Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #1  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Default What's better: fewer cals, more fat or more cals, less fat?

So I was making a protein shake this morning, and noticed that:

1 cup of almond milk is 40 calories and 3g of fat
1 cup of skim milk is 90 calories and 0.5g of fat

Which do you think is the better choice? I went with the almond milk - so yummy! But I could hear Susan Powter in the back of my head yelling, "It's the fat that's making you fat!"

Last edited by Fressca; 06-08-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

First: this isn't the 90's anymore. And thank goodness.

That fat in almond milk is probably healthy fat from the nuts, so there's nothing wrong with it. Fat keeps your skin/hair/nails healthy, keeps you feeling full longer, and is absolutely necessary for your body!

If you had two kinds of animal milk, one with more fat but less calories and one with less fat and more calories, my answer would be different, because saturated fat from animal sources is unhealthy and worth minimizing in your diet.

How much protein is in each kind of milk? That might affect your decision as well.

I tend to think that if you have two decent options, you might as well pick whichever one you prefer, instead of spending a lot of time thinking about the little details. So if you like almond milk better, just go for it!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I personally have stopped worrying about fat as long as it's healthy fat (olive oil, nuts, avocado). I feel fuller and my food tastes better and it's less processed. So low-fat just doesn't suit me. But I'm sure we're all different. Even when I'm having a treat, I find that fat doesn't pull me off track in the following days the way sugar does.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-08-2009 at 12:03 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #4  

The almond milk doesn't have the calcium that is in milk.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The almond milk doesn't have the calcium that is in milk.
Almond Breeze has 200 mg calcium per 8 ounce cup.

Skim milk has 316 mg per 8 ounce cup.

Granted it is not as much calcium as skim milk but isprobably better for you because the fat in almond milk is unsaturated and healthier for you.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I agree with Julie wholeheartedly.

I drink only unsweetened almond milk now.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #7  
Workin' It

I've never tried almond milk, can it be used in anything you use milk in? I used to drink Silk or other soy beverages, but the soy tends to have undesired gastrointestinal side effects that I don't get from skim milk...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Yes, almond milk can be used just like ordinary milk...

be sure to get the unsweetened if you are watching calories.

Another benefit of it is that it is shelf stable--only needs refrigeration after opening.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 06-08-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I agree with Julie wholeheartedly.

I drink only unsweetened almond milk now.
This thread has me thginking. I have never tried almond milk and I was wondering (just a minute ago) if almond milk came unsweetened. You have answered my thoughts.

Since I do not like cow's milk (and goat's milk is barely tolerable), I think I will pick up some almond milk on my next shopping trip and whip some up in my blender with some sort of an unsweetened protein powder and a banana or a few berries.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cow's milk isn't the greatest source of calcium and since animal proteins can leech calcium, I wouldn't put it even in the top 10 of calcium sources. I think Bok Choy wins in terms of calcium but there are also plenty of other good sources.

I don't eat dairy so I use almond milk and more recently I bought unsweetened coconut milk at 50 calories per 8 oz cup. I eat a fairly low fat diet but I prefer to have no added sugar and fat rather than added sugar and lower fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #11  
Changing behaviours

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
First: this isn't the 90's anymore. And thank goodness.
Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Even when I'm having a treat, I find that fat doesn't pull me off track in the following days the way sugar does.
Yep, agree with this ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've never tried almond milk, can it be used in anything you use milk in? I used to drink Silk or other soy beverages, but the soy tends to have undesired gastrointestinal side effects that I don't get from skim milk...
I love almond milk in shakes and smoothies, and on cereal - it's divine on Nature's Path Pumpkin granola - but not so much in tea or coffee. I prefer skim milk for those. Maybe it's because the almond milk is so creamy. And I don't like soy at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
Since I do not like cow's milk (and goat's milk is barely tolerable), I think I will pick up some almond milk on my next shopping trip and whip some up in my blender with some sort of an unsweetened protein powder and a banana or a few berries.
I bet you'll love it! I blitz together some unsweetened almond milk, chocolate protein powder, half a banana and a Tbs of flaxseed for a wonderful protein shake.

I think the jury's in - fewer calories and more fat wins. Thanks for the input, chicks!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #12  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

You know, sometimes those things that are within your plan are PERFECT for you, even if there are "better" things around.

As for "fat making you fat" -- WRONG!!! Fat is essential for your body and for vitamin absorption. I think that "CHEETOS are making you fat" or "TAKEOUT makes you fat" is more appropriate.

As for the CALCIUM debate -- the best souce of calcium is the one that you like enough to eat enough of so you can take in this mineral!!! Bok choy may have the most "calcium" per serving, but I will happily consume a heck of alot more dairy in my diet than I will bok chop. So for me, I choose dairy as my primary calcium source as for me, it is easier for me to get it in than, say, 6 cups of bok choy...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-08-2009 at 04:32 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #13  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
As for the CALCIUM debate -- the best souce of calcium is the one that you like enough to eat enough of so you can take in this mineral!!! Bok choy may have the most "calcium" per serving, but I will happily consume a heck of alot more dairy in my diet than I will bok chop. So for me, I choose dairy as my primary calcium source as for me, it is easier for me to get it in than, say, 6 cups of bok choy...
My point was saying by eliminating cow's milk, you aren't doing harm in terms of calcium and used bok choy as an example. If you are eating a varied diet, you are most likely getting enough calcium (or whatever) from other sources. Leafy greens, beans, seeds, etc are excellent sources of calcium. Also non-dairy milks generally have a good amount of calcium so there really shouldn't be a concern substituting cows milk for non-dairy milks.

Oh and also if you range the amount of calcium in various food vs cow's milk, cow's milk is kind of in the middle range as opposed to the high end range of amount of calcium it contains.

Last edited by nelie; 06-08-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #14  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms Nelie! My post wasn't direct to you nor to anyone other than the OP!!! I'm sorry if I offended you. I was just saying that although there are lots of ways to get in our nutrients, the best way is often the way that we actually enjoy. You shouldn't feel obliged to drink cow's milk for the calcium, if you like nuts and leafy greens and salmon with the bones in as your source, that's all! And vice versa!!! So if you like almond milk but it has more fat that cow's milk, but you LOVE it and there are great nutrients in it and as you need fat in your diet and it fits in your plan, GO FOR IT!!! Don't be stuck with the "shoulds"!!!

I think we're saying the same thing!!!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-08-2009 at 05:25 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #15  
Just Me

kira - Not offended but one thing I've been trying to learn about is really how important are certain nutrients and what are good sources? Basically, a well rounded diet seems to be the answer Another similar example is bananas are a good source of potassium but they are actually on the low/medium range in terms of foods as good sources of potassium. I'm not sure why they got picked out one day as being the suggested source of potassium.