Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/193/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Susan's Weight Challenge

Has anybody tried this? Does it work? I really need something that's going to work. Everytime I lose some pounds I gain it back no matter what and I don't change anything I do. I don't eat fast food - I don't eat out at restaurants. I cook everything. I don't eat much. I can't do the calorie counting thing - that just doesn't work for me. Has anybody tried the Acai Berry and Power Colon Cleanse? HELP HELP!!

Last edited by nelie; 06-19-2009 at 09:52 AM.
BuderflyFairy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

The acai berry is a grape-like fruit harvested from acai palms in the rainforests of South America. Acai berries are a good source of antioxidants, fiber and heart-healthy fats. Some manufacturers claim that products made from acai berries can help you lose weight, lower cholesterol and gain energy. Research on acai berries is limited, however, and these claims have not been proved. Still, fruit is an important part of a healthy diet. If you'd like to try acai berry products, check local health food or gourmet stores for acai berry juice or other acai berry products. Fresh acai berries spoil too quickly to be distributed widely.

Proponents of colon cleansing believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They say that colon cleansing — also called colonic irrigation — removes these toxins, thus promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system.

While there is little scientific evidence to support or refute the benefits of colon cleansing, critics say it's generally unnecessary and at times may even be harmful. Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend it for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: The digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need enemas or special diets or pills to do this.

One concern with colon cleansing is that it can increase your risk of dehydration. A potentially more serious concern is that certain laxatives used in colon cleansing, such as those with sodium phosphate, can cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease.

If you choose to do colon cleansing, be sure to take these simple precautions:

* Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
* Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
* Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
* Beware of broad or inflated claims that colon cleansing will cure an illness or improve your health.
* Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration.

If you are considering colon cleansing because of constipation, consider trying these steps first to relieve constipation:

* Drink plenty of fluids, including water
* Eat a diet rich in fiber
* Get regular exercise

This information is from the Mayo Clinic http://mayoclinic.com
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Acai berry has great antioxidants but really so do blueberries and cranberries and tea. It has no weight loss properties but because people have heard of it, companies are trying to say it has weight loss properties.

Colon cleanses are generally scams for the most part. Your colon cleanses itself. If you have an issue, a medical doctor can tell you what to do. They also won't make you lose weight other than the short effect of emptying out your bowels.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there! I don't think the issue is if you should colon cleanse or not. I think the issue here is that you sound desperate and you want HELP. A colon cleanse isn't the answer.

The ONLY answer for you is to seriously give yourself a reality check. Seriously. You need to be super, super honest about your diet and exercise habits. If you aren't you won't get anywheres. I'm not saying that you aren't truthful, but if you really take a hard look at your lifestyle, you'll see areas that are perhaps not productive for you in your desire to lose weight.

I ate well for years. I didn't eat much at all. I didn't eat junk food. But I weight 244lbs. How did that happen? Well, the occasional (read daily) DQ Blizzard sure didn't help. But it was a treat! That doesn't count! And the double portions and seconds of everything didn't help. My DH's Caesar Salad was amazing and healthy, but the 2 egg yolks and grated cheese and croutons (homemade, though) and 1/4 cup oil I had every day didn't help. But it is homemade! Salad! How could that be bad? I didn't eat out. I just ate IN. ALOT. The fact that I sat on my butt all day as a result of my job didn't help...the reasons are there. You just need to BREATHE a bit and be really, really, BRUTALLY honest with yourself.

Then, you need to find a structured eating plan that will help you lose the weight. You don't have to calorie count. BUT you HAVE to have some method to assess and control your caloire intake. You need to monitor this or else the weight won't come off, IMHO. Some people like Atkins, some like South Beach, others Calorie Count. I do Weight Watchers -- it is cheap and fits my lifestyle, which is the KEY for me. But without getting a serious grip on your intake, you won't get very far for very long.

Things aren't hopeless. But there isn't a magic answer out there. There are no pills, no berries, no cleanses that will take the pounds off and keep them off. There is only one way that works, and that is to limit your intake and to exercise.

Check out this forum because there are LOTS of plans out there and LOTS of discussion about them. Pick one, and go with it. Be patient, be dedicated and be honest with yourself, and things WILL work out. You CAN do it. Lots of us have, but it will take some effort.

Please keep posting --we are all here to help...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-19-2009 at 10:49 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote