Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Need breakfast food ideas!

Ok, so for weeks and weeks now I've been eating the same sort of breakfast: Two Eggo nutri-grain low-fat waffles with 1 tablespoon of fat free cream cheese one each, followed by my daily decaf coffee, then a 6 ounce tub of light Yoplait yogurt.

It's just not cutting it anymore...I'm starving to death by 9 am, and don't go to lunch 'til 11 am! Maybe I'm eating too early, but I come to work at 6:45-7 a.m. every day, after working out, and I'm hungry and need to eat.

So...I obviously need something with more fiber or more protein, within the same calorie range (about 280-300 calories...and it's coming in at 13 grams of protein).

I was substituting the yogurt for a boiled egg, but you shouldn't have 5 eggs a week, should you?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It doesn't matter if you have 5 eggs a week. You can have an egg every day if you want--assuming you don't have familial hypercholesterolemia.

2 eggs scrambled, 1 piece toast = 250 cals.

1/3 cup granola (serving), 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 peach or other fresh fruit = 225 cals.

1 Boca burger (vegan), 1 large shredded wheat biscuit (no sugar added), 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1/3 cup blueberries = 288 cals.

Breakfast shake: 1 cup 1% milk, 1 egg, 1/2 cup strawberries (no sugar added), plus 22 almonds on the side = 380 cals.

I think you can see how that's going... you can also add 2% cottage cheese, or cheddar cheese, etc....

Jay

P.S. How about adding a snack around 9:30? Like a protein bar, some fruit and string cheese...

Last edited by JayEll; 06-11-2009 at 11:05 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #3  

Cool! I thought you weren't "Supposed" to have more than 3 a week...I should be fine since my cholesterol is in good shape...thanks!!

I think a lot of my problem is that I used to work out at a place that opened at 7 am, and had to be at work by 8. So I'd get in a workout and have to grab something to eat on the run. Now I'm working out somewhere I can get to early, which would allow more time for a more leisurely breakfast...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #4  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

Unless you have problems with cholesterol eggs shouldn't be a problem. If you are really worried about it you could always use egg beaters.

My go to breakfast is oatmeal, its quick, easy and extremely filling and you can make it taste so many different ways, they even have ones where you just add hot water to a cup,like cup-a-noodle soup.

In my yogurt I mix plain puffed wheat cereal, adds fiber making it more filling.

I have 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. Its kind of funny I never used to get hungry now if I miss one of my snacks I do get hungry. There are tons of portable, filling healthy snacks out there now days.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #5  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Maybe the egg substitute or egg whites products? One serving, with a bit of low fat cheese cooked in isn't bad on the calorie count and might stick with you longer. Oh, and it microwaves OK too.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Here a couple of directions that I take:

3 egg whites (60 calories), 2 slices of turkey bacon (70 calories) on whole grain english muffing (120 calories)= 250 calories (sandwich style)

Birschmuesli - 1/3 cup of dried fruit, granola and nuts (this is pre bagged mix) with fat free vanilla yogurt = 300 calories (mixed together like cereal)

3 egg white omelette with spinach, scallions and mushrooms with fat free kraft cheese (1/2 cup)= 200 calories

Morningstar also makes an awesome healthy breakfast burrito with sausage, egg and cheese, and add salsa (a lot) and its like 250 calories (cant remember exactly).

Last edited by luckylindy; 06-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I like Natures own bread or Thomas' whole grain english muffins, 1/3 cup southwestern style egg beaters with yolk added, ICBINB spray and make a sandwich, some apple slices 6 - 8 slices, 6oz yogurt.

I would also recommend the snack, some grapes, cheese, apples, something like that. If I have only toast or oatmeal it does not last until lunch. I have to have the protein in the morning.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'0

I have a hard time with breakfast too. Not because of wondering WHAT to eat, but just not being hungry. I have a desk job though so I can bring snacks to work. Usually I'll force a little cereal w/skim milk down before work the I'll have almonds or yogurt when I get to work.
Nigelswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #9  

I'm intrigued by Egg Beaters...gonna make an unscheduled trip to the store and see if they've got it here....
Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230.4/162.2/140

Height: 5feet 2inches

I EAT THE SAME BREAKFAST EVERY DAY AND DON'T GET TIRED OF IT AT ALL I LOVE LOVE LOVE RICE CAKES EVERY KIND ,EVERY FLAVOR I LOVE LOVE LOVE CREAM CHEESE EVERY KIND I COULD LIVE OFF RICE CAKES IF I COULD THEY ARE LOW ON CALS SOME CREAM CHEESE YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT FOR BUT I DO WELL COUNTING SO I'M GOOD THERE I HAVE 2 RICE CAKES EVERY MORNING(THIS WEEK IT IS CHOC. PEANUT BUTTER) WITH BROWN SUGAR SWIRL CREAM CHEESE MMMMMMM SO GOOD PLUS A YOGURT AND BANANA WORKS WELL FOR ME AND IF I GET BOARD I SWITCH IT UP

S TO ALL
jellybellyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #11  
Getting healthy again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I'm intrigued by Egg Beaters...gonna make an unscheduled trip to the store and see if they've got it here....

I buy egg beaters in bulk. Seriously 8 small cartons a month (they can be frozen). I dont like real eggs all that much. I use them every once and a while but much prefer egg beaters, I use them for everything from breakfast to baking just like whole eggs.

Last edited by Cebsme; 06-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #12  

I've been dodging work today, so I looked up Egg Beaters online...I think it'll be GREAT for me and my husband. I don't have a problem with cholesterol, but I'm fairly sure he either does or is working on one, so it won't hurt him at all. I can use 'em in a lot of stuff, and it'll cut the calories, cholesterol and all.

Is the taste and texture comparable to a cracked egg?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #13  
Getting healthy again!!

To me it is, obviously you don't have the separate yolk and white part, so its not going to be like a fried egg.

I use them for omelets, scrambled eggs, quiche, egg based breakfast casseroles. All things one would use whole eggs for.

I also use them when baking cakes, biscuits, anything that requires eggs.

I suggest getting just one small carton to start. Just plain. They do make flavored ones as well, but plain will give you the best trial.

I loved them immediately when we first tried them a loooong time ago, my husband was hooked by the time the first carton was gone.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #14  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

The latest recommendations I have seen as far as eggs is no more than one YOLK per day. That means an omlette with one whole egg and 3 egg whites is A-OK! Of course, if you like Eggbeaters they are an excellent sub for whole eggs.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I go through phases. I do like greek yogurt with fruit, with some carb on the side...like a 70 cal mini whole wheat bagel, or a sprinkle of high fiber cereal on top. The fiber/protein combo gets me going every time. Then I'll go from that to an egg white, veggie, and turkey scramble for a week or two, with a mini bagel or a slice of toast. Then back to yogurt, but in smoothie form (frozen strawberries, greek yogurt, almond milk, a little vanilla extract).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote