South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/294/200

Default Swithching From Atkins to South Beach

Has anyone been on Atkins and switched to South Beach? Was it an easy tranistion, did you gain any weight back?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

I didn't switch from one to the other but I used to do Atkins with my husband.
I feel better doing South Beach ....felt bad with Atkins.

Now being able to eat fruit never made sense to me on atkins.

Also my hubby ate a lot of cold cut meats , sausage, bacon and that made my body ache.

I bet if you are already doing Atkins it will be an easy switch.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy237 View Post
Now being able to eat fruit never made sense to me on atkins.
No fruit is only for the first 2 weeks (Induction)...isn't it the same on Phase 1 of SB?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Maybe we were doing atkins wrong...
I was just copying what hubby was doing
Old 06-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy237 View Post
Maybe we were doing atkins wrong...
I was just copying what hubby was doing
Sounds as though you may have been.
Fruit is permitted on Atkins after Induction.
Cold cuts, sausage & bacon are processed foods...they are "OK"...but, not necessarily encouraged.
Unfortunately, Atkins is often misinterpurted.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Amen to that!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi

I tried Atkins many years ago and didn't stick with it. That was probably excuse #402

For whatever reason, I came to SB this time around and am very happy sticking with it. I am making the change for the "long term" and have lost all cravings for junk.

I have been OP for 7 weeks and have lost 15#. I feel great!

Best wishes!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #8  

Switching from Atkins is an easy transition. Just make sure you read the SB book to see what the differences are and adjust accordingly. You'll find that you actually will feel so much better doing South Beach.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I had two co-workers who were dieting, one on South Beach, and the other on Atkins. They both were beyond the first phase of their respective plans. The constantly bickered about which diet was "best," but they were eating very similarly.

Atkins gives a lot more leeway (though many consider Atkins the more restrictive, but that's because most people associate Atkins only with the Induction phase).

If you're doing Atkins sensibly, it's very possible that you could be eating just like a South Beacher.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss843 View Post
Has anyone been on Atkins and switched to South Beach? Was it an easy tranistion, did you gain any weight back?
The only diet I have ever done besides SB was Atkins. Now let me give you my 2 cents...

I lost so much weight on Atkins quite a few years ago. Great way to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds in 2 months on that diet! However, you cannot maintain that diet healthy... its not good for you. And you tend to CRAVE more on that diet. With South Beach, you can change your whole outlook on eating and be ok with eating the SB way for LIFE!!! With Atkins, if you started eating whole grain breads, etc.. the weight would pile on so quickly! SB just has a better, and more satisfying approach than Atkins.. and you can even switch your family onto it NO PROBLEM. I dont really even consider SB a "diet" just think of it as healthy eating.

GOOD LUCK!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncheree View Post
The only diet I have ever done besides SB was Atkins. Now let me give you my 2 cents...

I lost so much weight on Atkins quite a few years ago. Great way to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds in 2 months on that diet! However, you cannot maintain that diet healthy... its not good for you. And you tend to CRAVE more on that diet. With South Beach, you can change your whole outlook on eating and be ok with eating the SB way for LIFE!!! With Atkins, if you started eating whole grain breads, etc.. the weight would pile on so quickly! SB just has a better, and more satisfying approach than Atkins.. and you can even switch your family onto it NO PROBLEM. I dont really even consider SB a "diet" just think of it as healthy eating.

GOOD LUCK!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!
Ok...now, here's my 2 cents
I beg to differ with the comments you've made regarding Atkins. I have been doing Atkins for 5+ years now...and yes, it is healthy provided it is done correctly. Kaplods is 100% correct, most people only associate Atkins with the initial Induction phase....AND...they believe that phase is strictly an all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. This is totally incorrect. The Induction phase of Atkins is quite restrictive...no fruit, no breads, potatoes, etc. This is for 2 weeks. Some may elect to do it longer and that is perfectly fine....but, what most people are unaware of is that there are 3 remaining phases of Atkins These 3 phases are OWL (On Going Weight Loss), Pre-Maintenance and lastly, Lifetime Maintenance. During the OWL phase, foods such as fruits & grains are slowly added back to your everyday eating in the order of the carb ladder. This is the correct way to determine your personal carb intake (everyone's is different).
It totally infuriates me when I hear people bash Atkins saying its not healthy & if you start to eat this & eat that the weight will come back. Ummmm...Hello, the weight will come back if you don't stick to ANY plan, this is not just exclusive of Atkins. The majority of people I have spoken with that have "done Atkins"....have done it incorrectly and turn around and blame the diet for not working!
Bottom line is this, if you aren't willing to change your eating habits for the rest of your life....expect your weight loss to be short-lived. Successful & permanant weight loss requires you to make whatever eating plan you chose...a lifestyle.
All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, JerseyGyrl and kaplods. You said it better than I could.

Let's not turn this into a bashing of either plan. They do have lots of similarities and both are very effective and healthy IF DONE CORRECTLY!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Ok...now, here's my 2 cents
I beg to differ with the comments you've made regarding Atkins. I have been doing Atkins for 5+ years now...and yes, it is healthy provided it is done correctly. Kaplods is 100% correct, most people only associate Atkins with the initial Induction phase....AND...they believe that phase is strictly an all you can eat red meat, bacon & butter diet. This is totally incorrect. The Induction phase of Atkins is quite restrictive...no fruit, no breads, potatoes, etc. This is for 2 weeks. Some may elect to do it longer and that is perfectly fine....but, what most people are unaware of is that there are 3 remaining phases of Atkins These 3 phases are OWL (On Going Weight Loss), Pre-Maintenance and lastly, Lifetime Maintenance. During the OWL phase, foods such as fruits & grains are slowly added back to your everyday eating in the order of the carb ladder. This is the correct way to determine your personal carb intake (everyone's is different).
It totally infuriates me when I hear people bash Atkins saying its not healthy & if you start to eat this & eat that the weight will come back. Ummmm...Hello, the weight will come back if you don't stick to ANY plan, this is not just exclusive of Atkins. The majority of people I have spoken with that have "done Atkins"....have done it incorrectly and turn around and blame the diet for not working!
Bottom line is this, if you aren't willing to change your eating habits for the rest of your life....expect your weight loss to be short-lived. Successful & permanant weight loss requires you to make whatever eating plan you chose...a lifestyle.
All the best to you!

First of all I wasn't "bashing atkins" I was simply giving my opinion on how I believe South Beach is a healthier choice than Atkins. Atkins allows higher fatty foods.. bacon, butter, heavy cream, etc... I personally believe that this is less healthy than using skim milk.. low fat cheeses, nonfat sour cream and cottage cheese. MY personal opinion. I think South Beach is an all enclusive way of choosing healthier food choices to maintain conservative/healthy eating. It's great that you are passionate about Atkins, I am passionate about South Beach... whatever works and makes you feel healthy and great about yourself!!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

On that note, I'll close the thread.

The original question was whether anyone had switched from Atkins to South Beach. I'm assuming you meant recently. Nobody has responded so I guess we have no switchers.
Closed Thread