Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  

Default Anyone had to lose before surgery

I have been having a lot of health issues since a c section on March 7 and now have a hernia next to my belly button that needs to be fixed. I met with a surgeon who does weight loss surgery and he can fix the hernia and do weight loss surgery at the same time. But he says he feels my bmi is to high right now and wants me to lose at least a 100 lbs- I'm 450 and 5'10.
He basically has me eating mostly protein shakes and high protein things like cottage cheese, yogurt, and things like that.
Has anyone else had to do this? What type of diet did you do and any suggestions on getting through it easier.
Thanks for any help.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #2  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

That sounds bizarre. IMHO... I would not let anyone do my bariatric surgery unless they specialize in bariatric surgery.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #3  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie175 View Post
That sounds bizarre. IMHO... I would not let anyone do my bariatric surgery unless they specialize in bariatric surgery.
An umbilical hernia repair is actually a very minor procedure that would be easy for any surgeon. Basically, I think he would just be putting in a couple of stitches while he was in there for the bariatric surgery. Better than having to go in twice
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #4  

I might have worded it wrong. He does specialize in Bariatric surgery he just feels it isn't safe for me yet at my bmi. I've actually seen 2 surgery centers in my area and the other one said the same thing. So he does want to do both surgeries at the same time.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had to lose weight before the surgery.
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #5  

Most people are required to do a diet regime before surgery to demonstrate they can follow directions and lose weight. He's got the high protein going because you will lose weight faster. As far as how to get through this, it's all about choice. You choose to do what you have to do to have the surgery, you choose not to and suffer those consequences or the third is to find a different surgeon and see what he says. The more you weigh at the time of surgery, the bigger the chance for complications or even death.

I hope everything works out well for you and you can soon have your surgery.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I believe Jiffypop lost 100 lbs or more before her surgery. Doing surgery on someone morbidly obese has increased risk and becomes easier the less someone weighs. Losing weight would show that you are committed to change as well as lowering your risk of complications.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Carrie, I think it makes good sense to have you lose weight before undergoing surgery. Your doctor is being conservative and wanting the safest possible surgery for you - that is exactly what I would want in a surgeon.

How are you doing on the diet he has you on? It sounds like it's structured for quick loss rather than long term "lifestyle changes", but sometimes that's just what we need to get a headstart and feel successful. One "phenomenon" I've heard happen when people are asked to lose weight before bariatric surgery is people realizing that by losing the weight without surgical intervention they are more capable than they thought at losing the weight, leading them to forgo surgery. Wouldn't that be cool?

If you do decide to go ahead with the surgery, just think - you'll be 100 pounds ahead of the game already and likely much safer going under the knife. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #8  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Carrie I think you are a bit anxious hearing the Dr. say 100 pounds. I know that you were probably ready to just have surgery and get on with your life and begin your journey weight lost but you need to listen to your surgeon. Please don't think that this is one more set back to you getting to your ideal/goal weight. You can do it, it will take work but it will help you make some lifestyle changes that will help you after surgery. You want to be safe and losing weight prior to surgery lessens the chance for problems.
I was required to lose about 15 pounds and demonstrate that I could keep the weight off before surgery. I was urged not to gain anymore weight or the surgeon could deny me the procedure.

Last edited by worthylady; 06-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #9  

I think you should listen to the surgeon.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

Geez - not quite sure what to say here. it's common for surgeons to want patients to lose SOMETHING, but not usually 100 pounds. My surgeon could not operate on anyone over about 485 pounds because of the LOAD LIMIT ON THE TABLE, not necessarily for other reasons.

since i weighed more than 500 pounds, and had been hospitalized for 8 weeks and on oxygen, the surgeon wanted me to lose weight and to get off the oxygen before the surgery. he would have been happy with a loss of 50. he was THRILLED with the 100 [and i was SHOCKED!!!!]

now, about that diet - ask him if you can add some low glycemic veggies - that'll make it easier [i hope!!!!!]

keep us posted!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #11  

Thanks all for the help. And Jiffy he actually said I can eat all Veggies and mostly all fruits.