Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #1  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

Default My beginning and a a couple questions

Hi everyone!

I've been told this is a great group of people; even though I don't have 100# to lose, I'm pretty darned close.

I'm doing calorie counting. I can't offhand remember what website I used to figure out my daily calorie intake, but it came out to 1792/day. The first day was 6 small meals, but for the rest of the week was 5 - 4 at work, and 1 at home -- this is because hubby always has eaten later at night and I would like to eat dinner with him (about 9pm). However, I try very hard to get fewer calories at that time. Being that I haven't gained any weight for well over a year makes me think that the late night dinner is not the problem of losing.

Unfortunately, my first week started this past Monday and I started TOM on sunday, *ugh*.... anyways the scale showed 211 Monday morning, which is one pound less than I've been at for over a year. I made a mistake and weighed myself Wed and it said 215! YIKES!! So, now I'm unsure if TOM has anything to do with it, or if I need to lower my calorie intake by at least 100 calories/day.

Plus, I haven't done any exercise. I absolutely, hate to exercise. So, I have to find something I can stick to, for at least 20 minutes, 3 times a week, right? I was thinking of walking around the house for 5 minutes, and then doing some waist turns, leg lifts, stuff like that (unsure of the name but I don't think it's aerobics). I also wondered if 3# hand weights that I thought maybe I could for the arms.

So, my questions are... do I need to cut the calories, or try another week to see what happens? And, how I get this exercise routine going?

Thanks everyone!
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome to you!

Have you thought about just going for a walk outside? You'd be surprised how far simply walking will get your with respect to weight loss. You can start with 15-20 minutes and work up from there.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #3  
Tammy

I live in Georgia, and right now, it is soooooooo dang hot, I would probably pass out from the humidity! I am not a morning person, so doing a walk before I get ready for work is out of the question. I was leaning toward just the walking but right now since it's so insanely hot already in the season, it's just not an option for me; especially since I get hot flashes when it's 40 degrees out! LOL
Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome to our group. Glad you're here.

Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone is a GREAT indoor walking DVD. The 1, 2 & 3 Mile express is a great way to begin.

And believe it or not, once you get going, exercise isn't all that bad. And the results are worth it. It can really push along the weight loss. But hate it or not, I believe it's one of those things you've just got to do, whether or not it's a total blast - like the laundry and brushing your teeth.

TOM can definitely pile on upwards of 5 lbs of water. Stick with your plan and once TOM is over, the extra pounds should woosh away.

As for *making a mistake* by weighing yourself, I don't think that's necessarily true. The year I was losing, I weighed every single day. I looked at it and moved on. It's a reality check first thing in the morning that I think is important. Keeps me AWARE and on my toes. No more avoidance. It's a reminder that every thing I put in my mouth has consequences, so I better choose carefully. And yes, I've learned to deal with those perfectly normal ups and downs.

I wouldn't cut those calories just yet. Though all of those calorie calculators are just "guesstimates". No one or nothing can tell you EXACTLY what number will produce weight loss for you. You do that through trial and error. You can keep on doing what you're doing. Really make sure you're counting every bite, lick and taste and see what kind of results you get. And yes wait till TOM is gone to get a more accurate picture. You can reassess in a couple of weeks.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #5  
Tammy

Thanks for replying rockinrobin; I was thinking because TOM came into play, I really shouldn't mess with anything for at least another week after I started.

I have to see if maybe I could rent the 'Walk Away the Pounds' at my library. I would hate to waste the money of buying it and it not working.

Thanks everyone for your response!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #6  

Welcome!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Ladyviv! Nice to see you here! See, I told you folks here were great! Aren't they just?

I get on the scale just about everyday--but the "official' weigh-in is only once a week.

Do try Leslie Sansone from the library--that's an excellent way to see whether or not someone's style works for you. Any Leslie Sansone workout will do. I love Sansone's cool, calm, cheerfulness. The workouts are not "exciting" but they get the job done without fuss. My kids do the workouts with me. We did a few in the winter when it was cold outside!

Keep posting--find the NSV thread and don't hesitate to start threads and bring up any concerns you may have.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

It's so nice to have you here!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Welcome ladyviv

Like Robin said you shouldn't rely on those calorie counters to tell you how many calories to eat. I personally think 1792 a day is a little high and would drop it down some. But, you have to see what works for you and that will show up on the scales. Right?

TOM totally affects my weight and I learn to not let it get to me.

As for exercise, I used to despise it! I now like it and actually crave it when I've had to stop for whatever reason. Doing anything is better that nothing. If you can't walk outdoors because of the heat and I understand that being a Georgia girl myself, then how about going indoors to a mall. Or if nothing else put on some fast music and dance in your living room. 20 straight minutes of dancing is aerobic and you will see a difference in your weight and in the way your body feels.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyviv View Post

I have to see if maybe I could rent the 'Walk Away the Pounds' at my library. I would hate to waste the money of buying it and it not working.
!
Ahhh, but it will work - if you MAKE it work. That is of course up to you. That aside, renting it is a great idea and I don't think you will be disappointed.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

As usual - sign my name to Robin's posts.

WATP was a HUGE part of my success. Until beginning this journey - I NEVER found an exercise program that I could stick to (see my couch potato encouragement thread). WATP is a GREAT program, and I LOVE how Leslie is so encouraging and inspiring.

You CAN do this. If this old chickie can, so can you!

I weigh myself daily (and have througout this journey). I keep the data in Excel and calculate a weekly, bi-weekly and monthly average. Even when the daily or weekly numbers stayed the same - or even increased - the montly averages went down. Being able to see the overall trends helped me through the daily-weekly fluctuations that WILL occur.

This IS a journey. Don't get discouraged by the present. You WILL be successful, if you just stick to your plan!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to the board! You were told right; this place has done wonders for me, in every way. Before I found it, I spent years alternating between diets that were emotional nightmares, and binges because I assumed I was already doomed. But the people here have been hugely supportive, and provided tons of valuable information that really saved me.

As to your questions, I'd say don't cut the calories for at least a month, and don't cut them at all unless you stall out for longer than a month. The body fluctuates weight normally, so don't pay attention to little ups and downs. And the body fights to stay at what it's used to, so you might not see the loss you'd like to for awhile. But that doesn't mean you're not making progress; keep to your plan and stay patient, and you'll see the loss soon enough.

Simple walking definitely works for me as an exercise. If you want to boost your results without having to get athletic, make sure to get all of your daily protein intake.

Also, high five fellow Georgian! I hear you on the heat, my AC's broken down twice this summer from the strain of it. Have you considered walking at night, or extremely early in the morning? That's usually how I do it, to avoid the weather and bugs.

Last edited by Jo Kittibuck; 06-13-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

So glad to see you made it here!!

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #14  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

was 1792 the calories to maintain life signs or to lose weight? If the latter, it couldn't hurt to try, if you're like me even 1792 is a heckuva lot less than a normal fat person intake!
If you don't lose on that, having tried it for a few weeks, you could look at dropping, maybe. I'm sure chickies are tired of me saying it but - it's important not to go too low on the calories, especially not too soon. I was stalling at 1200 but losing on 1500 at 5'2" and 225 when I restarted.

Good luck!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 301 / 298 / 175

Height: 5'5

Welcome Lady! I'm in Atlanta so I can completely relate with the not wanting to exercise outside. It's not so much the heat that kills you but rather the humidity.

Each person is different so each approach will be different. What works for one person won't work for another. A lot of weight loss is about educating yourself on how your body works then experimenting to see what works for you.

As far as calories are concerned, your amount seems a little high to me. I used a similar website and my maximum is 1724 and I'm about 80lbs heavier than you. But like I said, each person is different so if you find you can loose at that amount, then by all means use it. If not, I'd suggest cutting by 100, try it for *at least* two weeks and then reevaluate.

Also, I weigh every day though Monday is my "official" weigh in. For me it helps keep me honest and reminds me every morning why I'm doing this.

Keep experimenting and welcome to the group
AtlGirl is offline   Reply With Quote