Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #1  

Default How can I modify this exercise?

I started Chalean Extreme 2 weeks ago. I've started to notice a problem in my right knee. I've never had knee problems but noticed this knee performing sub-par for awhile now (before the CE workout). I've been careful with it because I don't want an injury.

Many of the exercises in this video require lunging forward while holding weights in both hands (in my case, 15-20 lb. weights). When I push off to stand from the lunge, my knee does NOT like it. I have concentrated on proper form (keep the knee over the ankle NOT over the toes) but it's just too much on my knee.

My one of my old FIRM videos had you do lunges with the forward foot landing on a step box so that you weren't falling forward all the way to the ground. To increase the intensity, you just sink deeper in the lunge. Pushing off from the box to standing is easier. Does this seem like a reasonable modification? I don't want to quit the CE videos but I can't continue to do them the way she does without creating an injury. Strap a 50 lb. fat suit on half the chicks in that video and they probably couldn't do it either! LOL!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If your modification doesn't hurt, I'd say it's reasonable. I do my lunges on a step for the same reason.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

What if when you push off to stand from the lunge, just straighten the forward leg and bring the back leg forward to stand up. Does that make sense??? Instead of a forward lunge, it's more like a backward lunge.

Also you could try one legged squats.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

You could try static lunges, which is just holding that lunged out position with your feet, lowering into the lunge as far as you're comfortable, and coming back up. You could try the normal lunge without weights added, then if that doesn't hurt, work your way back up to holding added weight. Another good option is step-ups...similar training effect, but I found it easier on the knees. Just use a sturdy step or box or bench of whatever height you are comfortable with, step up, touch the trailing foot on the box or "stand" on the box, your choice, then lower back down...do half your reps with one leg remaining on the box through those reps, then switch legs (or however you want to break them up). Walking lunges may be another option, if you have the space, and it's just like it sounds: take a big lunge step, lower as far as you are comfortable, then the other legs steps forward into a lunge, so you're alternating right/left/right/left. I find those more comfortable than normal "step forward, step back" type lunges. Just experiment, until you find something that doesn't hurt that knee. I did step-ups for a long time, but after some of the weight came off, I found I could do static or walking lunges without pissing off my knees.

PS- your idea of lunging to a step would be a great alternate, I just wanted to give you some other options and ideas, too. Also, if the videos have you doing lunges every single day, that may be part of the problem. You may want to alternate days with another activity or video that doesn't include lunges, or just sub out the lunges for something else, like do deadlifts or squats or abs in place of the lunges, just to keep moving during that time slot. You could also put into something like jumping rope or peddling a stationary bike, box jumps, walk in place...get creative, so you're not burning your legs in the same way every day.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 06-19-2009 at 12:26 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I find that lunges are the things that hurt my knees the most. Lots of good suggestions here. I usually do what Cheryl suggests, get my feet in position, then lower myself down to just where it starts to hurt then back off a bit. For the walking ones I start with a forward lunge down like above, then I stand up straight and do another with the other leg forward rather than trying to move and sink into the lunge at the same time. And I agree, don't do them every day, leave at least a day in between.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #6  

Okay, so I did the workout again yesterday and tried a couple of the different suggestions here. My knees are fine today! Thanks for all the help!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Pat, you're right, I do the walking lunges that way, too, just didn't quite get the description right in print. Sorry for the confusion!

Bee, glad your knees are feeling good!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote