South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199.8/*Ticker*/154

Height: 5'6"

Question South Beach Bars??

Hi All,
I'm embarking on Phase II (after a month of working up toward it) and stumbled upon the South Beach bars in the grocery. The ones with 10g of protein and about 140 calories and grabbed a box.

I am sick, sick, sick of eggs in the morning and got these looking for an alternative, grab-and-go to take to work as a substitute. I know these are "commercial" and a lot of you folks are into the natural foods. I'm not a purist. I also don't like a lot of veggies and stuff so my 2 salads/day are all I can take of that!

I know a lot of people eat Ezekiel and Genesis breads and may try those as well. If I like it, I thought a piece of cinn raisin Ezekiel toast and some cheese might work, too.

Thoughts?
H2ODawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Although the SBD bars may be good in a pinch, they contain a lot of unneccessary junk and are not 100% South Beach pure. Also, you'll find that they do not keep you full for long and have a reputation for causing cravings.

The nice thing about this plan is that you don't have to eat eggs at all. Many of us eat leftovers from supper for breakfast. We have a sticky in the FAQ section regarding breakfast alternatives that you'll find helpful, with lots of ideas.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #3  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

i am not into cooking alot so i always find other stuff i can just grab and go and still have to say they are not worth it....you could try ww mini bagel with pb or ww triscuit with 2% cheese...i am always looking for things like that to fit in without the bars that i find trigger my cravings more than anything.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/183/135

Height: 5'4

Talking love these

I love the peanut butter version of the sbd bars. They have good protein and good ingredients so this is one of my faves. I also read somewhere that this was one of the better meal replacement bars out there so all the more reason for me to love them! I personally have not experienced subsequent hunger or cravings after eating this bar but i usually drink lots of water when eating protein bars. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Cryssi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I don't eat eggs much anymore for breakfast, but I love eating oatmeal or oat bran hot cereal for breakfast. I can't recommend the bars. If you read the ingredients, there's sugar and corn syrup in them. After all your hard work getting your body ready for Phase II, I think you deserve a healthier start to your day than using these bars. Just my opinion, but I they're their junk food with the SB name on them.

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-14-2009 at 10:27 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249/189/155

I'm actually a pretty big fan of these SB bars (cinnamon raisin in particular). For me, they often hit the spot when I'm craving something sweet, and I find them pretty satisfying. For example, after eating brunch today at around 11:45 (I totally slept in!), I found myself still feeling hungry and craving something sweet. I had a SB bar, and it's kept me full all afternoon. I also tend to eat it just before I leave work to go to the gym because it fills me up enough to get me through a workout and then the time it takes me to throw dinner together afterward.

I've heard that they can cause cravings for other people, however. It might be a food to introduce slowly to see how your body responds. All I know is that they definitely work for me.
Jessers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199.8/*Ticker*/154

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I've got the PB ones so I'll give them a try in the AM and report back.
H2ODawg is offline   Reply With Quote