced out yesterday. I spent most of the day in the kitchen doing stuff like making another batch of yogurt, homemade soup, a huge batch of iced Green tea, made a yellow cake for DH nightly ice cream, made chocolate with cherries pudding for me, (sugar free)washed and hung outside a load of clothes, weighed, measured some stuff I'm selling on ebay, etc. What take's the longest was the soup. It's a pain in the butt to weigh all the ingredients, cook it, then weigh again, divided into 8oz. serving and entering it all into Fitday so I know how many calories are in a 8oz. serving. That's really time consuming but a necessary for me or I go hog wild with portions and calories.
I'm happy to see a few more signed up for the Labor Day Challenge this month. Just now on Good Morning America they had an author of a book called "Game On' by Az Ferguson. He wants us to challenge each other with points, not by weight lost so men and women can compete with each other. He didn't tell us exactly how to do it because he wants us to buy the book but I think it like the following:
You can earn 20 points a day
5 points for 7 hours of sleep
5 points for drinking 8 glasses of water
5 points for 20 minutes of exercise daily (can be spread out)
5 points for 5 meals a day (I'm guessing am/pm snack?)
Think that would work for you?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-02-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #4  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Busy today making the wedding cake.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #5  

Good Morning,

My days are focused on my daughter. I go over there every morning & every evening for her to apply the cream that burns her already burned face. This treatment is HORRIBLE! Today is her last day. Then, she puts vaseline on for several days. I am so afraid that this is going to scar her face. Hopefully, it has gotten all of the cancer.

Not sure if I told you but my scrapbooking store closed down last week. I guess this is a bad business for the current economy. We will miss it a lot. Guess I'll have to find a new hobby. I've never enjoyed scrapping at home.

Had several good days of eating choices. Eating cereal with protein drink at noon is helping me keep from grazing.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-03-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #6  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I dead headed all my peonies yesterday, weeded 3 flower beds and called that my exercise for the day.
Today I'm going to catch up on my ironing, when DH was still working I had 5 dress shirts a week to iron and I couldn't wait for him to retire so I wouldn't have to iron anymore. He's had clean shirts down in the laundry room waiting for the iron for a month and I still have to be hit on the bottom to get it done. I'm getting sooooooo lazy.
Lynn...I don't know what's happened with Linda, if you can't get ahold of her, maybe you should contact 3FC? They need a moderator on all threads and they maybe don't know she's been ill?
Hang in there Isabella.............send us pictures of the cake when it's finished.
Quote:
What happened to Susanne and Karen from Florida? I miss hearing about all her yummy card party lunches.
Hi Glynne, Rosey, Karen. I got a nice email from Karen31 this morning, her dad isn't doing well and she's spending much time with him.
My Labor Day challenge is going well, I've dropped 4 pounds already but 1st weight always comes off early. Next week I'll probably stay the same but that's o.k. as long as I don't go backwards. I'm counting calories just like before, that works for me. Lynn...sometimes I have another bowl of Fiber One for lunch, it keeps me full and I don't have to take the time to prepare something. Usually I eat a lite Flat Out with 2 Tablespoons prepared PB2 peanut butter and tons of lettuce. Our garden has lots of beautiful lettuce right now, the down fall is it takes me a long time to clean it. I rinse it in vegetable cleaner a couple of times, then take each leaf out individually and check back and front of it for little green wriggly worms that are the same color as the lettuce. Yuk! So far no worms but when it gets toward the middle of hot summer we have a few.
I've procrasted long enough, on to the ironing board, have a great day and a little prayer for Karen's dad.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy 4th of July weekend everyone

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #8  
Lifetime Loser

Hi, just poppin in to say Happy 4th of July to everyone. Things here in Ohio are about the same, I did gain 2 lbs. and have to work that off. We are heading to Florida for a vacation soon, staying in a condo right on the beach for a week....so looking forward to it and seeing my son and friends. Still trying to stay on a low protein meal plan but have had lots of company and short trips so I'm back to trying to stay on track. Hello to all the "old" Golden girls and I'll try to post more often and get to know the "newer" golden girls.
Happy 4th, Phyllis
floridarusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone We got back from our trip to UT where we met (I was in the labor/delivery room!) out newest grandchild, a little girl! She is a little doll of course!

They have stairs in their house and between going up and down stairs and taking care of the two year old, I managed to lose a 1/2 lb in June but think that is just the 1/2 lb I had lost in May then gained back in June (sigh).

Didn't see the accountability thread and remember there wasn't much posting going on last month so not surprised. But if you ever start it up again, I will join it. Right now I am not counting calories, but am counting my carbs (diabetic) and so far, I am maintaining. Did very well today ...manage to turn down sharing a pizza at Costco because I felt full from the samples, but usually I would have had both, so it's progress. For me spacing out my foods helps a lot in my overall consumption. I have changed a lot in the last few years so I am trying to think positively. Bought a new pair of Bermuda shorts (on me they are more like short capris which is what I was hoping for since most capris are too long for my shape) and a top. Couldn't try them on so was really happy to see they fit me and actually look pretty good. Makes me more motivated to lose more weight!

I got a new computer today and have been busy setting it up. Still having trouble getting my printer to work. Downloaded the software and drivers so hoping it will work now when I get around to trying it again. Last month I bought a little netbook (for traveliing and around the house), so I'm all set now...a big desktop for my home office and the netbook for mobility! My dh says it's my anniversary gift, my Christmas gift and my birthday gift! LOL

Haven't gotten back to the gym since we got home as I've been so busy catching up with things but hope to start back next week. Looking forward to it.

Will try and post more often now that we are back home for a few months.

Mary

Last edited by maryea; 07-04-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #10  

Good Morning & Happy 4th Everyone,

Today is the last day of my DD’s treatment – thank God! Sometime this afternoon, she can start putting ointment on her burned face. I am sure that 20 years from now, people will look back on these treatments that we have today in the same way that we look back on the times of blood-letting.
Hope everyone has a good 4th of July weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning!
Lynn...I don't know what's happened with Linda, if you can't get ahold of her, maybe you should contact 3FC? They need a moderator on all threads and they maybe don't know she's been ill?
Hi Bobbi,
I will try to call Linda this weekend & see what’s up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Happy 4th of July weekend everyone
Take care
Hi Gayle,
Happy 4th to you also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Hi, just poppin in to say Happy 4th of July to everyone. Things here in Ohio are about the same, I did gain 2 lbs. and have to work that off. We are heading to Florida for a vacation soon, staying in a condo right on the beach for a week....so looking forward to it and seeing my son and friends. Still trying to stay on a low protein meal plan but have had lots of company and short trips so I'm back to trying to stay on track. Hello to all the "old" Golden girls and I'll try to post more often and get to know the "newer" golden girls.
Happy 4th, Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,
I’m so happy to see your post. How are you doing? Looks like my DD has a buyer for her B&B – I think they will be moving to FL. I will probably rent something down there for the winter months. I do NOT want to be there in the summer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Hi everyone Didn't see the accountability thread and remember there wasn't much posting going on last month so not surprised. But if you ever start it up again, I will join it. Right now I am not counting calories, but am counting my carbs (diabetic) and so far, I am maintaining. Mary
Hi Mary,
We have a Labor/Labour Day Challenge thread instead of the Accountability Thread – feel free to use it however. I am still recording my daily weigh-in there.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-04-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #11  
Bobbi

Happy 4th of July everyone!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #12  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hope everyone had a good weekend so far. We've had rain overnight and rain predicted for another day or two. Just hope next Sunday is Sunny for our wedding. One week to go and then back to normal.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #13  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
My daughter got me hooked on Farm Town, geeeeeezz Louise it's addictive.
Isabella...I was thinking the wedding was this week-end since you made the cake last Thursday the 2nd. Are you freezing it?

Quote:
Have a great Sunday, we're going into town to visit dad and MIL.
Karen lost her dad yesterday, say a prayer for her.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #14  

I need a new morning mantra -

Here are some possibilities -

Today will be tough - get over it & get on with it
Today has to be better than yesterday - enjoy
Today will be what it will be - suck it up

Any other candidates?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #15  
Bobbi

Good Morning all!
Just a quick note and I'm outta 'ere, I couldn't record yesterdays stat on the challenge last night, system was down. I'll do it tonight. Yesterday DH's 1932 Chevy car was delivered and we have lots of fixin' to do on it. We'll be busy the rest of the summer with that, need a paint job (has the original paint and no rust), interior, seats. It runs fantastic, I can just see myself in the parades. I'm gonna wear a big floppy hat and some old clothes.'
Bye for now, too busy to chat