Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default discouraged & confused... advice on the scale?

Hi y'all...

I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks since the scale didn't seem to budge so I didn't feel that I had much to say about anything on this forum.

I decided to change my eating habits a bit (i.e. balancing out protein, veggies, fruit, healthy fats, etc) over a week ago (I'm really serious about counting my calories lately in an effort to try to lose weight), and have been dong a new exercise program for almost 2 weeks now in a renewed effort to try to bust out of the 170s and reach the 160s.

Last couple of days I've had some difficulty in having a (sorry for being gross) bowel movement. Before that, my weight had gone down in 2 weeks from 170.8 to 188.6, then it started going up and up for each several days that I haven't had a bowel movement. So I accepted that as normal and didn't fret too much about it, deciding to weigh myself tuesday morning instead of my usual monday as a result of not having a bowel movement.

Then I finally had a bowel movement earlier this tuesday morning and I got on the scale after I was finished in the bathroom and the scale read: 171 lbs. I went back to bed then tried the scale again a couple hours later when I really got up and it reads 169 lbs.

I've been really trying to get out of the DANG 170s for over a month now since I reached 170 lbs.

Do any of you guys think this could be my real scale weight (169 lbs)? I just feel discouraged/frustrated since I haven't been able to get a real reading on my scale for several weeks now and haven't had any consistent numbers lately (something that's new for me, since I've never experienced inconsistent numbers for this long of a period) Advice anyone? Or should I just shut up until next week's weigh in?

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 06-23-2009 at 06:25 PM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Avoid the scale for a week. If you want, though, before you start the avoidance is try to reset it. usually if mine seems stuck, like I've gone to the bathroom and changed clothes and it still doesn't go down, I'll stand on it while holding my 20 pound weights, then weigh myself again. That seems to nudge it (although it can nudge it up, too.)

But really, just take a break for a few days.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

If you are getting on the scale multiple times per day, you need to stop it. You will only drive yourself crazy. Take a break, breath, do what you know is good for you then come back in a week and see what it says.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

If it was bothering me a lot I would take a step back from the scale. If you are true to your plan it will go down but from what I'm going through right now I gotta tell ya it seems like WL gets slow the closer you get to goal.

I stalled out for almost 3 weeks at 171lbs. Blah but it did move
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I didn't go on the scale for the week before last and then checked this past week since I understood starting different eating habits/exercise programs can make you temporarily gain weight.

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I went back to bed then tried the scale again a couple hours later when I really got up and it reads 169 lbs.
If this is the same time you normally get up to weigh yourself, then YES I would assume this is your true scale weight.

Since you only weigh yourself once a week anyway and changed Monday weigh ins to Tuesdays, go ahead with what you gotta do this week and wait until next Tuesday.

If I go a day or so without a BM, my weight doesn't do much either. I notice it usually happens on the days I either go up or down by 500 or 600 calories.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Every reading you get on a scale is a "real" reading.

It's been said before: weigh at the same time of day, wearing the same thing or nothing at all, with an empty bladder. if it's in the morning, weigh before you drink water. Do this whether you weigh once a day or once a week or once a month. This is the only way to smooth out some of the fluctuations (but not all of them).

My weight can go up 3 pounds from morning to evening just due to water weight. So, what's my "real" weight?

The point is, consistency.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Yeah, I don't ever weigh at any time other than first thing in the morning, after I pee and wearing nothing but my birthday suit. If I weigh in the afternoon or evening, it's *always* higher and that's the kind of grief I don't need. It makes sense--I've been eating and drinking all day long and that stuff has mass, so it's going to weigh something!

So...I weigh first thing in the morning. I do step on and off the scale several times and I take the lowest weight, then I forget about it for the rest of the day.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote