Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Question Intermittent Fasting.

Ok,

I want to know if anybody else has ever used this to lose weight. I have in the past. I was very successful. I lost from 170 lbs down to 135. And it seemed effortless. I did it in 2001 and I kept it off for 2 almost 3 years. But then I let a crisis derail me. and gained all my weight back plus 15.

How I did it was for 2 weeks. Alternate days of fasting. Take a break for a week. Resume alternate day fasting. edited to say: Once I reached my goal weight I maintained with an 80% whole food diet. I stayed very picky about my sweets. I just ate healthier it was easier as my whole system was toned and clear.

by fasting I mean nothing you have to chew. I sip on v8 or green tea I personally make and sweeten lightly with honey. I add acv to this because it really helps with the blood sugar headaches.

the next day I eat what I crave. and not extensively but I do not deprive myself of anything. If I want a cookie I can have it. A piece of cake? yes. NOrmally however, I do not want these things. I crave nuts, fruits and veggies and fish instead.

fasting for one day makes my sweet tooth instantly disappear, and causes me NOT to want to eat all day on the days I am supposed to eat. I also get extremely energized on fasting days. And I feel great. Sometimes on days that I eat I will feel sluggish after eating carbs. But, then the next day it goes away.

Any body ever try anything similar? It's called intermittent fasting and there is a lot written about it.

Last edited by jendiet; 06-20-2009 at 10:24 PM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #2  

I have tried that. What I did was 20 hours of fasting, followed by 4 hours of eating. Not 4 solid hours of eating, just eating when I wanted till full. I always ate healthy foods and tried to make sure that I was providing my body with the best nutrition for the calories. Although, it was nice to have a piece of cake and ice cream at a birthday party or have candy at Christmas and not feel like I was doing some thing horrible. There use to be a very large community of intermittent fasters on the low carb friends website.

I quit IFing because of DH. He was not happy with my eating schedule. Too bad, as it worked for me too. I noticed that I felt like I was not sluggish and I had no cravings for sugar either.
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I do this with Slim Fast to get off "weekend weight". I started it in April when I was trying to win the bet that started this weight loss with my son. But, it helped me with craving so much I do it occasionally now. I do not do it for 2 weeks straight, usually for a Monday and Tuesday if needed. It has helped me--- especially with the cravings.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #4  

NIkki, i think it was working for you the same way it is working for me. I am sorry DH was unhappy. SO doesn't mind, as long as I cook for him. Which while I am fasting, my hunger is low I can cook most things. I can not cook my own FAVORITE foods.

isn't it amazing how IF helps you with cravings. So the key to overeating is not eating for a period. The body is amazing.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #5  

The part DH hated was when we went out for lunch or dinner and I'd be fasting. I'd drink some tea or some thing and he'd feel uncomfortable eating in front of me. No matter how much I told him that I didn't mind. Plus, he was always pressuring me to eat. It's not like I'm wasting away though
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #6  

lol...I went through the same thing with SO...he was like I'd like to look over there and see you eating something more than leaves...that was when I was vegan. lol.

your honey is going to be the first sabotager of your weight loss. They don't mean to do it, they just do it subconsciously.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #7  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I did that in college, and I did not do it in any kind of healthy way but I got results. Now I am almosr 40 no way that would work for me. I'd pass out.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  

lol, prinny. It does take getting used to, do you have other blood sugar problems? Also I am doing it over the summer, when I'm not working and not going to school. If I had to work or go to school. I would do ADF with juice fasting.

you are doing well enough on your plan!!!