Old 06-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/227/125

Height: 5' 4"

Default I am new here and want to join you!

I am so glad to have found this spot.
I have been reading and I just LOVE this community.

It's so wonderful to see such support and I sure could use it too.

When I think about the fact that I need to lose over 100# it really kills me.

I know we are supposed to look at it as 10# at a time (heck, even 1# at a time is good for me) but it is so overwhelming.

I try not to get freaked out but the reality of it all really is mind numbing.

I am doing all the right things.
Exercise, diet, visualization, journaling etc...

I just needed to join a like minded community.
My entire family deals with being obese.

I am the oldest of six girls (two of which have had Gastric Bypass). I am 45 years old and this is my last ditch effort.

I did well on Low Carb but recently went off (just got in a funk and wanted to eat some pasta!). I was Italian in another life, but that's another story.

Anyway I had a wonderful pasta primavera with a couple pieces of whole grain baguette and WOW I was amazed at how much energy I had the next AM on my walk.

I decided it was time to start sort of a whole food plan and have kind of winged it the last couple of days. I am astounded at how much energy I have. I had no idea I had been so drained for the last few months. I have been walking 2 3/4 miles each AM and just made myself DO IT. Today it was actually FUN and I am amazed at how fantastic I feel.

Anyway.. sorry to go on! Just so glad to be here!
NoWallFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am so glad you've found this place. It's unbeatable for advice, information, support and encouragement!

I'm 45 years old as well. I try not to dwell on all the wasted years spent being morbidly obese and miserable. Change is possible at any age, as long as you're open to it.

REally, try not to get bummed out about the amount of weight. I 'm telling you, I was so into the throes of this journey, had I needed to lose 265 lbs I felt I could have. And I could have! And you most certainly can lose those 100 lbs that you need to. Each and every excess pound that we put on - is one we could take OFF. I did find breaking it up into small chunks was a lot easier to deal with. I made a game of it. Gave myself a reward ( a non-food reward that is) for each 10 lbs lost.

Doing what was required to lose the weight was a life altering experience in and of itself. The whole journey was thrilling and exhilarating. I would urge you not to DREAD it, but to EMBRACE it. Find the joy in it. Revel in it. Become EXCITED about the changes you are going to make.

HAve you devised a plan yet? Have you mapped out a course of action? I find having a plan in place is essential. Oooh. I see you say that you will be starting a Whole Food Plan. I too eat mostly whole foods, though I combine it with calorie counting, as that forces me to set limits, and it's built in accountability. I can overeat the healthy stuff too.

Anyway, glad you're here. Stick around and look forward to this new life that you will be carving out for yourself. It's a good one!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-14-2009 at 09:35 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Good for you for just making yourself do it. It's tough, but taking that step is huge. Some days are good, some bad, and others you just have to do it.

Good luck on your journey!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm glad you joined us!

It was a bit overwhelming for me too when I first started but the breaking it down & non-food rewards helped out a lot
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome NoWallFlower! Believe me, you've come to the right place, and you're going to love it here. Three Chicks has been one of the main reasons I've survived so far. The people here are wonderful, and very well informed.

I know what you mean about the large number needed to lose being such a mind numbing, nigh-impossible feat. I started out viewing the same way... as a foolish dream. But I held onto that dream anyway, because I couldn't settle for a more realistic one... not losing that weight, staying heavy and tired forever, would've killed my soul. The good thing is, it does get easier. Now, my 130 to lose seems completely obtainable, though I know it's a long ways in the future. But the future is made up of many little "now"s... enough good days, and you'll get there, believe me.

It's fantastic that you already know what to do about your diet. That you mentioned journaling especially gives me confidence that you're on the right track. Keeping a journal and recording all my food, my calories, my daily thoughts, things I've learned, my weight graph, has helped me immensely. I hope it helps you as well.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #6  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! You'll love being here.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #7  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! You seem to be doing great!

There really is great support here!
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Welcome!

It does seem big, but what being here has helped me realize is that sure I have a lot of weight to lose but I'm going to be eating this way from now on so if doesn't come off today, or tomorrow, it will eventually. Since eating well and exercising isn't time limited anymore I'm not as crazy about taking it off all right now. I know it's time will come, I will do what is necessary and that's it.

I found that I got really worked up with time limited goals, like I want to lose 80lbs this year, but the problem was that I was being too short sighted and viewing it as a brief change rather than a permanent one. Then I'd go all psycho for two months and lose 40lbs then opps back it came.

Journaling is great, you're sound like you've got the eating going in the right direction, good for you and we'll see less of you around very shortly.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

You are in the right place

I eat a whole foods diet and focus on counting calories and getting the right amount of protein for me. I have ENERGY to spare! I love eating this way and you will too.

I know the amount to lose sounds impossible. 100 lbs? Try over 200 lbs. But you know what... how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I lose one pound at a time. Repeat. Many times.

I try to keep the attitude that if I work my plan, my plan will work for me. So far it has and I'm happy with the results.

You sound happy, determined and full of knowledge. I'm happy to have you here!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

You CAN Do this. The great thing about losing at our age (actually, I am a tad older than you) is that we realize that it is OK to take time and do this right. This IS the last time. Whole foods are great! I calorie count and eat a mostly whole foods diet (I do have some processed stuff like MSF and Boca burgers).

It is a GREAT plan.

Stick around here, because everyone is right - this site is awesome! I couldn't have done it without the chickies here
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #11  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Welcome! I've only been here for a few weeks, but I've found so much support and encouragement already. Not only that, but these ladies are quite knowledgable when it comes to nutrition and other food info which has helped me tons!

Looking forward to sharing our experiences with one another!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #12  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I'm glad you discovered whole foods! You can't go the rest of your life without eating pasta! I use a portion control/exchange plan to count my calories for me. For me it works really well. The carbs and protein are balanced, too and so far it's working.

Hard for me to get through my head--though my body responded immediately--was how much solid protein I need to eat. We had been eating very little meat--but now I have up to 5 ounces a day. Not much on a diet like South Beach or Atkins--but enough for me and our pocketbook, thank you very much!

I don't even think about the fact I've more than 100 lbs to lose. The fact that I calculated it wuld take me 1 year, 1 month and 1 week means only that I want to be very, very sure that the plan for eating (and excercise) is something I can sustain for at least that long, week after week.

So far, so good. I just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, one hour at a time.....

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-14-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Hi
Nice to meet you!
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Glad you found us!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #15  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

As others have said, it can be a little over-whelming at first. But once you get your footing, it becomes a way of life, hence making it a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience. Hang in there and believe me, you have come to the right place. These gals/gents are the best of the best.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote