Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195

Height: 5'4"

Default Eco Atkins

Eco Atkins is big in the news these days. But what is it, other than meatless? I've been searching all over the web for the plan and can't find a book or anything that could get me started.

I've always wanted to go vegetarian, and I really need to lose weight. I think this may be the diet for me - but I can't find any substantial information! I know that the protein comes from beans, legumes, soy and nuts. But what kind? How much?

Anyone out there know where I can find the complete plan?
Little Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Never heard about it but I have heard of "Eat to Live" which is basically lots of greens and beans but allowances of other stuff.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #3  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

All I've been able to find are lots of news articles but no plan specifics. There is no mention of it on the Atkins site either. From the articles, the diet is protein from soy/beans/legumes etc. + lots of veggies (I presume the non-starchy ones). I'm guessing that there would be no grains/starches. Not sure about the fat amounts.

The articles did mention that it was much healthier than the Atkins versions that were high in animal protein & fat. Ummm, yeah I would guess that. LOL Hopefully they will come out with some specifics soon. I'm thinking that $$ will be involved to find out though. :/
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

This seems "faddish", without a lot of available info. You might be better off looking for vegetarian low carb options - there are plenty of cookbooks for that. Also, a lot of veggies have higher protein than you might think, so don't think all of your protein needs to come from beans, soy and dairy.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #5  
it's always something

I don't know why they call this Eco Atkins. This diet seems so very different from the Atkins plan and allows three times the carbs. I think a better name might be Good Carb Vegetarian, or even Good Carb Vegan since it lacks dairy and eggs. Or even better, Conscious dieting. The main point seems to be to avoid starchy carbs and eat lots of non-starchy vegetables, plus beans or other plant based proteins.

I get the Eco part.

A 2006 United Nations report found that the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it would be very hard to depend on beans for your protein and still restrict carbs to 20g (for induction) or anything close to that.

The "Eco" bit is probably more of a marketing ploy than anything. I think only using organic, pastured meat would go a farther in being eco-friendly than simply being vegetarian but eating factory-farmed eggs and milk/products.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
The "Eco" bit is probably more of a marketing ploy than anything. I think only using organic, pastured meat would go a farther in being eco-friendly than simply being vegetarian but eating factory-farmed eggs and milk/products.
Its a vegan diet so no eggs/dairy.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Right. I read the article wrong. Thanks.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #9  
it's always something

The plan allows around 130 carbs per day, which is quite different from Atkins. It averages 40% fat, which is all unsaturated good fat. The plan is also low calorie, though they don't specify how many calories. They only said the participants consumed about 60% fewer calories than usual.

One interesting point was that this version resulted in the same amount of weight loss as a regular vegetarian diet that includes dairy and eggs. The main difference was the lower cholesterol levels. Eliminating sat fats will do that.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
There is no mention of it on the Atkins site either.
The reason you won't find any mention of the "eco-atkins" diet on the Atkins site is the diet was invented by Professor David Jenkins of the University of Toronto....not by Dr. Robert Atkins.

To my knowledge, its a high protein, "low carb" (if you consider 130 carbs a day low carb), vegan eating plan that uses plants for protein rather than meat. Foods like soy burgers, veggie bacon & deli slices....all of which are processed and are not Atkins friendly.

As for cholesterol reduction....it was a whopping 0.6 reduction in LDL cholesterol. Hardly seems worth all the hype the media is placing on this. But...the really interesting part of the study was who funded it... Solae Company of St. Louis, Mo., which manufactures soy foods
http://www.daytondailynews.com/lifes...ds-153593.html
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #11  
Just Me

The .6 reduction was in comparison of a low carb vegetarian diet. Another article I read said it had up to 30% reduction in LDL cholesterol for participants.

Although my cholesterol dropped dramatically when I went vegan and I didn't even have high cholesterol in the first place. My husband had the same experience. Both of us were told by our doctors (different docs) that we had the lowest cholesterol levels they have ever seen. I was reading the Engine2 (vegan) diet and they show the cholesterol level drops of their various participants and its pretty amazing.

The dairy and beef council fund a lot of studies here in the US, it doesn't seem odd to fund studies if you are trying to find something which may result in an increase in consumption of your product. The dairy industry funds a lot of educational endeavors in hopes of 'getting them young'.

Last edited by nelie; 06-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #12  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
To my knowledge, its a high protein, "low carb" (if you consider 130 carbs a day low carb), vegan eating plan that uses plants for protein rather than meat. Foods like soy burgers, veggie bacon & deli slices....all of which are processed and are not Atkins friendly.
One of the articles I read mentioned using beans/legumes for those who can't have soy (like me). I agree about the processed soy stuff...that is what I cannot have but edamame and a little tofu does not bother me.

The trouble I have found with most vegan diets is that the carbs are just too high for me so I was interested in finding out more details on eco-atkins. I wonder how can the use the Atkins name (Eco-Atkins) if it's not affiliated with Atkins??
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #13  
it's always something

Mizski, the name eco-Atkins is not being used officially be the diet plan, it was just used as a means of comparison and probably because it would catch more attention that way. It was probably the media that dubbed it.

I think this is the Portfolio Diet, a carb controlled vegan diet which Dr. Jenkins has been conducting studies on for several years. The purpose is to find a diet that reduces cholesterol, which it appears to do.

Dr. Jenkins is Canada research chair in nutrition and metabolism at the University of Toronto, department of nutritional sciences, and the director of the Risk Factor Modification Center at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto.