Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #1  
men7al

S/C/G: 203.5/140/135

Height: 5'3

Default whats your thought on those skinny girls use see?

I'm so sick and tired of seeing skinny people that I want to choke them..in none murder way of course.

what are your thoughts about the media and the pressure of NOT BEING FAT.

I don't feel fat and I sure in **** would rather be fat and happy if my doctor would not make me feel fat in first damm place.

I'm trying to get preggo and he said I needed to lose 15 lbs wtf..his so fired by the way.
I feel pressureed now to lose weight if I want other baby.I was always the skinny one as a kid now..I'm the bigger one.

what are your 2 cents on this new age of 2009/2010 on skinny? and how or what should we DO TO LOVE OURSELFS without spending a lot of money on crap that is useless and promises to lose the weight(ordered slimforce7) and waiting on shippment..I'm taking zantrex 3 because so far lost 3 lbs in one week..oh did I say I eat tacos too LOL..

give me your thoughts on this because..I'm really started to dispice to media as well..I plan on email the star magazine and people for them not to be posting skinny models on there magazines.bc..is bad view on the world of looks and parsay...I'm in phrase I want a new life but,I can't stop popin pills?

men7al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

As I understand it, the media regularly modify the models using computer technology. Where I live, there is a commercial where the model was "enhanced" by making her eyes wider, lips bigger, longer neck, longer legs, and of course made her more slender.

Just keep in mind that NO ONE really looks like that. At least the Dove company has a campain for real women!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #3  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey - I had my last child when I weighed 300 lbs. Perfectly healthy, happy pregnancy and happy, healthy baby. I wouldn't think you need to lose weight to have a baby - it might be more of a risk regarding gestational diabetes / high blood pressure - but I got through it with only some high blood pressure at the very end.

Regarding the media - You and I know they airbrush and touch up everything we see, my concern is what about my 6 year old daughter? I worry about the impressionable youth - it makes me sick to see the way the media attack some of the celebrities for gaining just a few pounds even though they still look fabulous. (Jessica Simpson anyone?)

I just hope I can change my own bad habits before my daughter picks up on them - I hated the stress of trying to look like a model and be thin when I was growing up. I agree - we need to love ourselves as we are, but I'm not so sure children are being taught that very well. We work hard at my house to teach the kids to accept everyone no matter what size, shape, etc. - not just because you might hurt someone's feelings, but because you might really miss out on someone or something special if you don't.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I would definitely get a second opinion. I have never tried to get pregnant, but it seems common sense that it would be healthier to get pregnant at 145lbs than to get pregnant at 135lbs while taking zantrex3. I doubt you would want to take zantrex while you are pregnant and once you stop taking it I bet the weight comes right back. That's the way it usually is with those supplements.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There are many different body types out there. There are people who seem to moderate food intake naturally, remaining at a healthy weight without a lot of conscious effort. There are also people who work hard to moderate their food intake, eat a healthy diet, and exercise, and they're slim too (see the Maintainers, here on this board). There are those who naturally settle into a moderate, average weight without a lot of conscious effort, and those who work hard to settle into that average weight. So any judgment of "skinny people" across the board really isn't fair...that one group has all kinds of different members.

I do think that the media tends to glorify a particular body shape, one that is physically unattainable for most women (we don't all have the genetic makeup to be model-size, after all), and it concerns me some. But I've found it a lot healthier to say to myself "You know, that particular body type is what shows up on a magazine cover, but there are LOTS of body types in the world that are just as beautiful, and there's no need to match that one ideal."

It's counterproductive to me to spend a lot of time judging the figures of other women, whether presented in the media or just walking down the street. I am more focused on being the best version of me that I can be, given my genetic makeup and body structure.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #6  
Chaos in Action

S/C/G: 250/210/160

Height: 5'4

Normally speaking, skinny women don't bother me. The main women that I envy are the ones with ripped, rockin' bodies and I KNOW that they have worked hard to look like that. No one comes out of the box with ab muscles that you could bounce quarters off of. Some of the gorgeous ones that I talked to at a club awhile back do Turbo Kick 5 days a week in addition to running and weight training. They were averaging 1.5 to 2 hours of exercise 6 days a week.

That said, I so occasionally meet a skinny "girl" who bothers me. However, it is their attitude, not their weight that is an issue. I know a number of women who are naturally rail-thin--they can eat anything and not gain an ounce. Most of them are great people and I love being around them. However, there are a couple who have the attitude: "Oh my god! You're FAT! What's WRONG with you?" This makes me really not like these "girls" and not want to be around them. Sadly, I can't always avoid it. In their eyes it makes NO difference what I achieve in my life. I am FAT and thus, worthless.

One of them in particular is hard to deal with because she is the serious girlfriend of someone who I don't want to piss off for, well, I guess I would say political reasons. This is hard because I am naturally a very confrontational person and I typically call people on the things that they say, but she is very underhanded--all back-handed compliments and "innocent" snide remarks--so I will end up looking like the bad guy. Normally, I wouldn't care, but in this case I have to. Sigh.
paradoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #7  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

The media can't really go with the "weight doesn't matter" image because, you know, it does. On one hand I'm annoyed that ads and stuff made me feel like **** when I weighed 200+ pounds, on the other hand, I was really unhealthy and did need to change things.

Are people getting fatter because there's more pressure to be skinny, or is there more pressure to be skinny because people are getting fatter? Probably the latter.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I'm so sick and tired of seeing skinny people that I want to choke them..in none murder way of course.
Quote:
what are your 2 cents on this new age of 2009/2010 on skinny? and how or what should we DO TO LOVE OURSELFS without spending a lot of money on crap that is useless and promises to lose the weight(ordered slimforce7) and waiting on shippment..I'm taking zantrex 3 because so far lost 3 lbs in one week..oh did I say I eat tacos too LOL
I don't know. Skinny people don't really bother me.

I just try to concentrate on being the best ME that I can be. What some strangers do with their time, money and body is of no concern to me and affects me in no way. I don't let what other people "look like" determine how much or how little I love myself.

Quote:

give me your thoughts on this because..I'm really started to dispice to media as well..I plan on email the star magazine and people for them not to be posting skinny models on there magazines.
If those magazines bother you, then you shouldn't bother looking at them.

I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. But taking pills, I'm afraid is not the answer. All the best to you.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 07-02-2009 at 03:12 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #9  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

I do agree that the media and fashion industry glorify a certain body type. For me, it's most annoying that mass market clothing is designed for this rather unattainable figure meaning the styles look awful on most of us, yet we're told we have to change to fit the clothes.

This makes no sense. If a shoe is uncomfortable and looks bad, we blame the shoe so when clothes are uncomfortable and look bad...why exactly are we blaming our bodies?

I know that I am losing weight to be a healthier person and I'm doing it while I'm young so I don't have to try and start doing it when I'm older, and it's both harder and more important. Being able to feel comfortable wearing some stuff I felt too heavy for before is a fringe benefit.

But I still think it's ridiculous that a bunch of guys in an office somewhere decide that this year's look is the 5'9" no boobs and no bum look and the rest of us spend our time and energy cursing ourselves and depriving ourselves trying to look like that when there are so many other ways to dress in the world.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I personally think the 5 9 no boobs, no hips promotes pedophiles, because those women look like prepubescent girls.

I think a really sexy, really pretty woman is a woman with curves. I don't think rail thin models are pretty at all--maybe in the face. Women who are built a little like Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez are gorgeous. The toned look with nice muscular legs is what I think is hot.

With that being said, I get so jealous of the teenagers wearing boy shorts and they have that nice stream lined butt to calves look. I want that look. I have always had "junk in the trunk" so I will never have a boy's type butt, however, it inspires me to work on my legs.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #11  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I personally think the 5 9 no boobs, no hips promotes pedophiles, because those women look like prepubescent girls.
I agree with you there. It's an undeveloped girl look and most women who aren't 10 don't look like that ...I know that even when I hit my target weight or close enough, I won't be dressing that way because my figure does have curves and I do like those... but I've been sewing my own clothes for years because most of what I find in stores is not designed for anything but that prepubescent look and I think it's a very limiting approach for the fashion world to take.

And I think it's important to remember that this limited approach is their problem, not ours.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #12  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

As far as the fashion industry is concerned, clothes look best on a hanger. This is why tall, ultra-thin girls with no curves are the standard for couture and magazine layouts. You know, pretty face and no curves to distract from the clothing.

This is an extreme body type and IMHO, if it is an IDEAL for ANYONE, there will be huge body issues and eating issues either there or just around the corner for that person.

I can't control the media nor what is displayed in it OTHER than to vote with my wallet. I don't buy those magazines, because I think the messages about body and ideals are distorted. The same goes with the majority of hard-core fitness magazines, for the same reason. I don't buy them because the images are IMHO just as unattainable.

I think the KEY is to be happy with yourself. Why change for an impersonal industry? The industry doesn't care what size you are, just as long as you BUY THEIR MAGAZINES. And why exactly are you on PILLS to lose weight? Especially if you are trying to get pregnant -- what if you ARE pregnant and don't know it but are taking the pills? What good will THAT do???

Stand up, get a new doctor, throw the pills out, stop buying the magazines, and live a HAPPY life...

JMHO

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-02-2009 at 03:55 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #13  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

The media only controls you if you let it. You don't have to look at their crap, you don't have to pay attention to their stupid ads and you don't have to buy any of their products. If what they show bothers you the best thing to do is to ignore it. I know women who do just that. They don't watch tv, they don't read magazines, they could not identify many of the current celebrities. The media really has no effect on them because they choose not to be a part of it.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #14  

I don't hate skinny people. Even typing that sounds silly. Ofcourse I don't hate skinny people.
I have had many issues with many people over the years and they have been with skinny people, fat people, all races, all religions....
What can I say, I live in NYC and someones bound to piss you off sooner or later

I'm not sure how productive it is to criticize the variations of a womans body. There are real women who don't happen to have curves, to say that they promote pedophilia or that they aren't pretty or aren't 'real' woman is kind of harsh. People come in different shapes and people have differnt tastes as to what they think is attractive.

If the original poster wants to better themselves, you should focus inwards, the world is not out to get you.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatest View Post
I'm not sure how productive it is to criticize the variations of a womans body. There are real women who don't happen to have curves, to say that they promote pedophilia or that they aren't pretty or aren't 'real' woman is kind of harsh. People come in different shapes and people have differnt tastes as to what they think is attractive..
Agreed, there are plenty of women with those bodies that are natural. I was too (until I gained weight after college). I used to change in the bathroom in high school because all the girls had breasts and I didn't. Sound familiar? Yah, I was in the stall next to the overweight girl who didn't want anyone to see her body too! Those "pedophile teen boy" bodies might have more in common with you than you think. We should be supportive of each other rather than knock each other down to try and climb higher.

Last edited by sacha; 07-02-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: edit
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote