Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #1  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Are you a picky eater?

Anyone else a terribly picky eater? I am picky about certain textures. I hate veggies...most meats. It is horrible. And I'm too chicken to try anything new.

I've used this as an excuse for not changing my diet for a long time..

So I guess I'll be hunting for some nice recipes.
Anyone hated a certain food pre-weight loss, then learned to love it?
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

YES! You just described me exactly. I used to think I was so picky, but I somehow managed to eat my fair share of cookies, candy and chips, so how picky could I really have been? I pretty much used to hate all veggies except lettuce and carrots, but now I've grown to love squash, spinach, peppers, and am starting to experiment with others that I used to "not like". I may be even pickier now, in the sense that I'm so careful about what I put into my body, but I think that's a good kind of picky.

I know it's hard, but just try to let go of your fear of new food. There's so much delicious, healthy food out there but you have to be willing to experiment and get to know what works for you.

Good luck! Yummy food awaits!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I am really picky about sweet and salty things. I hate anything that combines the two. I accidentally ate kettle corn once. Ick! If it is something I think of as "savory" I don't want anything sweet with it. So chicken with mango salsa I would never do. And never ever do I want any kind of syrup touching my bacon. I put pancakes on a separate plate so that no syrup gets on the rest of my food. Then I eat the pancakes first, and when I am done with them, the rest of the meal. I am completely obsessive about this.

I also will not eat dark meat chicken or turkey. If I was starving I would, but there is no way otherwise.

But vegetables and fruits I pretty much like them all. So I'm not picky about that.

None of this affected weight loss though. Just my strangeness.

Last edited by Qualera; 06-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualera View Post
I am really picky about sweet and salty things. I hate anything that combines the two. I accidentally ate kettle corn once. Ick! If it is something I think of as "savory" I don't want anything sweet with it.
I hate the mixing of the two also!!!! Especially when it comes to maple syrup touching breakfast meat or eggs. I think the McGriddle is the work of the devil and not just because of the calories.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I learned as an adult to like lots of things I wouldn't try as a child. But the only thing I can think of that I learned to like while dieting (not counting learning to truly like things with less or no sugar, which has been amazing) is fish. I had to make myself eat it for a while, and then it started tasting good. And then ... I became vegetarian. Kind of ironic.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

No! Put it on a plate and I'll shovel it in! (As a child we didn't even have the choice of eat it or Don't eat it, it was eat it.)

Negative: that's how I got so fat.
Positive: I've now got a huge field in which to make my healthy choices.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, I'm a picky eater. I will only eat delicious foods. I refuse to eat something I don't like, even if it's "healthy". I'm pickier now then before that's for sure. I will not waste one precious calorie on garbage and food that I don't thoroughly enjoy. I could not say that in the past. Before, I wasn't all that picky - I'd eat almost anything. I had no problem eating mediocre cake and cookies. Greasy foods that were actually disgusting now that I think of it. Now, I would almost say I eat gourmet foods. Day in and day out.

Quote:
Anyone hated a certain food pre-weight loss, then learned to love it?
First thing that comes to mind is tomatoes. I hated them prior. LOVED tomato sauce, but not the actual veggie, or is it a fruit?

I knew tomatoes were weight loss powerhouses and oh so healthy. I first tried them sliced and broiled in the oven. OMG. SO good. They're great on chicken, fish or even when I want a little snack. I broil one up with some zucchini and spices. HEAVEN. Then I tried them diced small in a salad - yummy. Then I really ventured out and tried grape tomatoes - all on their own - I eat them all the time now. Every day. I adore them.

Quote:
I hate veggies...most meats
Now saying that you don't like vegetables is saying a LOT. There are tons of vegetables out there and tons of different cooking methods to try. Forget boiling and steaming broccoli. That doesn't even begin to skim the surface. You are going to have to venture outside of your box a bit though and do some major experimenting and discover foods that you love and different ways to prepare them.

Chicken? Fish? Again tons of ways to prepare them. Experiment with different spices, vinegars, broths and different combinations.

I'm eating things now I never even tried in the past. Our menu is so varied now. We're eating fabulous foods that everyone and any one could eat and enjoy - butternut squash, turnips, fritattas, chilis, soups galore, fabulous and unusual salads, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted green beans, roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower. I season things with cumin, chilli powder, garlic, onions - one dish more delicious then the next.

I urge you to do some experimenting and find foods that you LOVE. They're out there. You're just going to have to seek them out. Be creative and adventurous. There's a whole new fabulous world of food out there, waiting for you. Go out there and get it. I am without a doubt a bigger "foodie" now then I was before. It's not even close.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm not picky at all! There are a few things that I have decided not to eat again - Brussels sprouts lead the list - and I have practically given up on fish although I like all kinds of shellfish. Other than that, it's all fair game.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #9  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

Height: 5'6

I'm super picky, but not like I won't eat certain textures. I HATE all condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, sour cream, etc). I hate most sauce style toppings similar to condiments. I hate tomatoes and most onions and peppers. I'm scared of hummus. There are a lot of foods I just refuse to eat just because I believe they'll be nasty.

I have gotten a little better lately, and I tried sushi for the billionth time and actually have become quite addicted. I usually don't like soy sauce, so I wouldn't dip my sushi, but then I tried the soy/wasabi mixture and kind of like it now, too. I also recently ate guacamole and didn't hate it, but I don't want to eat it again.

I guess sometimes you have to be open enough to take bites of something new until think you like it.
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Search Kaplods posts. She has some incredible ideas for preparing veggies quickly.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #11  

Height: 4'11"

Your taste buds will change some as time goes on. I used to think I didn't like salad, but what I realized is that I don't like cold lettuce. If I make myself a wilted lettuce salad I love it. Weird I know.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Yes, I'm a picky eater. I will only eat delicious foods. I refuse to eat something I don't like, even if it's "healthy". I'm pickier now then before that's for sure. I will not waste one precious calorie on garbage and food that I don't thoroughly enjoy. I could not say that in the past. Before, I wasn't all that picky - I'd eat almost anything. I had no problem eating mediocre cake and cookies. Greasy foods that were actually disgusting now that I think of it. Now, I would almost say I eat gourmet foods. Day in and day out.
Exactly. I think that attitude and approach is the only thing that makes this doable for me. It's definitely the only thing that makes it sustainable. It removes so much temptation, since most of what I encounter out there "in the wild" is poor quality.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-06-2009 at 11:23 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

I'm picky about smells. If something doesn't smell good, I usually won't put it in my mouth. I get told at work I'm a picky eater because I don't eat sweets, anything fried, meat, typical "American" food, or refined grains. I don't think of that as being picky though. I'll try any kind of food at least twice, if I didn't like it the first time I'll try it another way.

The only vegetable I positively will not eat in any way is lima beans. It's a texture thing I guess, I just don't enjoy them.

On a side note, don't be afraid of hummus! I introduced it to several people at work who were scared to death of it, and they're forever asking me to make more now.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I heard once it takes children being exposed to something 10 times before they have the ability to develop a taste for it. I thought that was interesting. Personally I'm in Ailidh's boat. I love food and eat all of what you put in front of me if I'm not careful.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #15  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

no, i'm not picky at all. I'll try anything once - what's the worst that can happen if you eat something and hate it?? just rinse your mouth with a drink or eat something else really fast afterwards LOL it won't kill you!!! That being said, obviously somethings i like less than others - try as i will, i don't love fish, and not super excited about some curries...imagine my delight when at a dinner party she served a CURRIED FISH DISH!!! omg LOL but I ate it like a champ!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote