Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Default 1st Day back at gym / Need Motivation

After many, many years of abandoning a workout lifestyle, I'm back to the gym tonight and asking for encouragement. I am 52 years, chose to get a trainer for a few sessions to learn how to lift properly, and I'm both excited and nervous. Last year, I released over 50 pounds only to have 35 pounds return to date. Same old story: consuming more food than my body requires and little to no exercise.

This commitment began with waking up (literally) one morning and feeling "winded" before my feet hit the floor. Later that day, I was aware that just taking a flight of stairs left me breathing heavier. My first goal was to sign up at the gym. Getting some training sessions makes me feel more accountable and less scared about working out (particularly lifting) incorrectly.

All support is appreciated!
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Hi, Ready! I am 53 and have been getting to the gym by 6 each morning. I've lost 17 pounds so far and only have about five to go...I really want this bad, and that's my motivation.

It's important that you do this now...I presume you are either pre-menopausal or maybe you are post- now. At any rate, it is at this age that we women can really lose bone if we are not careful, plus a slew of other nasty diseases can rear their nasty heads. One of my concerns is avoiding the diabetes that runs in my mother's family, and the osteoporosis that my father's mother had so badly. Diet and exercise are the only ways I know to combat getting those conditions, so there, too, is another big motivator for me!
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Just look at your cute avatar - and keep telling yourself that you want to have the body like the chick in it. And you will - but it will take some time and lots of sweat at the gym.
It may be hard at first, but eventually you will get hooked up at the way you feel after a good workout. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #4  
Mel

I truly believe that lifting is the fountain of youth. Have FUN!

For the past 8 years, I do my age in push ups. Real ones. This year for the first time, I think I'm going to have to figure out how to get younger

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hey, Mel, how about my approach? 1 push-up for each decade. SOmeday I'll be able to do more....

But, Ready2B, I'm 64 and have been lifting on and off for 10 years, and Thin says, we are in the bone-loss stage of life. I believe that lifting has really helped. My bone density scans have great scores! And that winded feeling can be gone in a few weeks. Good job!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Talking

Thanks everyone
I am truly enjoying my gym visits. The trainer is emphasizing the importance of warm-ups and myofascial self-message - what a difference this all makes to the workout!!!!! He has also stated pre-workout and post-workout suggestions of what to eat and reviewed hydration. Along with the basics, he is also assigning "homework" in the way of stretches and balancing postures I can do throughout the day. I am so excited to learn more.

Perhaps it's too soon to tell, yet I find my late-night snacking has been curbed greatly. Maybe I'm too tuckered out to eat late anymore.

What is most amazing to me is the realization of how poor my posture had become and the way the body attempts to compensate for the off balance.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote