Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #1  
Slow and sure chick

Default Your AHA moment

What was your AHA moment? You know,
your slap upside the head
accept the Lord
realization
crossroad
moment.

How did things change from before that moment to now?
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #2  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I couldn't avoid photos of myself... and that made me sad to see what I truly looked like outside of my skewed view in the mirror. I never thought I looked THAT bad... but pictures don't lie.

I was getting too tight for size 16s.

I couldn't walk up the stairs in our new house without getting out of breath.

But most of all... I wasn't living life. I was hiding from exciting experiences, meeting new people, traveling, confidence at work. So that's when I decided to start running.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The first time I put on a wedding dress, at a size 24. I knew it wasn't how I wanted those photos to look for the rest of my life.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #4  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I was lying in bed having heart palpitations..that did it for me.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #5  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I was 335 at my highest. In my head I saw it going up to 400 & then what?
Plus I didn't fit in movie theater seats,booths,and other places. {Still don't}.
I was always the biggest person where ever I went. I could not sleep,and had terrible backaches. I guess it was a few AHA moments!
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I fell down the stairs, carrying our puppy. He was fine, but I really really bruised my coccyx. I have never felt such pain. At the time, I didn't blame my weight for the fall, but now I think I have much better balance and core strength and think I wouldn't have fallen like that.

For the next week or so I lay on my tummy in pain. Every position was painful, but that one less so. I felt immobile. I was scared that this was my future.

Even all that wasn't enough in and of itself to be a "click" moment. Over the next 10 days or so, other things (like not being able to fit in size 28 pants I'd ordered online) helped push me to the point of committing to the changes I needed to make.

Last edited by Heather; 06-16-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Sitting at a table with co workers who were all discussing having lap band surgery one day. One of the ladies looked at me and said that although I may not be to this point yet, in a year or so of driving a school bus, I will be. I decided then and there that no way would I let myself get to that point. Now I don't have anything bad to say about people who really need surgery to lose weight, its just not where I want myself to be.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

If I waited around for an AHA moment I'd be waiting forever for something that is already there. Not fitting into my clothes, hating myself in pictures, counting my chins, and tugging my shirt out of my belly folds was a constant presence in my life for years.

It wasn't until I realized that I was making the choice to be fat that I started doing something about it. And that if I make more good choices than bad choices during the day that the cummulative effect will be success. I'm not relying on aha moments... I have good days and I have bad days and that's the way it will always be.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #9  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
If I waited around for an AHA moment I'd be waiting forever for something that is already there. Not fitting into my clothes, hating myself in pictures, counting my chins, and tugging my shirt out of my belly folds was a constant presence in my life for years.

It wasn't until I realized that I was making the choice to be fat that I started doing something about it. And that if I make more good choices than bad choices during the day that the cummulative effect will be success. I'm not relying on aha moments... I have good days and I have bad days and that's the way it will always be.
That is a pretty good point. I topped 200 lbs back at the end of 2006 - right after my wedding (and sad to say, mandalinn, I DO have those photos with me for the rest of my life )... but it still took me another 2 years and 13 more lbs to get serious. I wanted to lose weight, I just wouldn't commit to it.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #10  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Halfway up a hill in Lisbon with my daughters scared I was having a heart attack because I had to keep stopping to catch my breath.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh dear, I've had more aha moments than I can count. Having literally no clothes in my closet that fit, catching horrific glimpses of myself in mirrors, feeling more out of shape than I ever thought possible, cruel comments from family members, and on and on.

I've just gotten to the point where I want things in my life that are incongruous with the fat and they are more important to me than the binge eating right now. I'm 37 and I just don't want to waste any more precious time fretting over my body.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

I in all honesty don't even know. I always knew I couldnt accept my life like this, I was fat and it was disgusting. I was unhealthy and looked sick, but there was nothing that really made me step aside and really care. I had tried and failed in the past to lose weight.

One day something just clicked, I had all the motivation in the world, and started my journey, never looking back.

I wish I had a "aha" moment, but I guess I just dont.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

My weight had crept up to 190 and my clothes were getting tight and I didn't want to go up to the next size. Plus, I had just seen a friend who lost weight and she looked great. Also, my sister-in-law had just been told by her doctor that she was prediabetic and she was trying to lose weight and succeeding really well. I was absolutely disgusted with myself and knew I had to change. I couldn't stand going to nice places because it meant I wouldn't be able to wear sweatpants and would have to put on tight clothes. I can still remember shopping for clothes and hating everything I tried on, especially a pair of khaki slacks. They fit but I still couldn't wear them because the light color showed my bulging lower abdomen. I was so unhappy! Those first few days of my new eating plan (counting calories, eating high protein and lots of veggies, fruits and whoel grains) were so hard because I felt so bad and wanted to eat but I knew I had to stick with it or I would continue being miserable. That was February 2006. By December 2006/January 2007 I was down to 140 and have been there (give or take a few pounds) ever since. Maintaining is a struggle but I am never going back because the image of how horrible I felt remains in my mind.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #14  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

A couple of things...

Simple walking was making my ankles burn like crazy and tighten up.
-One flight of stairs made me miserable
- I knew I was over 300 lbs, but didn't know just how much
-My size 24, maybe 26 clothes were getting a little snug. Nothing fit and I didn'th ave the courage to buy bigger clothes.
-The realization that I have never been thin in my life and that I felt like I had failed my self. Over eating is easy. I wanted to challenge myself.
-At the start of this I was 341 lbs, probably more because I didn't weigh myself for the first month.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #15  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Oh dear, I've had more aha moments than I can count. Having literally no clothes in my closet that fit, catching horrific glimpses of myself in mirrors, feeling more out of shape than I ever thought possible, cruel comments from family members, and on and on.

I've just gotten to the point where I want things in my life that are incongruous with the fat and they are more important to me than the binge eating right now. I'm 37 and I just don't want to waste any more precious time fretting over my body.
...I know this one. Having NOTHING to wear or only having two things that fit so you rotate them and over wear them. ...My size 24, maybe 26 pants were getting too tight. I say maybe 26 because I wear Lane Bryant Pants...their sizing system is kind and gently...blue circle 6. That was my size.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote