Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #1  

Smile Do you have a garden?

I am happy to announce that I finally have a garden!

I've been pining for one for many years, but I've always rented in places that don't allow gardening. This year, however, I rent a place where I can garden.

Since most of my family are farmers and/or gardeners, I can't get away with NOT gardening. They literally come over and plant things in my yard for me!

This year, I have basil, oregano, parsley (flat and curly leaf), rosemary, tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, chives, peppermint, tomatillos, cucumbers, raspberries, rhubarb, zucchini, dandelion greens ( ), and a variety of flowers (annuals). I am excited! I love to watch the garden change and grow.

What is in your garden?
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am doing some Square Foot Gardening, whic is working out really well!

On my patio, I have mint, rosemary, parsley, thyme, cilantro, and chives in pots.

In the square foot garden, I have 4 different heirloom varieties of tomatoes (5 plants total), basil, purple podded green beans and regular green beans, zucchini, lemon cucumbers, three varieties of bell pepper, jalapeno, lettuces, chard, radishes, carrots, yellow squash, two varieties of eggplant, and Amish pie squash. Also some sunflowers for the seeds.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

That's lovely. I wish I had one here.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just put in some yellow-podded wax beans, edamame, and true baby carrots. Hopefully they all last until they are plants (we have a neighborhood cat who seems to delight in ripping out carrot seedlings).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I didn't plant much this year, some heirloom tomatoes, basil, flat leaf parsley, jalapenos, red peppers, poblano peppers, and strawberries.

We don't have a ton of room to garden, last year I did containers so I may bust those out for some more herbs.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #6  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

This year we separated the garden from our lovely swarm of whitetail deer with some serious fencing. In a giddy fit of realizing that we only had to share with extremely brave and very flexible bunnies - we have planted enough to feed the world! Partial list of what's in the 26x38 foot area: 18 varieties heirloom tomatoes, 2 hybrid "fallback" tomatoes. Something like 8 sweet pepper plants and 5 hot types. More than 200 bulbs of garlic. Asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, leeks, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, buttercup squash, watermelon ... peas, green beans (both bush and climbing), onions, both head and leaf lettuces, radishes, chard, spinach ... I know I've forgotten a bunch. I'm married to a Master Gardener and hobbyist gourmet chef. Any wonder why I might have weight issues? LOL!!!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #7  

Herbs: Parsley, mint, tarragon, basil, oregano and thyme- I love just adding a few torn leaves to things and getting a special taste.

Veggies: Tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, peas, spinach (too warm for it but it keeps growing if I cut cut the leaves off), way too much chard, hot peppers, corn, eggplant, salad greens - all in a 4 x 8 raised bed garden

I really enjoy walking outside and picking my lunch or dinner.

My neighbor also has a lime tree that hangs over my fence so I get juicy limes I use in marinades and dressings.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #8  

I have a rooftop garden in NYC. It's getting more and more popular around here. I am trying to grow peppers but for now they are a little puny.
Justafewmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a black thumb.. my seeds have not thrived at all.. yesterday I just caved and bought some plants.. I have parsley, cherry tomatoes, basil and coriander for now. I am planning to add zucchini and green beans.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #10  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Gorwing up we always had a huge garden (almost an acre!) but where I live now it's nearly impossible to grow anything because of the deer, you have to have a garden that is fenced not only all four sides but the top too! They'll hop over even a 6 foot fence so most people who have gardens have to cover it with chicken wire. Also I really just don't have the time for a garden right now, then can be a lot of work!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #11  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I love gardening....I have Red and yellow tomatos, cherry tomatos, romas, bell pepper, jalepenos, banana peppers, zucchini, cucumber, lettuce and spinach.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #12  

I have a strawberry garden, a raspberry patch with both early and late summer varieties. I have two apple trees, a cherry tree and a pear tree. I am already done with this year's asparagus. I have a vegetable garden planted with cilantro, parsley, dill, tomatoes, green peppers, jalepenos, brussel sprouts, green beans, carrots, corn, pumpkins, squash, etc....

It's a lot of work but also good for the family to eat and great exercise!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

My hubby is the gardener. I just love to harvest and then cook what he produces!
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #14  

It's cool hearing about rooftop gardens, container gardens, and square-foot gardens! I'm glad our society is breaking out of the idea that you must own land to garden.

I've added cilantro, purple basil, dill, and some sort of green bean that my mom gave me, that will grow three-foot-long beans?? Never heard of it, but it'll be a fun addition to my garden.

Only about half of my wax begonias survived. I've already harvested lots of rhubarb, and have been using my herbs regularly. I'm seeing fruits developing on my tomatillos, tomatoes, raspberries, bell and hot pepper plants.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #15  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
I have containers on my patio. I have pretty much a full shade backyard, and the only sunny place in the back is on my patio! So I currently have:
citronella (to get rid of mosquitos!_
dahlias (flowers! pretty!)
bay leaf
rosemary
lemon thyme
regular thyme
parsley
chives
parsley
coriander
basil, basil, basil
and catnip and cat grass for my furry friends.

In the front, we have only one small strip of sun next to the driveway, so we put in a garden box. I've convinced DH to let me put in something OTHER than annuals here, so this year, we have:

variagated basil (white and green leaves!)
garlic
spanish onions
carrots
tomatoes
bush green beans
watermelon.

Wish me luck!!!!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-27-2009 at 10:42 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote