Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Question Brown rice question

I just read this article on why eating brown rice is so much better then white:
http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health...nth-brown-rice

I've been buying Uncle Ben's instant brown rice. Are all the benefits of brown rice also true for the instant variety?

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 06-17-2009 at 11:31 AM.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i think so...it probably depends on how theyve prepared it. Im not sure how they make instant rice, if it means it is cooked twice (once by you and once by them) it might mean you lose some nutrients but im just guessing. Maybe compare the nutritional info on instant and normal and see if there are any significant differences
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I'll do that next time I go grocery shopping. Thank you!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

It may be a better option than white rice, but as I rule I feel that processed foods are not as good as whole foods. I seriously doubt instant brown rice is as good nutritionally as the kind you cook yourself. Personally, I don't like the texture of the instant varieties, but we all have differing tastes.

If time is your concern, why not cook a big batch and freeze dinner sized portions in zip lock bags? Frozen rice can be quickly microwaved or reheated in a sauce pan with a tiny amount of water. It's a lot cheaper than buying instant too.

EDIT: I just looked up nutritional information online for both kinds of brown rice and it looks like quite a bit of vitamins and minerals are lost in the instant. There seems to be slightly less fiber too, although not enough to really worry about.

Last edited by zenor77; 06-18-2009 at 11:32 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #5  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Since we are on the subject of brown rice, how do you cook it?
I can't seem to find a happy medium between hard, not done enough and mushy over cooked.
What do you cook your brown rice in?
I do like wild rice better.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Get a rice cooker. Nothing cooks rice better, regardless of kind. There are some nice ones that aren't too expensive too.

If you must cook it on the stove, use a heavy bottomed pot that isn't too big or too small for the amount you're making. The rice and water should come at least 1/2 up the pot, 2/3 is better.

First, measure out your brown rice and rinse it well to get any dirt off. Then add water according to directions on bag or a 2-1 ratio of water to rice. You can start cooking right away, but I think rice is better if soaked (30 minutes in summer, 1 hour in winter.)

To cook, bring to a boil, put on a tight lid and turn the heat to low. Cook 45-60 minutes. Make sure it's turned to low. If it's on too high the water will evaporate too fast and not cook the rice.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

You can also cook rice as if it's pasta--and just drain the excess water off.

That for me would be a hassle.

What I do is measure out my rice, then using the same measuring cup, fill it up 2 1/2 times with water. Then I put it on medium, covered. When it boils, I turn it down to minimum and let it sit for 35-40 minutes.
When I turn the heat to minimum --on an electric stove--I use one of those "star" wires over the burner and under the pot. It seems to help somewhat.

Mine comes out a bit on the "wet" side--when I put it in my measuring cup and turn it out on my plate, it'll keep its shape. I like it. And I'd rather that than 1) a burned pot or 2) using butter or oil.

I love brown rice. Basmati, Jasmine, Long grain, short grain. They're all yummy.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-18-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #8  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

usually i just boil a medium sized pot of water (regardless of how much rice i do) and then add my rice to it when its boiling. Then i let it boil for about 25mins, stiring occasionally. Usually I have to add a bit more water after about 15-20mins. Then i rinse it with hot water and serve. Usually it comes out fluffy
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #9  

I used to be a huge fan of the instant brown rice as it took so little time to prepare compared to the regular variety but then I read somewhere (of course, I don't remember the source!) that the instant variety does not have the same nutrient content as the standard variety so I have reverted back to the standard form of cooking it.

As for preparation, I do not have a rice cooker but my biggest tip would be to not let it cook too fast. My experience has been that if I forget to turn it down to simmer or don't turn it low enough, it comes out all gummy - great for sushi, not for eating!
healthymom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I cook my brown rice in low sodium chicken broth, which gives it so much more flavor than plain water does. I follow the direction on the package exactly and I don't try to hurry it along by cooking it faster than a low simmer. Most of the time it's perfect and yummy.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #11  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for your advice on how to cook brown rice. I have also heard about measuring the water to the first joint of your finger, that seems to work, also i have found veggie bullion gives it some flavor.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I only cook it in Chicken Broth. It gives it such a yummy flavor. But I've been thinking that when I eat with beef, I wanna try cooking it in Beef broth. I wonder if that would be good. Cooking it in water is just too plain for me.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6

I bought that same rice too.. and i totally prefer the bag rice better. I mean really, when is instant ever AS good for you?
PeaceNLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6

I bought that same rice too.. and i totally prefer the bag rice better. I mean really, when is instant ever AS good for you?
PeaceNLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #15  
The itsy bitsy spider...

S/C/G: 259/208/175

THE way to cook brown rice:

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
* 2 1/2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

(This is Alton Brown's (Good Eats) recipe for cooking brown rice.)

Try it once. You'll be hooked
JustTasha is offline   Reply With Quote