Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #1  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink a question....or 12, from a newbie

What is a points challenge? I see that phrase on several threads but not sure what it is. Also, I am having so much trouble with water. I never can seem to make my goal. Are you guys "guzzlers" (drink a big amount all at once) or "sippers" (drink little bits all day long), and which method seems to work the best, in your opinion? Does anyone here have to take insulin? It is so freaking hard to lose weight while taking huge amounts of it (and if I'd lose weight, I wouldn't have to take huge amounts of it....paradoxical circle) and I wonder if any of you have this challenge and what you do about it? It is so frustrating to be doing all the right things and the scale doesn't move. Last question, how do you all MAKE yourselves get moving, when it's the last thing you want to do. It's another paradox for me, my back and joints hurt and I don't want to move, but if I don't move and get the weight off, my back and joints will hurt worse. AARRGGHH!! What things do you tell yourselves to inspire you to exercise, or make you go even when you don't want to?
Thanks for listening, and (as you can probably tell) I need all the help I can get.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:39 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Default well

I will try & help as best I can:

What is a points challenge? I see that phrase on several threads but not sure what it is.

I dunno either. I used to think it had something to do w/WW & their points, so I stayed out of those threads, but now I think it just means you get a point for "being good" w/your food, drinking your water, and getting your exercise in every day. But I could be wrong.

Also, I am having so much trouble with water. I never can seem to make my goal. Are you guys "guzzlers" (drink a big amount all at once) or "sippers" (drink little bits all day long), and which method seems to work the best, in your opinion?

I am a guzzler. I chug huge amounts all day b/c I get thirsty. The way I did it was to casually cut down the amount of soda I was drinking, til I was down to one a week for a treat. You shouldn't replace the "real" soda w/diet, b/c a) water is better for you & b) you don't need all those chemicals. & c) it'll help you reach your water goal faster if you're replacing those sodas w/water.

That was the other thing I had to learn the hard way--drinking my calories. I went from Snapple & soda to water & Kool Aid, til I eventually stopped drinking my calories & started having equivalent calories in things that would fill me up, like an apple or pear and some crackers, or something similar.

The more water I drink, the easier it is for me to stay on plan. I don't reach for the wrong things, I feel better, I look better, etc.

Does anyone here have to take insulin? It is so freaking hard to lose weight while taking huge amounts of it (and if I'd lose weight, I wouldn't have to take huge amounts of it....paradoxical circle) and I wonder if any of you have this challenge and what you do about it?

No, I don't. That is a big obstacle to overcome.

Last question, how do you all MAKE yourselves get moving, when it's the last thing you want to do. It's another paradox for me, my back and joints hurt and I don't want to move, but if I don't move and get the weight off, my back and joints will hurt worse. AARRGGHH!! What things do you tell yourselves to inspire you to exercise, or make you go even when you don't want to?

Um, lately the inspiration has been my stepsister's upcoming wedding. I have about a year to lose some weight, so I can at least look presentable. And saying that is not cutting myself down at all--my stepsister is gorgeous--she looks like the love child of Jennifer Lopez & Drew Barrymore. I know I'm pretty in a different way (blond hair, blue eyes) but standing next to her is always somewhat daunting. I'm not saying I want to outshine her on her big day, but neither do I want to look fat & miserable.

The thing that helped me the other day was just to put shoes & socks on. I felt like I had to go for a walk @ that point.

The other thing that inspires me is trying on old clothes to see how far I've come. I gave some size 22 jeans to my mom when I "grew" out of them, saying, "I guess I won't be fitting into these for awhile". She gave them to me 2 weeks ago when I mentioned I was now fitting into 24's, along w/a pair of jean shorts in the same size. And they fit--they are really really snug in the tummy, and I had to lie on the bed to zip them--but I could get in them!! That felt great!!!

I still have some size 20s leftover from my big weight loss from the phentermine--I'm tackling them next!

You're welcome for listening & I hope this helped you some!

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 10-26-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:51 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Ahhh. The points challenge. Let me clear that up for you. We have been having monthly challenges to see who can "earn" the most points following your own plan. You get 2 points for food, 1 point for water and 1 point for exercise. And basically, it's just a fun way to keep daily track of how well your doing and hopefully get a little motivation from the others by trying to get the most points! We have justed finished up one and are now trying to decide when the next one will start. When you join, you just need to post on the daily "challenge" threads how many points you earned on that day.

If you have more questions, please feel free to PM me, I keep track of them. Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:47 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Soiley,

You should read The Zone Diet by Dr. Sears. It deals with evening out your insulin levels. I know many diabetics that love it.

I guzzle. I also make bargains with myself... guzzle this in the next five minutes and I can wander up to the front of the office, chat, and get MORE water.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:26 AM   #5  

The water thing: I sometimes guzzle, sometimes sip. The real trick is getting used to drinking water, any way at all, rather than sodas or whatever. You have to force yourself, and eventually it becomes good. If you always have some with you, it makes it easier. Sometimes guzzling can make your stomach a little sick!

Exercise: Another thing you just have to make yourself do, and it will eventually get to be a habit. I used to have a lot of aches and pains in my back and my joints, but I'm doing significantly better now that I've been exercising regularly for almost 5 months. Sometimes it can be painful even to think about walking, and you could just start out with very short walks -- like 15 minutes, or even 10 (5 out and 5 back). The thing that has worked for me has been lifting weights. Start with very light weights. If you have access to a reclining bicycle or a swimming pool, you can do some aerobic stuff without putting a lot of stress on your achey joints. There's an interesting article on this website about weight lifting over aerobics (not that it's better, but that it can be more enjoyable for some) -- http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html -- click on Getting Started, then look at the article that is headed No Fat Chicks. The ultimate trick, though, is getting past the beginning. Force yourself to do it, and eventually it will be much easier -- you'll actually WANT to do it.

Believe me, I've always HATED exercise. Years ago, I forced myself to start jogging, and after I had been doing it for a month or so I started to actually enjoy it. The same miracle has happened with my weight-lifting -- I have lost nearly 50 pounds in the past year, and I attribute my success largely to the weight-lifting. I don't do much in the way of aerobics (and I'm not saying you shouldn't do aerobics!) -- yet! -- but my attitude and my energy have improved immensely.

Good luck!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 10-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #6  

Looks like all you're questions were answered. I agree..I think you need to look into some diabetic diets. That is you're best bet.

And...of course...Welcome to a wonderful place! Make yourself at home!!

Old 10-31-2002, 10:28 AM   #7  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for your comments and answers and tips. You all are so wise! Thank you for the water tips. I never drink anything but water (don't drink soda, coffee, etc) but since measuring out my day's ration every morning, I have trouble getting it all down in the course of a day. I'll start guzzling a few of my glasses and see how that goes. I'll also try starting out walking 5 mins out & 5 back. It doesn't look so un-do-able that way. Thank you all again.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:51 AM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

AHA - the famous water question. After doing my own scientific study - I have found that if I space my water out during the day, rather than GUZZLE as much of it as possible at a time - I pee less frequently. I like to do anything I can to avoid going to the bathroom every five minute
Closed Thread