Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/200/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Over exercised H*LL

Omg. I was brilliant and went to the gym two days in a row. Did 30 mins on the treadmill day one and lifted weights about 30 mins. Day two I did 45 mins on the treadmill and lifted weights about 45 mins.

I HURT! OMG I HURT! Why didn't I THINK?! I seriously can't pull my pants up, open a door, and heaven knows how I'm going to drive home from work in an hour!

Anyone just starting, don't be an igmo like me and think "OH well, I feel fine! Look at me! 40lbs bicep curls!"

Ow....
sexybak96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

sexybak - you made my morning!!! I've been there too - overenthusiasm with a new program ...
One memorable one was deciding to complete the whole Susan Harris "The Firm" tape after not doing a darn bit of exercise for, oh, yeah, it was years. I did finish it ... but was slightly concerned that climbing the staircase out of the basement sort of felt like I was walking on gooey marshmallows. Next morning I jumped out of bed and fell flat on my face - the marshmallows had become throbbing concrete overnight! And it got WORSE the 2nd day - I had to take a Vicodin to sleep that 2nd night - and it honestly hurt to breathe because my back muscles were so sore!
I sympathize - no, wait - I EMPATHIZE. Be kind to yourself!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

Don't worry, as you exercise more and more your body will adjust. Be careful with the weights, though, since you don't want to work the same muscles two days in a row. I focus on weights/strength exercises three days per week (entire body) but you can also alternate upper and lower body muscles more frequently if that works better for you. Just make sure you are letting your body rest in between, so that it can repair itself to make you stronger!
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Haha! I am not laughing at you, but the fact I have done this also.

Some people do cardio 7 days a week, like me. But I don't do the same resistance or minutes everyday. I take it down a few notches but definitely still a good workout on the low calorie days and give it all I got and then some on the medium and higher calorie days. Those are the days I incorporate some kind of weight training also, usually on my arms and abs only. I don't do legs. I figure I am getting plenty with the stationary bike resistance because I certainly feel it.

You will find a realistic routine you can stick with. In the beginning, I was doing heavy cardio for about 3 weeks straight and then got truthful with myself and realized I was intentionally "punishing" myself for being overweight and that there was NO way I could do that for life.

So while in my opinion it is fine to do the cardio daily, don't try to kill yourself with it like I did, lol. Definitely take those weight training breaks to give those muscles time to heal. My rule of thumb is that if I am truly sore, I wait until the soreness is gone. Sometimes that can take about three days. You don't want to pull them or damage them to the point you can't use them for several weeks.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #5  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

and

I totally did the exact same thing when I started lifting weights. My trainer tried to tell me, but would I listen? Nnnnooooo... not me! Well, I gained 5 lbs overnight from the water retention in overused muscles and on the 2nd day, I literally had to crawl up and down the stairs. It was not pretty.

You will heal, and, if you are like me, this will be a good lesson on working UP TO heavier weights and harder workouts. That workout that nearly killed me the first time? It's now too easy for me!

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with you! What were you thinking? I see this happening too often at the gym. People with no prior history of exercise suddenly think they are in jr. high gym class and have to go to the max. It's not necessary!

Please don't repeat this... You can damage your tendons, and then you won't be able to do weights for a couple of weeks or more. It takes tendons a lot longer to heal than it does muscle.

Pay for some sessions with a trainer, or take a class in weights for women so that you learn the right way to proceed.

I hope you feel better soon!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 06-16-2009 at 09:40 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/200/145

Thanx for the advice:-) My husband was "helping" me. LOL. He was like "oh you can lift more!. Here's 40 lbs." Yeah. Uh huh.

So today I'm recovered (been slacking only took me two days to get back to being able to lift my arms) and will go back to the gym to lift some. Some.

Have fun ya'll and good luck.

SB
sexybak96 is offline   Reply With Quote