Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/165

Height: 5'5"

Smile Women of Color

Hi, Ladies!

I’m so happy to be the one to start this thread! I see a lot of women of color on this site, and I thought we could use a group. This site is great, and I love being a part of other forums. However, I know there can be some weight loss issues that are unique to women of color due to having a different perspective on culture/body image. Hopefully this thread will grow to the point where we can have a new forum, so let’s make it grow ladies!!!

And let’s remember, this isn’t about segregating ourselves. This site is about support! I’ve gotten great support and met a lot of really cool chicks on this site. This is just another place to talk about weight loss or life issues with ladies whose background/perspective may be similar to yours.

Love you all!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Beaka - this an awesome thread. You are right there are issues unique to us when it comes to WL and body issues. Gurl I have been measuring my hindparts faithfully making sure I am not losing too much..! LoL.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #3  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Hi ladies! Good to see you again!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #4  

CAKE!!! Girl, why did I have a darn fit when I lost 1 inch off the booty!!! I can't afford to lose any!!! But I can say that it's taking on a much better shape

Grneyemustang: ATL, Shawty!!!

Ya'll I definitely think this could be a great thread, so spread the word! If it ever becomes it's own forum, it has to grow. I just hate that it's over here. It's not too visible. But anyway! Glad you ladies posted!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #5  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

i am soooo glad that u started this beaka! i definitely had been thinking about it so when u and i spoke about it i was super excited.

i think that we have some issues that are definitely a little unique for example when i was skinny i prayed to be "thick" and boy did the Lord bless me tenfold ha!

there are also some interesting facts about women of color and weight loss that we maybe would want to discuss.

if people dont mind i can try to find an article we could discuss every week just to try to keep the thread alive and so we can learn new things. let me know

i'm uber excited! ttyl
Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/206/125

Height: 5'3

Hii! Nice to meet you all. I do have a question though. I try to be part of a thread but I can never find them again haha.. so I saw the "subscribe to this thread" button and I am guessing that is how you follow them. But I subscribed to another one too but never got any email alerts yet and it was an active thread so I'm sure there were posts. How do I follow a thread exactly?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #7  

Brie: That's a great idea!!! It'll definitely mix it up... and why am I STILL praying for some booty?!?! Girl I wish I could get blessed tenfold with that!

LoveDC425: Go to your User CP> Click on "List Subscriptions"> Check the "Notifications" box next to this thread. So glad to have you!!! And I see you're in DC! I'll actually be moving to the area in a month or so.

Side note: Super excited about this thread... probably a little too excited.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #8  

It must be fate. i was thinking about starting the same thread just the other day. It's nice to have some people out there that understand.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #9  

I would love to join in on this thread.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #10  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveDC425 View Post
Hii! Nice to meet you all. I do have a question though. I try to be part of a thread but I can never find them again haha.. so I saw the "subscribe to this thread" button and I am guessing that is how you follow them. But I subscribed to another one too but never got any email alerts yet and it was an active thread so I'm sure there were posts. How do I follow a thread exactly?
Thanks
when u get to the subscribe options u have to choose email notifications and u can choose instantly, daily or weekly. if u leave it as is it will not send u email notifications. hope this helps!

k i will be researching my first article topic for tomorrow morning!

welcome everyone!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #11  

I was thinking maybe we should introduce ourselves:

Hey!!! I'm Beaka. I'm from Mississippi. Currently living in ATL and about to move to DC. I'm a health educator (obviously not in nutrition). I work in sexual health. I'm single with no children. I've been overweight my WHOLE life. This is actually the smallest I've been as an adult. At my largest I was a size 22. I'm currently a 16/18 and my goal is to be a 10/12. My current goal is to be under 200 lbs by my 25th birthday (August 23). I've been slacking off lately, so ya'll have permission to stay on me. I'm somewhat of a calorie counter. I watch what I eat. I try to stick to lean meats, whole grains, and fruits/veggies. I also work out about 4 times a week.

I usually hang out in the 20-somethings thread. So I'll be back and forth between here and there. I know some of you already and look forward to getting to know the rest. Weight loss is hard, but I know we can do it!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Beaka, I saw someone who looked JUST LIKE YOU at the TJMaxx in Duluth, off Pleasant Hill Road, about a month ago. What a coincidence if it was you!!!

Hello to Cakebatter, Bejeweled, LoveDC425, OhPuleezee, and CandTlove!!!!

Since we're making introductions...my name is Paula - and I'm from the A-A-A-A!!! I work for a Software Company, and have also been overweight most of my life. At my smallest adult weight, I was 160 pounds, and that was after a bout of the chicken pox (I'd kill to be 160 now)! Anyway, I am currently on the South Beach Diet, have been for a year, and since I started dieting last May, I've lost 50 pounds!!! I'm currently having a difficult time because I've been in party mode since Memorial Day. My ultimate goal is to be a size 12, or maybe even a ten...but my first (major) goal is to get under 200 pounds.

Someone mentioned booty - I've never really had one, really wish I had one, so I'm hitting the squats and lunges in the gym, trying to get one!!! And the hair thing - don't get me started...reference the "hair maintenance for women of color" thread if needed... *sigh*

Good to meet you all!

/off topic RIP to Michael Jackson. He will surely be missed...May he have the peace he deserved.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 06-25-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #13  

Hey Ladies!

I'm so excited about this thread and it came at a really good time. I've been reading a lot about weight loss for women in the afro american community and I've been trying to find weight loss blogs and such with women of color, but sadly I really haven't found too many.(If ya'll know some please let me know!) I think this thread is a great idea and I can't wait to get to know you ladies better.

Ok a little about me...I'm a 21 full time married college student. I'm nursing major and I have been overweight FOREVER, eh feels like it. Seriously though I dont think I've ever been smaller then a 14 except for a few months when I was a 12 a few years back. I've lost a little over 30lbs since I started this journey in March 09 and I basically calorie count and workout when I'm in the mood. When I lose a little more I do want to start hitting the gym more. Well that's about it.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #14  

Grneye: I don't think it was me. I only really go out there when I take sewing classes. As for the booty, my trainer told me I should do more squats vs lunges to make it happen. You've lost a lot of weight so far!!! Way to go!

Kindra: Hi!!! So glad you've found a place! Plus, we're the same height and I want to get down to where you are!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know you too!

I'm about to get my butt in the bed.

RIP MJ and Farrah.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #15  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

girls!

OMG crazy, just this morning I was checking my butt out in the mirror and praying that I don't lose it! I mean, it's already shrinking!
Closed Thread