Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Trying to psych myself up for camping

I'm going camping this weekend, for the first time in about ten years. My husband scheduled it a bit sooner than I expected, and he invited his 14yo nephew to join us, which I wasn't expecting, either.

I'm not THAT much heavier than I was then. Maybe 10 pounds... which when you're this heavy isn't make-it-or-break-it. But I've been struggling with tendonitis lately, and I hate that I "wobble" when I first get up and walk.

Anyway, we've been planning menus and going through our gear, updating our stuff, etc. I'm trying to look forward to this.

The kicker is, if it were just me, him, and DD8, I'd probably be just fine. They know me, and know that I'm a bit slow, and that I struggle sometimes. And they give me the leeway I need to do what I can physically. I can enjoy hiking and fishing and walking with them.

But I see A maybe once a year. He's a robust, athletic, slender young man who's active in Scouting. I don't want to be "fat Aunt S" all weekend, and be hyper-aware of what I am struggling to do.

*sighs* I also don't want to ruin the weekend by worrying. It's our first camping trip with our daughter, and she's SO looking forward to it. So I plan to hike, and swim, and fish, and maybe even get on a rowboat or canoe with them.

But part of me is really dreading it, too. And I hate that.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Maybe it would help to think that your thoughts can influence your nephew, depending on whether you're thinking the best of him or the worst.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

You can do this! You're going to have a great time! Keep in mind that most 14yo's are all about themselves and they barely notice that adults might have issues. He'll have a good time with you and you'll be fine.

I'm so jealous. I wish we were going camping! Our weather hasn't been cooperating.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #4  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I am sure your nephew is just thrilled to be going, the thought will probably not even cross his mind! Try to relax and enjoy the great outdoors and the escape from "real life" - that is the best part of camping. Have fun!
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hehe i can't offer any insight -- i have a magnet on a filing cabinet at work that says "I love NOT camping" LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I went camping a couple weeks ago and it was great. It was the first time I've gone camping in probably 15 years when I last went with my parents.

Remember, we all have to start somewhere. When I first started hiking with my husband (when we were dating), I was slow and some hikes I couldn't complete (really hilly ones) or had to take frequent breaks. Over time though, it got better and I got to the point that I didn't need a break and my husband would ask for a break.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there, Ms Synger.

Our yoga instructor today said something pretty profound -- she said, "how would your life change if your only goal was ACCEPTANCE. Acceptance of yourself and what your body can or cannot do. How would accepting yourself change the relationships around you?"

Made me think about how I judge myself and how I believe others judge me, whereas if I just ACCEPTED my limitation and faults and didn't project my own self-doubts onto others and act according to what I BELIEVE they thought, my life would be so much more enjoyable and easier. And so would the lives of those around me...

Kira

ps Camping is FUN!!! You'll have a great time...

Last edited by kiramira; 06-10-2009 at 08:21 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

You're right. I'm getting more excited. We tried the army cots last evening... it sure felt wobbly. *shudders* I'm a little afraid of trying to turn over on it, because we're not sure if it's a 250 pound limit or a 300 pound limit. But I can do it for two nights. Then if it's too wobbly for more camping, I'll special-order one of the larger, sturdier cots. This one was the only kind the surplus store in our area had available at the time, but they can get the bigger ones with more notice.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You have gotten some great advice. People really don't think about us as much as we think they do. He loves you for you.

I must say that I am with Trazey34on the camping. Not my thing! Bugs, heat, dirt!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

And really, from what I remember 14 year old boys only think about one thing, and it ain't their auntie. Have fun and just think of it as extra exercise time.
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy Girl View Post
And really, from what I remember 14 year old boys only think about one thing, and it ain't their auntie. Have fun and just think of it as extra exercise time.
that's too funny, and I'll bet totally true.

I haven't been camping in YEARS. your trip sounds fantastic, I'm jealous.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #12  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy Girl View Post

What she said! I hope you have a great time!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

Doing low-carb camping, especially with a picky 8yo eater, is going to be interesting. We're heading out this afternoon and might not have much time to cook tonight, so I'm making some chili this morning, then putting it in a Ziploc in our cooler so we can just heat it up this evening when we get set up. Gem will help me make corn bread (her fave, which is important when she won't actually eat the chili) after she gets home from school.

Breakfast tomorrow will be toast or oatmeal for her, and eggs/bacon for us. Lunch is sandwiches (turkey slices with hummus for me). Dinner tomorrow is hot dogs and beans (high fiber yumminess!). Then Sunday morning oatmeal/toast (oatmeal with greek yogurt for me).

This is all supplemented by cheese, almonds, beef jerky, and yogurt for extra protein if I need it. Carrot/celery sticks, apples, and bananas for veg/fruit. I'm going to have one s'more, and enjoy every bite. And a bowl-ful of Jiffy Pop popcorn.

We've got the camp box and the chuck box all packed, as well as the non-perishable food. We're getting our clothing and stuff packed this afternoon, and perishable food.

The camp site has swimming and boating, and a lovely hiking trail to the mountain falls. It should be a LOT of fun.