Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Have you considered Google? A pet peeve discussion...

I have noticed that there are a lot of people who post questions asking for recipes for specific ingredients. I find it a bit odd that their first inclination is to ask people to write out recipes for them or give them ideas rather than go to Google (or some other search engine) for recipes. I always search for recipes online. Usually they work just fine.

If you want food-specific websites, my personal favorites are:
http://www.epicurious.com/
http://www.marthastewart.com/
http://www.foodnetwork.com/ (just stay away from Paula Dean!)
http://www.eatingwell.com/
http://www.cookinglight.com/
http://www.foodfit.com/
http://www.finecooking.com/

I even find great recipes at Williams-Sonoma.

But really, all you have to do is type "ingredient recipe" in the search field at Google.com, click the Google search button. Like try "low-fat zucchini recipe" ('tis the season, after all) and the first entry will be a link to Cooks.com, where they have 23 recipes for low-fat zucchini bread. The third link will take you to Calorie King's site and recipe for "Grilled Beany Zucchini", which looks really healthy...see, very easy!

Georgia

Last edited by geoblewis; 06-28-2009 at 12:58 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

People ask because they want to try what others have tried. It is nice to get feedback from people from this site about recipes they like. Yes they can go and search it on google, but they can also come here too. That's one of the great things about a messege board.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #3  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

I have to agree with UTgirl, I know I ask is for feedback, and to have social stimulation, to discuss, pros and cons, etc, I love Zaar myself but looking at all those recipe site gets me hungry, so asking for a recipe just cuts out all those mouthwatering pics of food.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Plus here it is implied that the recipe will be light somewhat. Out there you have to wade through a lot of recipes with Paula Deen quantities of "buttah"

As we say on my running board. If you dont want to answer the question, you dont have to, others will be happy to.

Last edited by ennay; 06-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

I've come to this site for info and support, and everyone here has been really great. I participate and share with others too. I guess I'm annoyed that there are a few who ask things like, "What should I do with this okra I planted?" Didn't they think about it before they bought the seeds?

I'm just annoyed today, a broadly spread annoyance that is not exclusive to those who regularly won't do their own research...hmmm...must be TOM!

Georgia
Old 06-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/*ticker*/145

I agree with Jenny too. Although, when I ask a question, it's more along the lines of how something tastes, especially with things I've never tried before, like using crushed FiberOne as chicken or onion ring breading, or Shirataki noodles.
sakurasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

You can also use chickpea flour for breading...just one of those things that I know and love to share.

Geo
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

A "peeve" of mine is people asking others to calculate the calories of a recipe for them, when there are tools online to do this. Or people asking posters to explain or define words or phrases rather than check a dictionary or other online or offline resource.

I think everyone has their minor annoyances, but essentially it's over minutia. It's rarely the "big things" that drive a person crazy with annoyance, it always seems to be little things that are inconsequential.

I don't know why it annoys me when someone asks for a definition they could have gotten faster by "googling," especially since it's not an inconvenience to me, as I'm not under any obligation to answer their question or request (neither is anyone else).

Even though I know that a person "could" google, I enjoy sharing recipes, so I'm not annoyed by those requests. But when someone asks for help that I don't enjoy giving (not a real fan of calorie calculations, and barely want to do it for myself), I sometimes do get annoyed, but that's because I think I feel a sense of obligation that I don't have. Just because they ask, doesn't mean I am obligated to (gasp of horror) do math. I suppose someone who loves math as much as I love inventing recipes, and hates cooking as much as I love it, might be happier to help with calorie calculation, than recipe sharing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #9  

i agree with the above posts, it makes no sense to me why someone would ask others to calculate the calories of a recipe for them or ask other things they could look themselves if they just took the time, i guess they just want someone else to do it for them
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've never actually given anyone this link, but boy have I been tempted sometimes: http://lmgtfy.com/

I'd say I get less annoyed on 3FC than some other forums I frequent. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant here because I like you guys better.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #11  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Ha Ha mayness that is funny, however I would never ask anyone to do the calorie count for me , but I do love to discuss ingredients. taste what not. also never asked for a definition either, I love words, and looking them up is fun.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #12  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Ditto UTgirl.

Also, since there is a sub-forum right her in the FOOD TALK and FABULOUS FINDS called RECIPES, I think that would lead people (such as me, guilty of asking for zucchini bread recipes) to believe that it's legitimate to ask about recipes in this forum...

Wouldn't it be faster to just skim and then ignore a thread rather than get annoyed by it? That's what I don't get.

Last edited by newleaf123; 06-29-2009 at 05:36 PM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #13  

Speaking of zucchini bread recipes, did you try the Mayo clinic one? Was it tasty?
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #14  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

With 3 zucchini staring me down in the refrigerator, it's next on my list! I thought about making it today, but didn't get to it... But I will definitely let you know!

It was 4 zucchini staring me down until lunchtime, when I sliced one up and grilled it - yum!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

Well, yes, ignoring the thread would be the adult, mature thing to do...and I will do that. I was in a mood the day I started this thread, and all my peeves seemed to come to the fore that day.

I am especially glad for Mayness' contribution. I look forward to passing it along to someone!

I recently moved away from a community of people who seemed to need me to be their personal Google access. Most of them are a few years older than me and not really in love with the Internet or the computer beyond email. We were all living overseas and they were accustomed to others discovering information for them to use. At first, I was very eager to be helpful in my community, way back when I was new to the group. But I'm now soooooooooo over them! Maybe not entirely over them...I seem to have this residual distaste for people who won't google for themselves.

Thanks for indulging me!

Geo