Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #1  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Default I Feel Sad and Overwhelmed Now...

I just realized my weight is over 100# more than I weighed when I was in college.

I am 45 years old and need to lose over 100#. I can't find a word to describe how I feel. Stupefied might be a good one.

I feel numb thinking about doing this. It's an incredibly overwhelming feeling I can't seem to wrap my mind around. It's like every time I start thinking about it I sort of just short circuit and my mind fizzles.

I don't know where or how to find the motivation. I have been losing and gaining the same 70# over and over and over again in the last 10 years.

I have not posted in a while and I am so far gone I don't know how I will ever get back on track.

My husband and I just went to Chicago for a visit with family and I felt like a slug the entire time. Everyone running up and down the Navy Pier and Shopping the "Magnificent Mile" and I could hardly move, much less keep up.

I was embarrassed and very angry with myself. Instead of taking charge and eating right I totally gorged myself each and every day using the excuse that it is "Chicago Food".. and well Lord knows I can't "get that here in Orlando". What a joke.

Now I just feel overwhelmed and don't really know where to start. I desperately need a few encouraging words.

I am going in to change my stats. 234.5 pounds today and I am not even 5' 4".

Last edited by Runundefined; 06-24-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Ohhh, you sound so sad! I'm really sorry you are so down right now...

I think that, honestly, what you need to do is accept this as your lowest of lows and use this feeling of despair as a reminder that you don't ever want to feel this way again.

You have managed to take off and keep off 23 lbs, it sounds like? Take that as your one little positive (and it's not a little amount or a small feat!), resolve that you are going to build on it, and then just start doing what you already know you need to do.

Start small. Pick one thing today that you are going to do better, and do it for 3 days. Like, make healthy choices for breakfast. Or, park your car farther away. Or, what have you. Enable yourself to feel some success. Then build on it. Every 3 days, add something new. Before you know it, you will be feeling success and feeling in the swing of things again.

Good luck and keep posting!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #3  
Changing behaviours

The good news is... you can start today. Just start today. And next week you'll be a pound or two lighter, ditto the week after that, and so on and so on.

It doesn't matter that you've got a lot to lose, or that it may take a while. This time next year you can be thinner, or heavier, or the same. June 2010 will come around whatever else you do.

Taking steps to be healthier is its own reward. Weight loss is a happy side effect, and so is feeling better mentally.

I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed; I've felt that way too, when the road ahead looks hopeless. But you can do it! The chickies here will help.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #4  
Changing behaviours

Default By the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runundefined View Post
I
I don't know where or how to find the motivation.
Here's a link to a recent thread about motivation and commitment:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ion+commitment

Lots of good stuff in there; check out RockinRobin's post. And if you enter "motivation commitment" into Search and select Show Posts, loads of other good stuff will come up.

Hang in there, you can do this!

Last edited by Fressca; 06-24-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Run, a trip to Chicago was my wake up call too! Whenever I'm feeling down on myself, I visualize how I felt both physically and emotionally when I visited Chicago last fall. Then I check in with myself today and I am in a much better place than during that visit. I hear you on the "Chicago food". One of my biggest obstacles during this journey has been coming to terms with the fact that there is always going to be more of that "good food" around and that I don't have to eat as much as I can before it's all gone.

Take a deep breath and breathe! I understand that crazy anxious and overwhelming feeling of despair. You need to be really kind and gentle to yourself. By eating and drinking well, getting proper rest and exercise you will get to that place of well-being.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #6  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

You are here and that's a big first step. You CAN do this one pound at a time! Set some smaller goals for yourself. I have found it helps to look at this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. The way I am eating now is how I will need to eat the rest of my life.

Do you exercise? Adding in a walk every day is a great way to boost your spirits and kick start your metabolism. Increase your length and speed as you are able. The important thing is to start moving.

This is a great place to be for support and encouragement. We are all here for the same reason. We are here to help you.

Don't get too caught up in the number on the scale. There are many other benefits to losing and a healthier lifestyle. Focus on the NSV's too.

Looking forward to getting to know you better!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #7  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Welcome, Run! You CAN do this ... the forum is stuffed with people of every age, with every obstacle who are finding the path that works best for them - including those who've gained and re-lost and re-gained. Seems like all you need is a willingness to try some new things and to want to be in a better place! Action is the antidote for despair - if you don't like where you're at, YOU are the only person who has the power to move you.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I can appreciate how you feel. I'm 5'2" and in my early 40's and I gorged on Chicago food (or any other food for that matter) for more years than I care to admit until I finally had the courage to step on the scale and discover that I was 180 pounds overweight. Obese by any standards.
It's overwhelming to think about losing 100+ pounds but if you start making changes now you'll be much happier with yourself this time next year. I wasn't willing to give up carbs or "normal" food so I decided to do some small alterations to my daily eating habits. Instead of setting any foods as "off limits", I simply made a conscious effort to ADD produce and water to my daily consumption. I started drinking 8+ glasses of water and eating 5+ servings of vegetables and 2+ servings of fruit daily. Then I gradually added light exercise and have been increasing the exercise ever since. And I've lost 44 pounds since the middle of March just by doing those things.
Perhaps you can choose some small changes you're willing to make in your own lifestyle and start dropping some of those pounds that are making you miserable. I wish you all the best in your weight loss efforts.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #9  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - I can't remember who said that, but I think it really captures how overwhelmed we can feel when we start the journey to health and how it is just a matter of starting with small steps.

One step at a time, one day at a time you can improve your health. The rewards of feeling better will happen quickly, so that helps to keep the momentum going.

You will find lots of support here and it really helps to check in every day or as often as you can. The group is really helpful in giving advice and helping to understand how we can get to a better place with our health.

presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #10  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the group.

Although you are overwhelmed now you have taken the first step in a journey that will change your life. The fear and desperation you feel now can be scary but use that to find the motivation to move forward.

You will find many opinions on how to create a program that works for you. Personally I jumped in with both feet and immediately started by reducing my calories to 1500, logging EVERYTHING I put in my mouth, exercising six days a week, posting here daily and most importantly being honest with myself.

As others have said YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Just take a look at the "Goal" photo album of those that have been in your shoes.

We are here for you... come join us on the regular 40 something monthly chat where you will get to know many of the ladies that have posted here.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Two years ago I was where you are now (except I was 43 then). Now look at me - 114lbs lighter and so much more healthier and happier. It can be done, I'm proof and so are many others on these boards. Read the stories to inspire you. As others have said don't concentrate of the big picture first off. When I started I did just that and thought I would take each day as it came and to see how far I could really go. It was only after losing about 50lbs that I started thinking that yes, I can really do this and can really achieve goal. And now I'm only 6 lbs away from the target I set myself back then. For me just sticking to it and being consistent has been the key.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 06-24-2009 at 11:54 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #12  
Beach Babe Wannabe

Wow, just wow.

I started writing responses several times and each time I would just start crying to the point I could not see to continue and I stopped. So many things each of you said rang true for me.

I think seeing that many of you are in a similar place as me certainly has helped me in some way. I was beginning to feel isolated. I really needed to hear that and to post here. Thank you.

Also seeing so many of you that just finally did this did help to shake me out of my funk a bit.

I had to really think on why I am here (gained so much of my weight back) again. I think I am such an all or nothing person and that is contributing to my lose/gain cycle.

I am very strict to the point of obsession when I am eating “right” so much that it leads to feelings of deprivation and then I go “off plan” and go crazy with food.

I have got to somehow find a balance. I think knowing that somehow has helped me also.

I am also in physical pain (back issues from the weight gain) and that really brings it home.

Thank you to each and every one of you that took the time to write the heartfelt posts. I am having a better afternoon.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #13  
ann
ann

S/C/G: starting weight 210lbs

Height: 5 ft 2ins

Default we're all here for you

welcome run, we're all here today becos we were were you are ,yesterday, last month, last year. don't be sad be positive you can do this one pound at a time and one day at a time. give yourself a target, something small and work towards it, it worked for me, i stopped looking back and starting looking forward.i wanted a dress for my sons wedding and i got it, it's a size bigger than i'd hoped for but i feel good in it and thats what counts
ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Don't get discouraged! You can do this Just a few months ago I was 44 and weighed 190 lbs. I am only 5'3". I will be 45 in November and I made the decision that my birthday was coming no matter what I did, why not celebrate it in the best shape of my life. I am down to 133 in 4 short months and not sure how far I really want to push it at this point, but, I feel so much better about myself now.

I agree with giving yourself something to shoot for. A new dress, pants, etc, in the size you want to be. I had a size 7 junior pair of Levi's that I so wanted to wear and I hung them where I could see them every day. I was determined to wear them and I did in April. Now they are kind of saggy but its ok, got a new pair of size 4's that I'm about into comfortably. Maybe you will find motivation in this way?
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #15  
Beach Babe Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL View Post
Don't get discouraged! You can do this Just a few months ago I was 44 and weighed 190 lbs. I am only 5'3". I will be 45 in November and I made the decision that my birthday was coming no matter what I did, why not celebrate it in the best shape of my life. I am down to 133 in 4 short months and not sure how far I really want to push it at this point, but, I feel so much better about myself now.

I agree with giving yourself something to shoot for. A new dress, pants, etc, in the size you want to be. I had a size 7 junior pair of Levi's that I so wanted to wear and I hung them where I could see them every day. I was determined to wear them and I did in April. Now they are kind of saggy but its ok, got a new pair of size 4's that I'm about into comfortably. Maybe you will find motivation in this way?
I really would love to know about how you are doing it! Please share!
Fantastic results.

I have a couple of motivational outfits on the back of my closet door. I want to wear them in a bad way!