Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/???/115

Default Minor Set back

So I just started this whole thing and I THOUGHT I knew how much I weighed but I figured that I would do an official weigh-in on the 1st(my "start" date)
well was I wrong. I thought I weighed about 150....but in reality I weigh 159.6
I already feel like I failed and I haven't even really started.
Everyone around me keeps telling me that I'm ok and I don't need to lose weight. It also doesn't help that my whole family is thin. They have no idea what it's like.
I am depressed and discouraged already
Lizxbeth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It sucks but it's okay- it's only 10 more pounds- you can do it!

As for your family of course they are going to love you no matter what- just tell them thanks but you really feel you need to do this.

Last edited by beerab; 07-01-2009 at 11:06 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #3  
Workin' It

Honey, I know exactly how you feel. When I was at what I thought was my highest ever weight of 164 I went to the doctor and realized it was actually 174. Now, I let that throw me into a funk and immediately comforted myself with a frappucino and pastry from Starbucks, saying 'hey, I'm heavier than I thought anyway, what does it matter'. If I could go back now and start my healthy lifestyle then instead of several years later I would do it so fast...

Don't let this set you back, just update your charts and move forward. You can do it! You haven't failed at anything, you just haven't started yet.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and just get going... Sure, now you have 10 more pounds to lose, but it really doesn't make a difference. The steps are all the same, it will just take you a little longer than you thought...

You can do this! And there are tons of people here to support you.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/239/155

Height: 5'7"

Talking Depression stinks!

Depression stinks but you were already to start your diet and start losing weight so just do what you were going to do and just pretend 159 was your starting weight anyways(I know easier said than done).You can do it!!!!! You are the only one who's opinion matters in this case.Good luck!!!
wanttobethinandtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You need to reframe your mindset. This wasn't a setback. From before you weighed yourself to after, nothing really changed. You weighed the same amount. You just became better informed. Your weight didn't "go up" - it stayed the same.

So where you're starting is where you're starting, regardless of whether you'd stepped on that scale or not. And it can only get better from there!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #7  
Baby Stepping Along

Buuuuummmmer...I'm sure that is discouraging.

Here's a way you might think about it. You have a destination in mind and you really want to go there (maybe a special store? a beautiful nature setting?) and you thought it would take you 2 hours to get there but you actually look it up on google maps and you discover, no, it's going to take 2 1/2 hours. Is it time to cancel the plans? Probably not.

You'll get the weight loss done and who knows what will happen between here and there. There will likely be other detours and frustrations and this is just one. Try not to let the extra information be a show stopper...it's just a change in route. This is part of the journey...handling detours and you got your first chance to practice!

HTH a bit! Doing a little bit today moves you a little closer to your goal!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't think anything's changed. You still look and weigh the same as you did before you stepped on that scale. The only difference is now you have a more accurate number to work with.

Losing weight is a doable thing. Whether it be 10 lbs, 20 or 50. Each and every excess pound that we have on us, is one that we can LOSE.

So instead of getting depressed about it and feeling hopeless and doomed, take some positive ACTION. Get committed and excited about the changes that you will make to ensure a slimmer, trimmer & happier you. Seek and map out a plan to get the weight off and stick to it. Become really, really determined and throw yourself into it. Losing weight is within your control. Your power. You CAN make it happen. Incorporate healthy foods and habits into your life, that you are willing to stick with forever, then it won't make one bit of difference how much or how little you have to lose.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Embrace the knowledge, you're not afraid any more! You are strong enough to face that scale, make a plan, set goals, commit to them, and start making progress! That's actually quite an accomplishment, I know I hid from the scale for YEARS! You can do this!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 159/???/115

Thanks guys. I'm trying to forget about the stupid number on the scale and more about how I feel....and so far I feel pretty good!
Lizxbeth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #11  
~jus' being me~

I am doing the same . . . my mind feels 'thin' this week so that is what I am focussing on. Feeling like this also helps to keep me fuelling my body with good food, so I figure eventually the scale will catch up

Last edited by Madison; 07-04-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typo
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote