Old 06-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/235/150

Height: 5 ft. 4

Default Newbie needs advice

Hello chicks and gents! I have been lurking here for a couple of months and check here daily for information and inspiration. I have been dieting for about two months now, and I don't seem to be losing any weight. At first I did not have a scale, but did measure my waist. After the first month, I had lost a couple inches so I thought I was doing pretty well. I bought a scale and a recumbent bike on May 25th. I started out at 247 and riding my bike for 15 minutes 6 days a week and also lifting 5 lb. weights every other day.

I am now up to 30 minutes a day and am lifting 10lb. weights. I am following the Insulin Resistance diet (I have PCOS), but I am also counting calories. I am weighing and measuring everything and most days end out around 1650 or less calories a day. I always drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

So it has been almost 4 weeks since I bought the scale and bike, and I haven't lost anything! I did lose an additional inch on my waist, hips, and chest the 1st week, but nothing since then. The scale has fluctuated between 245, 246, and a recent scary day at 248. Since I was a couch potato before I started all this, I guess I though I would see some progress by now.

I am not at the point where I want to give up - but I can see it happening if the months keep rolling by with no progress. I think maybe I just need to tweak something, just not sure what that is. More calories? Less calories? What do you think? I would love to get some advice and maybe a little encouragement. Thanks!
alliebaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's only a guess, but it sounds like you may need to lower your calories. That has to be frustrating! Given what you described, I would have expected much better results too if I were in your position.

That said, remember you are bound to be healthier given the exercise and the healthy eating! So that's a very good thing.

Welcome to 3FC!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would ask you this, how accurate are you calorie counts? Are you measuring and writing down every bite, lick, taste and crumb? Is there some way you're underestimating the calories you've consumed? How consistent have you been? Have you had any "off" days whatsoever? These things could slow down your progress.

Giving up is of course NOT an option. With a little more tracking, a bit of experimenting, some tweaking where need be, lots of determination and patience - you WILL get that scale going - in the right direction.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What is your daily calorie target?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Allie, for your height and reported activity level, I believe you're eating just fine. And you've made really good progress! Congratulations.

It's really difficult to maintain weight loss with PCOS. REALLY difficult. You can do it, but accept it will be slow going, slower than most other people. Still, you've continued to lose another inch while not losing "weight". That sounds an awful lot like having lost extra fat and put on some muscle. That's awesome!

If you find that the rate of weight loss has stalled, then its time to increase your exercise or change the modality. Your body is on to you now! It will adjust and try to maintain what it's got. Up to you to trick it into giving up more of the stored energy.

Consider increasing the intensity on your bike. Higher intensity cardio burns more calories while you're doing it. You might consider trying HIIT (high intensity interval training). To start, warm up at an easily maintained pace for five minutes, then pump your legs as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow it down to a level just a little faster than your warm-up speed for 1.5 minutes. Do the fast/slow interval six times, then cool it all down with a slower speed for the last five minutes. That's a total of 22 minutes on the bike. Do that twice a day.

You didn't go into any detail about your weight routine other than how much you're lifting, but you might consider increasing the number of sets that you're doing. Have you had any training for the weight before commencing with it? Because weight training, if done wrong, is ineffective. Proper form and breathing are essential.

Keep it up!

Georgia

Last edited by geoblewis; 06-19-2009 at 06:53 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #6  

Thank you for your replies! To answer some questions - I do believe that I am tracking my calories as accurately as possible, and counting every lick and taste. I am weighing and measuring and for every food, I usually check several different online calorie calculators. If there is a variance in the amount, I record the highest one. In the cases where I am licking or tasting (which is not often), I believe that I am overestimating just to be on the safe side. BTW, rockinrobin, I tried your recipe for green bean fries that I found on 3FC, and they are delicious!

As for my calorie target - I used an online calculator that said to maintain my weight if I were sedentary (which I'm not), I would need 2261 calories a day. So if I subtract 500 to lose 1 lb. a week that is 1761. I basically just figured that if I ate less than this, the weight would come off. To give a little more info., my calorie intake for the last few days has been: 1635, 1555, 1631, 1625. I have only ever had more than 1700 on one day since I started this I had 1725.

Georgia - yes, I have been suspecting that my PCOS is making things difficult, and also suspecting that I might have to get on my bike twice a day and/or up the intensity. I haven't had any previous weight training but I do believe its working. My arms are getting firmer and are starting to show a little shape. Yeah!

Also, decided to measure my legs and arms this morning (which I hadn't done previously) so I can see if some flab is coming off there too. I do feel stronger and have a bit more energy than when I started, so I am trying to look on the bright side.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I truly appreciate all of you! Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #7  

Height: 4'11"

I know it's not much consolation when we all want to lose weight so badly, but just think about what a great thing your doing for your body and your health! That exercise, those healthy foods are a precious gift to yourself.

How many calories were you eating before? If you made a drastic cut then maybe your body needs more calories. Or like the others have said, maybe fewer.

I would checkout the dieting with obstacles forum. Those gals on the PCOS forum will probably be able to give you some good words of wisdom.

Good luck! You CAN do this!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #8  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hi!

I haven't a clue what the problem may be. I just wanted to encourage you to continue to do what's best for your health! The scales aren't the only indicator of change: nor is it really a good one. (There's a great article here somewhere on the evils of the scale. I think it is in the Excercise or fitness forum). Congrats on the change in measurements! That's awesome.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #9  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

You might try shaking up your exercise routine. I've heard that recumbent bikes are great for those with lower body injuries, but not the best calorie burners. Add in some walks, sign up for a group fitness class (I love kick boxing!), or get a fitness DVD (try going to the library to see if they have any you can try so you can see what you like). Good luck!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #10  

Thank you for you kind words of encouragement. I am going to try to tweak a couple things to see if I can kick this weight in the boo-tay! Wish me luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Well, you're losing inches, so I would guess that you're probably gaining some muscle as well. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #12  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
No idea, but it sounds like you are certainly healthier. And don't forget that muscle weighs exactly as much as fat does, it just takes up less room per ounce. This is because muscle is more DENSE than fat. 5 pounds of muscle weighs exactly as much as 5 pounds of fat! It just takes up less space.

Think of it this way: what weighs more, a ton of lead or a ton of feathers? They both weigh the same. There are a heck of alot more feathers, though! So for you, although the weight is the same, you are smaller.

You might want to go to a nutritionist who specializes in PCOS or related hormonal issues. He/she could point you in the right direction. Check your local public health unit, or get a referral from a doctor.

Let us know how you do!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
Well, you're losing inches, so I would guess that you're probably gaining some muscle as well. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room.
Just want to mention that it takes months and months and months to gain muscle, especially for women. Also that muscle weighs the same amount as fat, pound for pound, but that one pound will take up less space in the body.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote