Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #1  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Default Striving for a weight I used to hate

This is both frustrating and exciting. It's frustrating because 140lbs was a weight that I used to feel fat at, and be a size 10 at, and when that's what I feel like I have to look forward to, it's hard to get motivated.

On the other hand, it's exciting because I think I'm more toned than I used to be at that weight, and at that weight my body fat percentage will be 18%, assuming I don't lose muscle. So, I'm excited that I *only* have to get down to 140 to be fit and toned and slide into some size 8s (I hope), and excited that my physique might be better and more toned than it was when I was even thinner than that.

Anyone else having this kind of experience?
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I recognize the experience!
One of my goals is to get to 172, which seems such a lot lighter than my start weight of 242 (and it is), but it's the 'omigod I'm so gross' weight I started from when I first lost al the weight I needed to, some 25 years ago.
The second time, 5 years ago, I started at 242, aiming for 120 but got to 136. People said I looked skinny in the face but my body was certainly untoned, a UK10-UK12.
THIS time, I'm aiming for 135 but going for a toned body so that I look better, more in proportion and fit into UK10s regularly!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I know exactly what you mean. I am still more than thirty pounds more than my goal, a weight I hated and felt fat at and wore size 8s in. But listen, time has passed, we might not look the same when we get there, and for me at least it was a lot more work to be in the 120s, so to heck with it! I picked my goal because I have been there before, and I know I can do it, and we have to start somewhere, and I will reevaluate the situation when I get there.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #4  

Height: 5ft6'

I was 120lbs in highschool and 5'6. I was a size 8-5. All my friends were like 5'3 and size 2-0. I always felt fat with them. I know now they looked like boys and I had curves and muscle and looked amazing. Teenage girls, i tell ya! I would kill for that body now. But I'm pretty excited about the one I will have when I reach goal.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #5  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Same here. I've never been "thin," but back in the days of early high school I was 150-160ish and I think I wore a 12(?). I thought I was the biggest tub of lard (didn't help that I had friends that would call me up, so excited that they had finally made it into triple digits, ie. weighed 100lbs).

Now, I can't wait to be 150-160. I'm aiming for lower, so I can have a healthy BMI, but I can't wait to see what I look like at that weight. I avoided the camera a lot, even then, but the few pics I do have look pretty darn good!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #6  
There Is No Wagon

The thing is though, the lowest I could ever go and still have the bare minimum percentage of fat on me (10-12%) is 130, so I'm not even aiming for lower than 140...it's like, that's it, that's all I get and I'm only 5'5". So I have to have faith that I will look better at 140 than I'm accustomed to looking at that weight.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

In highschool I was between 150-160 and thought I was the biggest girl around (I wasn't, I have serious self-perception issues). Now I think I'd gravely injure someone to be at 170, like I was when I was 20. I was between a size 10 and 12 at that point, and I looked good (judging from pictures)! If only I could go back to my 20 year old self and be like LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE NOW AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!

I'm not a "body hater" - I appreciate what I have, and I'm working to make it better. I don't necessarily disgust myself (unless its a bad picture, but the camera adds 10-20 lbs ) - I just know I should be healthier - that's my main motivation. I'm not so sure I was healthier in highschool since I had one meal a day (which was usually chicken mcnuggets) and slim fast for breakfast.

When I get to my goal (its not an IF, its a WHEN) I will know I will be healthier, both because of my eating choices and having a non-obese BMI.

Last edited by stellarosa27; 06-12-2009 at 09:49 AM.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #8  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

When i was in Highschool i was 155-160 pounds and at almost 5'7" I wore anywhere from a size 10-14. I have HUGE hip bones and it all depends on the brand and how they were made. Back then i thought i was fat because of the size of jeans i wore. at a reunion a few years back i so felt better once i found out that one of the cheerleaders who was one of the best wore the same size i did. Now looking back at pictures i wish i was that size now because i honestly was not fat at all.. Kinda makes me sick right now..lol I know i will get back to where i have to be sooner or later!!

Best of luck all to everyone!! We all know how hard this is and can be!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #9  

Height: 5' 6

I've had this experience.
I remember when I was in high school I was getting ready to go to one of the dances. I felt like I was soooo fat. I did not want my parents even taking a picture of me. I even wore a girdle type thing!!! Now I look at those pictures and I realize I wasn't that fat. I would be out of this world excited to be that weight again!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i have definitely thought about this a bit, and the irony of it all. i'm kinda excited to be 140 again. i look better than i have in several years. but at the same time, not so far back in the recesses of my brain, i remember the horror i felt when i reached 140 going the other direction. and compounding the private horror i felt at the time (i think senior yr in h.s.? or maybe junior?), 140 was also when my parents both sat me down together for what would be the first of many "intervention" style "we love you very much but we're so worried about your weight" talks that would plague me for the next 10 years as i grew increasingly heavy. my mother had privately been saying these things in her own way to me for a few years prior, but i cannot even begin to tell you how depressing it was, as a teenage girl, to have both my mother AND my father sit me down and very earnestly express that sort of concern in an organized and premeditated way. gah! makes me embarrassed just to think about it. but anyway, moving into 140 from the other direction, i feel pretty good about things. obviously i'm not there yet, but hey, i'm starting to look good!
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #11  
There Is No Wagon

sws- I totally had this experience with my parents. At about 140 they used to tell me that I "wasn't fat but was going in the wrong direction"...my mother was the more vocal one (telling me in front of friends that I should by myself a nice black one piece and literally slapping my hand/kicking me under the table away IN A PUBLIC RESTAURANT when I would reach for a roll or a french fry), but my father was just as emotionally damaging in his quiet disapproval kind of way...he would only comment every once in a while, but when he would, it would be brutal.

Most people look forward to getting care packages from their mom at college right? Not me...mine would contain magazine articles about weightloss, exercise, and maybe some weight control oatmeal packets! Not very subtle. But at least she cares.

I guess the problem I'm having is two-fold. I definitely have the "omg I can't believe I ever thought I was fat at that weight I would kill to weigh ___ again!", but I also have the knowledge that my body is very different than it was then, and I have to readjust my goals to not want to weigh ____ again, because it would be unhealthy. On paper, 5'5"/125lbs looks healthy; it's a bmi of 21, but for me it would put me at 8% body fat, which is definitely not healthy.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

I know the feeling. I used to think I was overweight at 127lbs. Now I would be thrilled with 140.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #13  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Wow...I had the opposite response from my step mother. After having my first child (at a very young age) she told me that (and I quote) "you will never get your body back, so there is no point in try" & "there is no reason for you to go walking, you will never lose that belly". with all the BAD examples that were being set before me and the poor quality of food being "offered" it became harder and harder to fight it. Eventually it set it. I will never be a size 7 (Rockies) again and I should stop making the effort to look good. I look back now at how I looked at 16 (even after having my 1st child) and I realized just how beautiful I was. Even after gaining 15 lbs (by my senior year)...at 145 - 150 I looked great! I can't believe that I was so hard on myself back then. However, I wasn't healthy.

I can't wait to get back under 200 again. I do have my goal weight set at what I should weight for my height/frame, but I really just want to be healthy and comfortable in my own skin. If I can get to 150, I know I will be happy.
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I have a really hard time comparing my current weight and size to what I was ten years ago when I weighed 130 and wore a size 8. I still weigh more now, but I wear a size 6. It's not because I now have more muscle and am therefore smaller - because I was weight training *then* (10 years ago) and not now, so really it would be the opposite if anything. It's because sizes have changed so much. I don't have any clothes left from that time. And I just cannot tell how my current size compares to back then, it's been too long to really compare just from memory. So I don't know how my final weight will compare this time to last time, I'll just have to see where it ends up.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #15  
There Is No Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestroad View Post
swsmy mother was the more vocal one (telling me in front of friends that I should by myself a nice black one piece and literally slapping my hand/kicking me under the table away IN A PUBLIC RESTAURANT when I would reach for a roll or a french fry),
Ok so I just have to tell the French fry story...maybe I should start a thread about things your mother has said to you that was mortifying at the time but now hilarious. So, my parents came up to VT from MD to visit me, and took me, my boyfriend, and my roommate out to dinner at this gourmet French restaurant that has the best fries ever. They serve a big basket with the meal with a bunch of dipping sauces. We were sharing a basket between 5 people, so I wasn't exactly pigging out, but when I reached for seconds my mother actually practically shouted "Oh, Elizabeth!" at me and reached to stop me from taking the fries. After an awkward silence, I said something like 'thanks mom but those comments aren't actually helping'. Her response: "Oh honey, it's not that you're fat, but french fries give you cancer!" Obv. overdoing it on the transfats is not good, but now I can't eat french fries in front of my friends without a crack about how they're giving me cancer. Just one of the many approaches my mother has tried to get me to stop eating.