Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default 1200 calories enough?

So those of you who hang out in this part of the forum know I've recently given up junk food. Then I started wondering what I could do next to bump up my weight loss just a smidge, since I only lost 2 lbs in 3 weeks by just giving up junk.

I think that's mainly because I was eating a lot of nuts to help curb the sugar cravings. So I decided I would cut out the nuts and start tracking my calories. So for the past 2 days I've tracked my calories and I'm eating around 1200.

Is that enough? I can easily add a little avacado, a little more cheese, or a spoonful of peanut butter to the mix if it's not.

Also, I'm eating a lot more sodium that I thought, so thanks to those of you who recommended I track my cals.

A related problem, the reason I'm a little on the low side is that food just seems so blah without junk. I really have to change my thinking about it. Yesterday I was totally jonesing for some cookies. 3 weeks without junk and I'm still craving it?! That doesn't seem right. I don't want to be fantasizing about cookies for the rest of my life!

I don't want to eat cookies! So why do I want to eat cookies?!

Last edited by thinpossible; 06-19-2009 at 09:31 AM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Well in my opinion, you need to start out higher than 1200 cause I think 1200 is the lowest anybody should go. If you start out at 1200 and you begin to not lose anymore, you cant lower your calories anymore. So I would suggest starting out higher, like 1800 or something like that. that way when you stall with losing, you can go down a bit......

And theres always calorie cycling. Do 1800 one day, 1600 the next, and so on.....Im not sure about how calorie cycling should work though....but its an idea. A lot of people on here do it.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

That's really not enough. I'm 20 pounds lighter than you and eat 1400 (and lose about 2lbs a week). 1200 is the lowest you can go at any weight, and can be dangerous for anyone but a featherweight or someone supervised by a doctor.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I mean YES you can LIVE on 1200 cals i guess, but i don't call that living. If i ate 1200 cals I'd give up in about a week and eat a vat of pork or something LOL I agree with bumping it up a little. I know, a life without junk is kind of blah and a part of you always WILL miss it -- I don't know about you, but once I felt I'd truly 'given it up' i felt SO FREE!!! the months, years, of worrying that i had enough CRAP in the house for my 3 snacks a night, extra on the weekends, do i have enough diet coke?? do i have salty chips AND sweet ice cream and bakery goods??? and WOW does it feel good to LET THAT $HIT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you CAN do it!!!!!! I'd eat more calories tho, so you don't feel you're in a russian gulag, gotta keep your spirits up!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Bump up those cals! You can stall if you go too low.

Perhaps what you need is some flavor in your healthy foods--I use seasonings like McCormick's Grill Mates on chicken and meats, or different herbs. A mixture called Herbs de Provence is nice on pork or chicken. I also use measured amounts of salad dressing on vegetables for a different flavor. And I like salsa and bruschetta to add flavor to eggs and such.

You'll find that your tastes do change as you stay on your program.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #6  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Bump bump bump it up! I'd say 1500ish? You could totally lose weight on that. I keep SAYING I'm going to bump my calories down to 1600 but the reality is I'm still losing and SATISFIED on 1700 calories and I'm only 40 pounds heavier than you.

Make food taste GOOD. Use those extra calories on yummy nuts, yummy dressings, a half avocado....

And you know what? I've been junk free for months and months. I STILL crave the chips, cake, cookie the odd time. BUT I know I can resist and have the power to resist. THAT makes me happy.

Thinpossible... you are a rock star. That many days without junk and on plan. You will GET there. yes you will.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #7  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I'm at about the same weight as you, and I loose at 1600-1700 calories daily. Definitely bump it up, maybe just go at 200 calories/week extra for a while and then try 300. See if you keep loosing.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #8  

Default bye bye nuts!

I just want to make a comment about the nuts. For a while, I mean months, I wasn’t losing any weight and as soon as I gave up on nuts, I started to lose again.
My thing is that I LOVE nuts, any kind, so I was eating too much of it. So, I have to keep away from it for good if I want to keep OP. To me, one cup/handful of nuts doesn’t work. So bye bye peanuts, almonds, brazilian nuts, pistachios, etc
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #9  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post
A related problem, the reason I'm a little on the low side is that food just seems so blah without junk. I really have to change my thinking about it. Yesterday I was totally jonesing for some cookies. 3 weeks without junk and I'm still craving it?! That doesn't seem right. I don't want to be fantasizing about cookies for the rest of my life!
Have you looked for any options thinpossible? I found an oatmeal chip cookie that I have for dessert, and it doesn't set me off. Are there any bakeries, organic sections, or recipes you could modify to add more whole grains to the recipe and cut the sweetness?

I've also found a kettle cooked potato chip that works for me as well. Lemon tarts -- tried those and did not go well.

So my point is that obviously, like you, there is stuff I can't touch, but I've been really blessed to find some options and I think if you look around you might as well.

I don't think any of us want to be fantasizing about cookies (or chips, or McDs) the rest of our lives!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

No, it would not be enough for me.
One thing I do so that I don't feel deprived is to pamper myself. Since I am not buying junk, I can justify buying really good food, crabmeat, shrimp, fish, filet on a special occasion, really good cheeses, all of the things I love but used to do without because they were too expensive. I do a lot of experimenting and trying new recipes, and I won't eat something just because it's healthy if it doesn't taste good. I think as far as taste and quality of food goes, I eat much better now than I used to.

I started out as a total sugar junkie. After giving it up for two years, I am okay without it most of the time, but I can't tell you I never crave a really good piece of Belgian chocolate. It's hard to change habits.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #11  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I mean YES you can LIVE on 1200 cals i guess, but i don't call that living. If i ate 1200 cals I'd give up in about a week and eat a vat of pork or something LOL I agree with bumping it up a little. I know, a life without junk is kind of blah and a part of you always WILL miss it -- I don't know about you, but once I felt I'd truly 'given it up' i felt SO FREE!!! the months, years, of worrying that i had enough CRAP in the house for my 3 snacks a night, extra on the weekends, do i have enough diet coke?? do i have salty chips AND sweet ice cream and bakery goods??? and WOW does it feel good to LET THAT $HIT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you CAN do it!!!!!! I'd eat more calories tho, so you don't feel you're in a russian gulag, gotta keep your spirits up!!!
LOL, Trazey you're so funny. Yes, that definitely IS the UPside to no junk-- no more calculating, trying to control it, doing all those mental gymnastics in my head and having it call my name all the time. Now it only calls my name a couple times a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickiegirl View Post
Have you looked for any options thinpossible? I found an oatmeal chip cookie that I have for dessert, and it doesn't set me off. Are there any bakeries, organic sections, or recipes you could modify to add more whole grains to the recipe and cut the sweetness?

I've also found a kettle cooked potato chip that works for me as well. Lemon tarts -- tried those and did not go well.

So my point is that obviously, like you, there is stuff I can't touch, but I've been really blessed to find some options and I think if you look around you might as well.

I don't think any of us want to be fantasizing about cookies (or chips, or McDs) the rest of our lives!!
Yeah, maybe someday I can try one of those healthy cookies, but it ain't happening anytime soon. No matter how you dress it up that stuff sucks me in. Whole grain, cane & fruit juice sweetened, organic-- whatever. I'll even devour the ones that don't taste very good What can I say, my brain is broken

Last edited by thinpossible; 06-19-2009 at 12:03 PM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I think 1200 is enough for some people (in fact, I currently eat that low) but if you have been losing 2-3 lbs per week just by nixing the junk, then no, don't! You may eventually eat pretty low, but for now, maybe try 1500. This will be easy to add via the healthy fats you mention; those things pack a caloric punch.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I found the key for me to cut down on cravings for sweets and starches was to load up on protein. I definitely couldn't do 1200/day. I guess I "calorie cycle" even if I don't really plan it. I just have a range I aim for, so some days I'm on the high end of the range and some days on the low. But I guess I'm averaging about 1700/day.

It has also helped a great deal for me to find crunchy things that satisfy without breaking the bank. Old-fashioned stove-cooked popcorn fills me up, without too much fat, and still has the taste I need that air-popped popcorn just doesn't have.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #14  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Oh, and with sweets, I get a really nice kind, and make a production out of it. I get imported tea cookies that are really good, and I get out a very pretty only-used-for-compay tea cup and plate, and I put two cookies on the plate and have my cup of tea, and savor every bite. THat way I enjoy the taste and crispness, and it becomes a very special treat.

It's amazing to me how satisfactory that is, when six months ago I would have stood in the kitchen and eaten half a bag of Oreos, and barely tasted a one, and felt only guilt!

Last edited by synger; 06-19-2009 at 12:57 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #15  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post
Yes, that definitely IS the UPside to no junk-- no more calculating, trying to control it, doing all those mental gymnastics in my head and having it call my name all the time. Now it only calls my name a couple times a day
Well, hey that's progress! Maybe in another month without it the junk's call will be even fainter. Stay strong!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote