Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default I hate Facebook/Myspace

I despise the fact it's just another media to which humiliation can be spread to the masses. I went to a baby shower yesterday and unfortunately, sat behind the guest of honor. I am in every picture of her opening her gifts and I look absolutely DISGUSTING. Not just a little bad, HORRIBLE. She (friend's sister) even took a picture of me eating!! Then, to add insult to injury, she posted these pictures on facebook and myspace. So now, hundreds of people can see them. Everyone from the guy I dated in high school (mortification there) to her friends at work. I had a good long cry about it last night after seeing myself in all my glory, up there for all to see.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 06-14-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

The very nature of Facebook contradicts the most basic net-safety tenants that I was taught as a child. I've never been able to understand it.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #3  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I just saw a wedding shower of someone I know on there. I don't understand why they post all the pictures on a website.Maybe they are happy to share w/everyone, or maybe they are just bragging. I really don't know.

Last edited by Tracy; 06-14-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

I just don't get any of these kinds of sites, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, don't understand the appeal at all?

Why do I want to look at the holiday photo's of someone i've never met? and why would they want me too? I know it's so all their friends can look at them but putting them in the public domain like that seems very strange to me.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I love facebook, I like catching up with people I have not seen in a while and friends that have moved away, my facebook is private so only my friends can see it, I post pictures up there all the time. I don't see a big problem with it.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #6  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

I totally love facebook and Myspace.. I get to share pictures with friends who are over seas or who are out of state and i get to talk to them on there way more then on the phone. I think it is a really good way to keep in touch with family and friends..
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
I love facebook, I like catching up with people I have not seen in a while and friends that have moved away, my facebook is private so only my friends can see it, I post pictures up there all the time. I don't see a big problem with it.
My page is private too. However, when my friend posts a picture of me, all her friends can see it. And if someone comments on a photo with me in it, all their friends can see it. On and on and on it goes...

If you post a picture of your friend Jo, then all of your friends (who don't even know her) can see it. And if your friend Bill comments on that said picture (he doesn't know her either) then all of his friends can see it even though they don't know you or Jo!

Same with myspace. The guest of honor knows my ex, so he can see all of those pictures. I just hope he doesn't' bother looking at them! I have tried to change my settings on facebook so that at least my friends cannot see the pictures in which I am tagged by someone else, who they do not know. On myspace I can't change anything.

And whether or not I am a member makes no difference. My friends/family would still be putting up pictures of me and showing them to everyone.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 06-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #8  

While I understand your friend's desire to share her joy, I think she was completely out of line to post pictures in which others can be clearly identified without first obtaining their permission. Extremely bad manners on her part! There are ways to blur people out and/or crop pictures so that people who do not want to be in the pic aren't identifiable. It just amazes me how insensitive people can be at times. I've had pics of me posted without my consent too, so I completely relate to your discomfort.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 405/387/150

Height: 5'9

You could always just remove the tag. I know it doesn't really help the fact that the picture is still up though. Or you could just ask the original poster to remove it if that's an option?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Yeah, she definitely could have cropped me out. I had asked her not to post any crappy pictures of me and she said "I only have one picture of you". Um..no, she has at least 9 of them. I won't ask she remove them because they are pictures of my friend opening her gifts. If she removes them...there aren't any pictures of my friend opening the gifts.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #11  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I am not a big fan of Myspace, however I do love Facebook. It has truly been wonderful keeping intouch with extended family and friends, which would otherwise not happen. I wish we had it years ago when I did get out of high school and college, as so many friendships and family wouldn't have gotten lost in the years. Atleast we can catch up some now. It also is great, as my daughter is in the military and we can share writings and photo's without having to wait for pony express!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #12  
Hug a Tree!

I do like the sharing and connecting aspect. Less photo sharing of my fat butt would be nice though.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #13  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

take the tag off, that will help.

I know it's upset you, but it might be helpful to not put too much energy into it. people have posted some pretty unflattering pictures of me on facebook, but almost everyone is private and when I'm tagged non-friends never see those photos.

You are working on not being "disgusting" (I have to put that in "" because somehow I doubt you look disgusting) so let that fire you feel from humiliation move you ever more towards your goals!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
I think she was completely out of line to post pictures in which others can be clearly identified without first obtaining their permission. Extremely bad manners on her part! There are ways to blur people out and/or crop pictures so that people who do not want to be in the pic aren't identifiable. It just amazes me how insensitive people can be at times. I've had pics of me posted without my consent too, so I completely relate to your discomfort.
I was going to say the same thing. I would never post photos on my Facebook account where other people were in the photos unless I had their permission.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Sounds like you are being too critical of yourself, I'm sure you looked fine and maybe the hostess thought so too and didn't see a reason not to post them.

I agree though she should of asked permission; there was a story recently someone's family photo was taken off facebook and used for an ad for a CZ supermarket!
Closed Thread