Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #1  

Location: First star to the right and straight on til morning

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I Just Don't Get It-what Do Ya'll Think?

I don't get why I don't naturally lose weight? I don't think I eat much, hmmm denial? But I clean vacation rentals for a living, which means lots of lifting, bending, wax on wax off, and STAIRS!!!! Nothing ground level around here. But yet I can't do a squat. What do you guys and girls think? Has anyone else felt similar to me?
annie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

You don't lose weight naturally if you don't watch what you eat!!! It is hard to work off a DQ Blizzard, or two servings of home made spaghetti...even if you are generally active all the time. And you may be eating and rationalizing your food intake because you have an active job. I mean, it takes 60 minutes of JOGGING at 5 mph for a person your weight to work off a 6 inch personal pan cheese pizza from Pizza Hut! 60 minutes! Of JOGGING!!!

If you want to lose weight, you need to understand exactly what and how much you are eating. And then you need to figure out how to take in less calories so that you lose weight. It is just that simple (but not easy!!!).

As for the squat, well, I think that unless you train for a specific action, you won't naturally get the ability to do it. What I mean is, say, for example, you run 3 times a week. This won't make you a better swimmer. If you cycle, you won't necessarily improve your performance on a rowing machine. SO, unless you are doing squats at work, you won't be able to "pick up" this capability by, say, polishing a mirror.

And I agree -- it SUCKS. But unfortunately it is REALITY...

JMHO

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried just writing down what you eat in a day? That's a simple way to start--just make a list. Put everything on it, no one else has to see it. Do that for a few days.

The next step might be to visit some websites for nutrition information--most fast food places have this information these days. So this would be a start to seeing how much you are eating. Not to make yourself feel bad, but just to see what it is.

And then, you could browse around for sites that tell you how many calories you burn in a day, how many you should eat, etc. Possibilities are FitDay, Freedieting, The Daily Plate, Sparkpeople... and many more.

Your body is used to the activity you do for work, so that's why you don't lose weight. And probably you are eating enough to support that. But I'm just guessing! You can find out numbers for yourself if you want.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 06-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

You really need to take a look at what you are eating and see just how much is really is each day. Being active at work is good but if you are used to it, it won't necessarily help you lose weight.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

You're right, you're in denial just like I was. I didn't know what I was eating until I started keeping detailed logs. You might think "I just ate a sandwich, chips, and a soda for lunch, that's normal right?" But not all sandwiches are made of the same calories my friend and some of my "light lunches" turned out to be well over 1,000 calories.

I hate to tell you because I hate to tell myself but it really is a numbers game. Eat less calories, burn more calories. This is a formula that really helped me calculate how many calories my body needs everyday, do the math and you'll have a good idea of how much you should cut out.

PS, I'm trying to attach a link with the formula but the site won't let me because I'm too new. Here's the formula to calculate your BMR

Step one is to calculate your BMR with the following formula:

Women:
655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Men:
66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Please note that this formula applies only to adults.

Calculate Activity
Step two: In order to incorporate activity into your daily caloric needs, do the following calculation:

•If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent

•If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent

•If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent

•If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent

•If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent

Add this number to your BMR.

The result of this formula will be the number of calories you can eat every day and maintain your current weightt. In order to lose weight, you'll need to take in fewer calories than this result.

As you lose weight, you can re-calculate the formula to assess your new BMR.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to suggest that you write down everything that passes through your lips for 4 or 5 days. Every nibble, bite, spoonful ... candy, gum, coffee, cream, sugar, soda, juice ... everything with amounts. Then enter it into an online calorie counter like fitday.

From there, it'll be easy for you to assess what's going on. And we can help you with that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

The fact that you can't do squats probably means your core strength is poor. Even though you are very active, you might want to consider a regimen of strength training with weights plus squats (start with body weight squats) a couple times a week. Building that muscle also speeds up the metabolism.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well, weight kinda doesn't fall off miraculously. It won't happen on its own. It takes a conscious effort on our parts. All the exercise in the world can't negate taking in too many calories. Having an active job is great, but it can't really take the place of intentional exercise and it can't undo too many calories consumed.

If you are serious about weight loss, then you'll need to start monitoring your calories and create a calorie deficit. Listen to Jay, she's mapped it all out for you. Losing weight IS doable, but it does take a pro-active stance in order to get it done. But rest assured, you CAN do it once you decide to.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I thought this way for a while too. Like: Why am I overweight? I eat pretty healthy, and I'm not a sloth! It should be easy!
Ha! As long as I thought like that, I didn't lose a pound. It takes EFFORT and HARD WORK to lose weight. But on the positive side, I believe it is easier to maintain weight than it is to lose it. For me at least.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #10  

Location: First star to the right and straight on til morning

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'8"

Thanks so much for everyones imput thus far. Lots of good stuff. I've created the Fitday account for starters, today I'm trying to log my food intake. This is the difficult part, to become accustom to putting it all down in somewhat exact proportions. "Like okay I've had some potatoes, well how much potatoes?" But I know I can do this. I have lost weight before and know that intentional exercise is key. I'm just needing more motivation than I have right now. I know in 90 degree heat and your thighs rubbing together rusulting in rash should be enough motivation, but it's not. I am taking tiny steps everyday toward this weight loss goal. Thanks for everyones incouragement and suggestions.
annie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

AWESOME first steps!!! You'll get through this, just be patient and stick with it!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote