South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/222.5/165

Height: 5'7

Default Questions about the SBD

I was doing the MRC (Metabolic Research Center Diet) and I lost some weight but honestly I gave up. I never got under 17 pounds and I lost my will power totally. I was talking w/ some friends and they were talking about the South Beach Diet. It is similar to the Adkins (low carb), but it is not a no carb diet. I am looking for some type of motivation and some answers to my failed diet past and present, to make it a successful future. I got the book and I am starting to read it, but I wont b starting any diet til the end of next week. (It is my sons bday this weekend and my bday next week) <----- It is a bad excuse I know, but the true. Thanx,
junebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Atkins and South Beach are very different. This thread explains: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92524

Also take a look at the South Beach Diet FAQ. It has tips, explanations and help with getting started. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #3  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

South Beach is a very healthy way to eat and as mentioned, not like Atkins at all. SB helps followers develop a healthy eating plan that they can stick with for life. Main staples are lean proteins, lots of veggies, beans/legumes, fruit, whole grains plus dairy and good fats. The focus is to get away from refined sugars and simple carbs (white bread/pasta) and junky foods.

Which book are you reading? The new SuperCharged contains the latest food lists and suggested interval training for faster weight loss. If you're reading the original book, check out the updated food lists here on 3FC.

I don't know about your past failed diet attempts but I know for me, I focused on losing weight more than learning how to eat correctly. That always flopped after a while. With SB I am now eating what is good for me in correct portions AND losing weight. It is a good thing.

Last edited by mizski; 06-09-2009 at 01:55 AM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I don't know anything about MRC, but I love SB and hope you will to. Glad to see you're reading the book first. Welcome and good luck!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I am really comfortable following the South Beach Plan. The emphasis on health is really important to me. I have the current book and use it and this forum for learning to stay OP. As for reducing carbs, what I have learned from reading the SBD book is that it's not a problem to eat carbs. What I am learning is that the carb problem is eating lots of simple sugars and refined flours (white flour). Specifically, they cause blood sugar to rise and then rapidly fall, leading to cravings, which leaves me never feeling satisfied. Eating good carbs (whole grains, sweet potatoes, and most fruit) keeps my blood sugar on more of an even keel. I don't feel deprived.

After losing alot of weight on my own, my carelessness got me back on the white flour/sugar track last fall. I gained back 20 pounds and just wanted to keep eating.

I have been back on SB for 35 days. I followed P1 for 2 weeks and my cravings are gone. I feel great. I've lost 13 of the 20 pounds. I'm 51 years old and don't want to spend every day counting, weighing and obsessing about everything that goes in my mouth. I understand now, that I can splurge on a piece of cake at the bake sale..... But when I am making something at home, I can make a healthier choice.

This is a lifestyle change for me. I passed on the pie at picnic on Saturday, not because I couldn't have it, but because I wanted to stay on track and lose more weight and feel better.

Best wishes!

The support network here is really great I really keep in close contact because I know that I am still going to have days where I want to pull out the potato chips and eat the whole bag.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Junebaby!

I found that my main problem with dieting in the past is that I just couldn't stick to portion sizes because I was always starving. I realized over the years that I was totally addicted to sugar and processed (bad) carbs. When I took them out of my diet using SBD, I finally was able to stick to portion sizes because the sugar wasn't making me crazy anymore. If you think you may have a similar problem, this really may be the plan for you. It's really healthy and, if you see it as a life change, you'll be much more likely to stick with it.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #7  

Good luck with your search to figure out why past attempts have not worked for you. I think we all have to deal with that issue to be successful long term. I recently realized that a lot of the anxiety I suffer can be directly linked to sugar and white flour. I was shocked to find that after 2 weeks on the diet, I wasn't have nearly as many issues with anxiety. This adds an entirely new aspect to my need to eat a healthy diet. I decided to check out over eaters anonymous. So far it as really helped me. Now that I really "get" that this is about so much more than looking hot in a pair of jeans (not that I don't want that - ha!)..I'm really ready to make the emotional commitment too. Good luck to you!
macsmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Macs....since giving up white flour and sugar I also think the stuff is just plain poison...I used to have horrible indigestion every night. Now, never do I have it even though I eat a lot of hot and spicey foods. Also, had a constant sinus infection...I think I've only had one since I started SB two years ago and it was a virus..I'm VERY rarely sick at all now.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #9  

fem, I believe you completely. DH was a horrible snorer!! Two sleep studies..nothing found except the extreme snoring. 2 weeks into the diet and he quit snoring. 5 weeks and the only time he snores at all is if he gets too much of a popcorn salt he uses! I sleep so much better for that reason alone!!
macsmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote