Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/237/200

Height: 5'3"

Default Arm exercises?

Anyone know some good arm exercises to get rid of this:

I know there's no way to spot reduce fat, but maybe some other muscles can get really strong and hold the fat in place better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 72.jpg (18.8 KB, 32 views)
ale2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

What you want are exercises that work your triceps.

Some days, when I'm in front of a mirror, that part of the body is the bane of my existence. I have developed some decent muscle definition in my arms, but the flesh still hangs there underneath & is marked with striated stretch marks. There's also a lot of jiggle, which I hate. For me, alas, I think only surgery is going to work, as I think some of it is loose skin.

I can't make my arms shapely there, but I can make them STRONG, so that is what I have concentrated on instead.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #3  

the excess skin theory would make sense as to why mine get worse as I lose more weight.

I will however try some tricep workouts and see how that goes. thanks!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #4  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

wouldnt it be fabulous if we could invent a cream that slowly ate away the fat inside the arm and then shrunk the skin back to where it should be and made it super firm!? yeah yeah i know there are some "firming" lotions but lets be serious... they barely do anything! Tricep dips would make your triceps toned and defined and maybe they will steal the spotlight from the excess skin i lovingly refer to as bat wings... lol I wish you luck and if for some reason anyone does develop a miracle cream please do share!!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would say to keep going on your weightloss and tone along your journey. I did the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (still do) and I think it helped my arms TREMENDOUSLY. Hand weights and the accompanying movements in the DVD and push ups (also part of the DVD) did it for me. The greatest thing is the Dvd is only 20 minutes. Once your body goes down those muscles will begin to come through. Skin will come together but it varies person to person.--Genetics and age play a big part in that. I have had to be realistic and realize that I was obese for several years. My body will probably never come together as well as someone that was always fit--unless I have surgery.

If you have Free On Demand you could check it out there. (30 DS I mean)

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 06-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

hmm.. I was just thinking if you had shapely deltoids/shoulder muscles it would help pull up some of the skin to the top side...? I guess also if you work the bicep it will add muscle tone around the bicep area the skin will have to cover too... this is why I'm starting my strength training now! I'm not going to wait till I've lost some fat with cardio and diet. Cuz by the time I do that I want to have nice shapely muscles under it! So my recommendation is to focus more on the Triceps & Deltoids and lightly train the bicep as well. (I've found I don't need to train my bicep as much to see results). Make sure you work all three heads of the triceps and do diff delt exercises because I think there are like 4 muscles in the deltoids (shoulders). And the one that comes down the side of your shoulder i think a Lateral Raise with dumbells will work that.

okay after reading my response I realize I didn't give you a specific exercises so I found some on one of my favorite sources of muscle building exercises... Those hyperlinks go to M&F Hers website. also check out other fitness magazines like Shape's, Fitness's, & even Self's websites for great at home & gym workouts for those!
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #7  

thank you thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

From the fat burning perspective, as you stated yourself, you cannot spot reduce fat, so you want exercises that work many muscle groups to burn as much fat as possible.

From a muscle building perspective, total work performed is going to drive the adaptation and a huge portion of that total work is going to come from the load lifted. Arm isolation exercises are low-load exercises. Chinups, pushups, close-grip bench presses, rows (especially with a supinated grip) are all high-load exercises. While, they may hit other areas other than the arms, the share of the work done by the arms (since the load is much heavier) is still at least equal and often times much greater than most of the arm isolation exercises plus the body gets to function as a unit like it was designed to.

If chinups (assisted if need be)
Pushups (starting with your hands elevated on stairs if need be)
Heavy rows
Heavy presses
are not all part of your current routine, they should be.

Some isolation is not a terrible thing, but it should be the finishing touch. Compound movements should be the core of your program. A couple of sets of tricep exentsions, Tate presses, or pushdowns at the end for your triceps or some curls at the end for your biceps is perfectly fine, but these should be to accessory exercises to your main workout.

Also, I'm not sure what you do for cardio, but if it involves machines, give the rowing machine a go.

Last edited by Depalma; 06-08-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Also, some dips on a bench .... I do a fair amount of these .... I go down until my butt is only an inch above the floor.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #10  

Everything Depalma said.

Working out your whole upper body will do more for you than just working your triceps.
I had amazing results doing lat pulldowns and bench press with heavy weights.
Push ups and pull ups will do the same thing essentially.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #11  

yes, this has always been a bit of a conundrum to me. why is it that i can workout infinitely on the cross training machine or stair climbing machine, but still have a hard time running and climbing stairs in real life? I'd rather do physical activity as you say, with high load, using my own body weight. and no, there's no rowing machine at my gym, unfortunately i do like that machine a lot though.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 AM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
this has always been a bit of a conundrum to me. why is it that i can workout infinitely on the cross training machine or stair climbing machine, but still have a hard time running and climbing stairs in real life?
The reason is that in real life you're using more auxillary muscles. If you're running, you need your proprioceptors - sort sensors that sense where you are in space and activate the muscles that keep you oriented upright. You also are moving on varied surfaces and angles, keeping your body constantly shifting albeit slightly. ALso in real life, no belt keeps you moving at the same pace, you speed up and slow down all the time. Same when you go up and down stairs, those proprioceptors help orient your body and your speed changes all time time.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote