Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #1  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Thumbs up WHY is it different this time?

If you are like me, you have lost weight many times, only to "fall off the wagon" and go back to old bad habits. Of course, the weight comes back on and usually brings some friends along with it! For me, I started a new diet every Monday morning, usually after a weekend of binging on fast foods, buffets, and sweets for an entire weekend. Without fail by Wednesday my resolve would be lost and the cycle would begin again.

For some reason, this time it is different. Not to say I will not have setbacks along the way - - I am sure I will. But somehow this time I am seeing it as a lifestyle change, not a diet I can go on to lost the weight then return to old ways. I did not have a slap-in-the-face AHA moment, no bells and whistles, no light bulb went off. I am not sure WHY this time is different, but it is.

I know it has helped me tremendously to visit this site daily for support, so that is a big part of my success. I think WW online is another big part, as I have really gotten into the online point tracking (it is like a game for me ) But as far as why I suddenly had this change and became ready to make a permanent committment, I dunno. I just did!

So, for you on your weight loss journey, why is it different this time for you?
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Not entirely sure....however, in January I found out a friend from down home had passed away at the end of October from a heart attack, he was 39 years old! I just sat there and thought about it and decided that it was stupid to let myself continue on the way I had been and keep eating unhealthy, etc. and this time around it has been really easy. Like you said, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. There are days that I want certain things usually around TOM, but for the most part I have had no major hiccups and I think it's mainly because for some reason my friends death flipped a switch in my brain that woke me up. I don't want to die without seeing my daughter get married, have babies, etc. so here I am 5 months later and 35 lbs lighter with about 45 to go.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hellonurse: why? I don't know: but there are several key changes in thinking that makes it so, I think.
1) If you "get off track" you will get back on. It's not a reason to blow it.
2) The plan you're on is much more reasonable than in the past. In other words, you set it up so it's hard to fail.
3) It's a lifestyle change. That might include the above but it goes further: it means you commitment isn't to something that "ends" but to how you will live the rest of your life. I think that's crucial.

Psst: you=you all (and me!)
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I think the AHA for most of us is that it IS a lifestyle change.

If it is viewed as a diet, it is easy to go on, go off, succeed, fail.

Failing "life" isn't an option

Life has natural ups and downs, successess and challenges, better days, worse days.

When viewed in this context - it really DOES feel different!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #5  
Kitten steps to fitness

S/C/G: 208.5/?/148

Height: 5' 6"

I have mentioned it on another post, but this time it's different because my husband is out of town for the remainder of the year. We tend to lose weight when he travels for extended periods. That's because usually around dinner time, even if one of us plans on being "good" and staying in to cook a healthy dinner, the other one says, "Let's just go out tonight". And of course, the "good" one says "Okay!"

The key will be to continue our healthy new habits after his work assignment is over. I think, because it's going to be such a long time, we will stay successful.
Pas de Chaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #6  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I recently just got over mono. Now it wasn't like I was in super amazing shape before it, but I could walk 3-4 miles, no problem. The evil mono sapped every ounce of strength, stamina, and endurance from my poor body. For me it was a true moment of realization when I went for a walk with my mother and aunt and could barely go a quarter mile before huffing and puffing. That moment began Operation Screw-You-Mono-I-Want-My-Life-Back. I wasn't planning on losing weight, per say, I just wanted my energy back. Luckily for me, Operation Screw-You-Mono kind of shifted into Operation Lard-Bust.

So what makes it different for me this time? Well for one, I graduate college in May '10. This time next year, I hope to be settling into a new apartment, in a new city, and starting graduate school in the fall. I have a fresh start in front of me, an opportunity to reinvent myself. I really want to be a more confident, healthier version of Lisa and for people to get their first impression of me as that confident and healthy person for whom exercise and healthy eating is a normal, consistent part of life.

The other thing is that I'm 22 and will be turning 23 in September. When I was younger, I always imagined I would have my life together by this age, i.e. I wouldn't be fat. NEWS FLASH: The fat isn't just going to come off just because I hit some age. I have to make it come off. And I'm in a great situation to do it: I have an amazing support network, my own elliptical, and my own kitchen.

I think the most important thing is this: For the first time in my life, I truly believe in my head and heart that I am worth this change and capable of making it happen. I think, in previous efforts, a part of me was always resigned to failure and fatness. No more, I am 100% committed to me and I believe in myself.

Thanks for starting the thread. It felt good to think through that. (Sorry for writing a freakin' book!)
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Why is it different this time?

Because I decided to MAKE it different this time. All those other times were 1/2 hearted attempts. This time was different because I was ready and WILLING to make it work. I was ready and willing to do what was necessary to MAKE it work. I was ready and willing to make my health a number one priority.

I suppose all those other times, I didn't really want it badly enough.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I think it's different this time because I feel that I truly understand that this must be a lifestyle change. There is no "stopping" or "going off the diet", not unless I want to bust out the fat pants and the big granny panties again. I honestly don't think I understood that before, but I feel that I do now.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote