Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Easier to get through hot summer when you weigh less?

It's been a cool spring here in New England so far, but the heat is starting to creep in, and I'm dreading it. At my size, I know I'm going to have to battle heat-related chafe under boobs and belly. I don't feel like exercising because it's too hot, etc. etc. etc.

Is it easier for you to get through the summer heat now that you weigh less? If you're not close to your goal yet, can you remember about how much you had lost before you noticed the heat was easier to tolerate?
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It is much easier to get through the summer heat...today the high is 106 with a heat index of 120. Yuck. We are bordering on a drought but our humidity levels are almost at 100%, talk about feeling like you are walking into a wall when you step outside! Anyways.....

I can wear shorts and tank tops & not feel like everyone is staring at me When I was at my heaviest I started to sweat as soon as I opened the door....now not so much. So yeah I can handle it a lot better now
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I've found it easier so far. Last week I was in temps of 92 degrees, when here is more like 60. I had no leg chafing, no underboob chafing and only a little split under the lower spare tyre - much better than usual. I'm assuming it'll get better still.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
It is much easier to get through the summer heat...today the high is 106 with a heat index of 120. Yuck. We are bordering on a drought but our humidity levels are almost at 100%, talk about feeling like you are walking into a wall when you step outside! Anyways.....

I can wear shorts and tank tops & not feel like everyone is staring at me When I was at my heaviest I started to sweat as soon as I opened the door....now not so much. So yeah I can handle it a lot better now
Wow, I don't know how you do it! It's only 81 here right now, and I'm about to roast.

It's good to know it'll get easier to handle though. Can't wait for that. It would be nice to actually *enjoy* summer again.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #5  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I live in Orlando and I am absolutely miserable in the heat already. I have to get out VERY early in the AM to do my walk (when I am doing it!) or I just can't handle it.

The older I get the harder the heat is on me. Of course having a nice thick layer of insulating FAT helps, right!?

I am actually pretty upset with myself right now because of this. I SWORE to myself this past summer I was not going to be fat thru another summer here!
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

I have to get things done outside before 8:30am or wait till the sun starts to go down around 8pm. If I go out in the middle of the day I try not to stay out too long since we've been issued warnings. It's a record breaking summer so far...we typically get to the high 90's but lots of rain too.

Runundefined- Don't be too hard on yourself You can lose the weight as long as you don't give up on yourself. I started last May also wanting to enjoy my next summer. Your time will come! Heck enjoy this one....this is the beginning of your new life
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #7  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I have to get things done outside before 8:30am or wait till the sun starts to go down around 8pm. If I go out in the middle of the day I try not to stay out too long since we've been issued warnings. It's a record breaking summer so far...we typically get to the high 90's but lots of rain too.

Runundefined- Don't be too hard on yourself You can lose the weight as long as you don't give up on yourself. I started last May also wanting to enjoy my next summer. Your time will come! Heck enjoy this one....this is the beginning of your new life

Aww thank you for the kind words RomanceDiva.
I happen to remember a few very steamy (in a good way) Louisiana nights back in the day (had friends that lived in LA). The humidity is GOOD for your skin anyway!
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #8  
Loving life!!

Those kind of nights are the best here hehe
Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runundefined View Post
I live in Orlando and I am absolutely miserable in the heat already. I have to get out VERY early in the AM to do my walk (when I am doing it!) or I just can't handle it.

The older I get the harder the heat is on me. Of course having a nice thick layer of insulating FAT helps, right!?

I am actually pretty upset with myself right now because of this. I SWORE to myself this past summer I was not going to be fat thru another summer here!
I'm right with you. I've been "wanting to enjoy" summers for the last 30 of them, and haven't gotten there yet.

I've been working on getting to 10,000 steps a day on my pedometer, but once the heat sets in, I tend to sit the summer away.

I feel for you being in Orlando too. My daughter moved to Florida, and she tells me it's "quite warm" down there, lol.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #10  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Default Chafing

Hi Becky,

I use a product for chafing made by Monistat called Chafing Relief Powder Gel.

It helps alot!

Deb
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #11  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

It's much easier to get through the warm weather for me now. I can move and breathe better. Since I don't get as hot and sweaty, I save quite a bit on air conditioning as well. For the first time in 20 years I'm really enjoying summer.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #12  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

When we used to go on week-long camping trips in August, I always had to brace myself for the first two days. They were the worst, in terms of getting used to the heat and sweating and all. Then I'd get somewhat acclimated to living outdoors, and it wouldn't be too bad. (Of course, you also have to realize that I was wearing medieval-style garb the whole time, so imagine August heat while wearing long dresses and a veil over my hair!)

Now when we go weekend camping, I just plan to wear a sports bra the whole time. They soak up so much more sweat, and they are more comfortable when wet. I don't even bring a regular bra. The leg chafing is still a real problem. I ordered some wicking undershorts from Junonia, hoping to get them in time for the next hike or camping trip, but they're on backorder. So I bring lots of cotton undies, and try to plan swimming in the afternoon so I can change into clean dry undies afterward.

When I garden, it's that sports bra again, and a bandana on my head under my gardening hat to keep the sweat from getting in my eyes.

Last edited by synger; 06-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I wrote this over at the Maintainer's Forum a couple of weeks ago. It's from the Maintainer's NSV thread:

My NSV - it's more like a feeling. The summer. I used to loathe and DREAD the summer. Not really the best time of year for a 287 lb 5 foot nothing female. Oh the horrors - all that outdoorsy - physical activity. Oh and the heat. Sweat. Sweat. And more sweat. ALways red faced. And the clothing issues. And the not putting on a bathing suit issue. Issues. Just lots of summer related - issues.

But not anymore!!!!

Nothing to dread/loathe anymore. I LOVE the summer. I feel so regular and normal and average and not stand-out-ish. I love being outdoors. And all of those summer related issues - gone.

Went to the beach this past weekend. What a delight.

Wore cute adorable sandals and clothing. Went shopping and bought MORE cute adorable sandals and clothing.

The summer is no longer a nightmare for me, but a dream. A pure dream. One that I never want to wake up from. I feel like I won the lottery - only better.

And I see I didn't even mention the thighs rubbing together. How could I have forgotten that? It's SUCH a delight to not have to worry about that any more. My thighs are so far apart now, I look almost bow-legged. .
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #14  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

OP ~ I totally can relate you how you feel. We had a scorcher here today -- over 104 F in the sun; record high temps here too, and we live in Northern Ontario, Canada (I mean the FAR north). Something is sure screwy with the weather these days; but thank GOD (and I mean that literally, becuz I was praying for relief), at dinner time, a mini-rain storm came through and cooled things down for us.

ROCKINROBIN ~ whenever I read one of your posts, I am so encouraged: you renew my hope. I actually start believin' that my dream of feeling good in my skin could be real for me again some day ... thanks for sticking around here and encouraging the rest of us along!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post

ROCKINROBIN ~ whenever I read one of your posts, I am so encouraged: you renew my hope. I actually start believin' that my dream of feeling good in my skin could be real for me again some day ... thanks for sticking around here and encouraging the rest of us along!
Good. Good. That's the plan . Be encouraged, because you see, there is hope. What is it they say, "if you can dream it you can BE it." And you can.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote