Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/232/135

Default If I only had the winning lotto numbers...

Then I could go the gym and hire a personal trainer. Then I could also have a personal chef prepare all my food and a personal shopper to do the shopping and bypass the junk food.

So until then I will have to work harder tomorrow than I did today. I was in a chat room last night that was supposed to be about weight loss. Instead I think it was more a room full of foreigners who had a thing for telling me how they have the secret to me loosing weight and wanted to hear all about my fat rolls.... I found it quite interesting that almost everyone I talked to was oblivious to the fact that I have read enough weight loss and healthy living books that I am very aware of the weight loss formula. What they didn't understand is the emotional barriers that I have that have shattered the willpower I need to do this with permanent success.

So today was two miles of fast walking and the hopes that the cake in the kitchen stays in the kitchen and not in my belly.

Thanks for listening to me rant sometimes it helps to remember that I am not alone in this and that there are places like this where people keep it real.....
txnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #2  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnikita View Post
Then I could go the gym and hire a personal trainer. Then I could also have a personal chef prepare all my food and a personal shopper to do the shopping and bypass the junk food.
Nuh uh! I'm pretty sure Oprah and Kirsty Alley have all of this and more, and they are no more successful at keeping the weight off than anyone else!

It's all about you, honey. You need to make the decision that you are going to do this for you and nobody else. Until you make that mental shift, until you take total responsibility and refuse to believe that what anyone else does makes any difference, then all the personal trainers and personal chefs in the world won't help you lose weight and keep it off!

You're right about one thing though. You are NOT alone in this journey! We are all right here behind you, nurturing and supporting you when you need it, and kicking you in the behind when you deserve it!

Keep going. You can do this.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default The winning Lotto ticket, it's in your hand

You hold the key. You've got the power.

Primm, I was thinking the same exact thing about Kirstie Alley and Oprah.

I too used to wish I had Oprah's money so I could have that personal chef and trainer.

And instead of wishing for it, I did something better - I worked for it. I always had a personal chef - the whole time - ME. A personal trainer - had that too - ME. I didn't hit the gym till I had off every single pound that needed to be lost - till I hit goal that is. Personal shopper? - Me again. You make "those" foods off limits - no matter what - and then they don't find their way into your cart.

For every obstacle you throw out there - there IS a solution. You do have to be open to it though.

I actually don't think that will power is what is needed. I believe it's willingness. What are you WILLING to do to get to your goals and stay there? How hard are you willing to work? What are you willing to give up in order to get ahead? Are you willing to be brutally honest with yourself? No more excuses? Are you willing to give this and you the respect that it so rightly deserves? Are you willing to find the time, some how, some way to make this work? Are you willing to make better choices? Are you willing to make your health a number one priority? Losing weight, long term, simply cannot occur without your willingness to do all these things.

You don't have to have everything worked out in your head (emotionally). You don't have to have everything all figured out in order to make a change. In order to take action. I got sick and tired of trying to figure it out. I still haven't. I was done waiting and figuring and hoping and wishing - it was time to just "do".

I'm glad you went for that walk. And no you don't have to eat that cake just because it's there. But, me personally, I don't know your living situation, but I would high tail that cake right the heck out of my house and into the trash. Willingness aside, I do think you have to set yourself up for success and rid your home of the temptation. You can't eat it if it's not there. If you have roommates or something that insist on it - well then you need to declare it "theirs" and 100% off limits to you.

And you most certainly are not alone. So rant away anytime you feel like it. We all know where you're coming from, as we've all been there at one point. Me at many points. For over 2 decades in fact.

Each and every day is a chance to improve your health. Every day is yours to make the choice to exercise and eat well. Every day is yours to be the very best YOU that you can possibly be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

As usual, a FANTASTIC post from Robin. Wonderful advice through and through.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You mentioned a cake in your kitchen. Can you give it away? Or throw it away??
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms Tx, I really feel what you are feeling! Although it IS within our power, it sure would be NICE to come home to prepared, balanced meals! It sure would be NICE to have an expert at our beck and call to maximize our workouts!

I think there is truth in the saying that Oprah and Kirstie didn't KEEP it of any eaiser, but there IS truth in belief that their $$$ made it easier to get there, once they made the decision. And this is a factor that alot of people seem to forget. ONCE the decision is made to eat healthily, a personal chef can go a long ways in helping you reach your goals. And if you check out the Exercise! thread, I don't know HOW many times people have been advised to seek advice from a personal trainer! How much EASIER can it be to have a personal trainer AT YOUR HOME, IN YOUR GYM 3 times a day?

The KEEPING it off, though is the trick. So you need to feel comfortable that the fact that you are CHANGING your lifestyle will make you MORE successful that Oprah and Kirstie. Because the downside of having all that help is that it becomes too easy NOT to take responsibility for yourself. If you say it, and it is done for you, then all you've learned is that you can have what you want when you want. And lifestyle change isn't necessary -- after all, if you regain, you just order up a new lifestyle!!! And people will provide it for you. I don't see any personal growth nor transformation when things are done this way -- and that is probably why Oprah and Kirstie can't seem to keep the weight off. $$$ can get them there, but without the hard times, the effort, the sacrifice, there is no personal transformation which means the same old habits just take hold.

Buck up! Chin up! Keep slogging along! You can and WILL do it and will be MORE successful because you will find the keys that you need to unlock your new body along the way! It just takes time, patience, and determination. And forgiveness.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-10-2009 at 09:53 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wow! I love this thread. I'm copying and pasting to read this in times of need...
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh I thought this was going to be one of those fun threads ... if you won the lottery what would you do that was better for your health?

I had a much better exercise regime when I only worked part-time ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

I'm with you! I want that Chef!
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Oh, and just look at Tosca Reno -- would she really be where she is today without having married Robert Kennedy, fitness expert, former bodybuilding champion, and live-in personal coach/trainer/mentor/fitness magazine owner? Would she really be on the cover of his Oxygen magazine without the expert assistance (and it helps that her husband owns the magazine...)?? She did make the decision to change her life and she does lift the weights, but without the 24/7 mentoring of her husband, she herself acknowledges that she wouldn't be where she is today...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-10-2009 at 10:28 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote