South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #1  

Default Life has resumed after Twilight Camp!

I'm still not caught up on reading old posts but I figure I'll give you guys an update on how camp went. The boys had a great time. We had 505 boys, about 290 parents and 97 adult and junior staff which is higher than we have had in the last 3 or 4 years. It was a week of storms though. On Wednesday it became apparent that we had a huge storm coming so we shut down after 3/4 of the camp day was done. We probably should have shut down about 10 minutes earlier so more people could have made it to their cars. We ended up with about 150 people under the pavilions in between the tables with tornado sirens going off and winds of 75 mph and a hard driving rain. Luckily no one got hurt (just some scared kids) and all the supplies got thrown in the storage POD before the rain started.

Between that night and the next morning we got 8 inches of rain so we had to set camp up again and move some areas that were flooded. I got several hundred phone calls asking if camp was cancelled but it was a beautiful day.

Friday we were doing our Egg drop and Family picnic during the dinner hour when another storm approached. We decided to shut down and give the Webelos the option to stay or come back for the overnighter. The storm got close but didn't hit us. In all the Dallas area had 3 tornadoes touch down on Wed and two more on Friday so I think we did the right thing by shutting down.

It was a fun camp and it was a shame we didn't get to complete all the activities but those we had worked well. The overnighter was fun even though we probably only had 130 people instead of the 250 we should have had. We had other challenges before camp like someone who turned over 6 port-a-potties that we had to clean out and refill and we had to find another district to take our hay since the feed store won't take it back when it gets rained on but that worked out and next year we can share the hay.

Now I just need to convince someone to replace me as camp director so I can just do registrar next year instead of both jobs!
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back! Do you have more sessions?
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

Sounds like you had quite the camping experience Barb. Glad everyone made it safely through the storms.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whew! Sorry you had to go through that but welcome back to your other life. You certainly put a lot of time and effort (and enthusiasm) into camping.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm glad you're all safe and sound after that camping adventure, Barb.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #6  

We just have one weeklong session a year of day camp and we start it at 4PM to keep it cooler.

Now to finish up the aftercamp budgeting and see if we made money.

I'm also having the Junior Staff pool party at my house on Saturday for 4 hours. I'm not sure how many of the 54 kids are going to show up.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote