Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/189/170

Height: 6'0"

Default The Freshman 15... Well, 25...

I am nineteen years old, and about 25 pounds overweight. I am six feet tall, and used to be about 175 when I was running track in high school, feeling slender and excellent, but not COMPLETELY where I wanted to be... but close. During the AP test crunch in junior year, I started gaining weight, and during senior year I had a car accident that injured my knee, preventing me from continuing with track. Then senior summer...and freshman year (beer, pizza, burritos, very little time spent in the gym), and here I am at 190! My back muscles became so weak that with my tall height, I have thrown out my back several times (once during finals!). I have lost so much muscle mass and gained so much fat! How did this happen? How does weight just creep onto your body like that?

Well, here goes. My goal is to lose at least fifteen pounds, and build muscle mass, in order to prevent back injury. I'd truly like to goal at 30 pounds, bringing me down to 160. It's going to be a rough journey... and I know there are other college students out there feeling the same burn. Anyone have any advice, empathy, suggestions? Thanks in advance!
bluebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Yep, but I just graduated. I gained 20-25 pounds in college and have been "trying" but failing to lose it. I am opening a gym membership for the first time, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe that will kick start it officially!
Scorpio1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #3  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

I think it's really great that you're doing something about it now. I gained about 15 pounds every year of college, so by the end I had gone from 145 to 205 (I had been around 190 through some of high school). I think it's totally fine to gain weight, but I wish I hadn't waited until after college to take responsibility and try to get healthy again.

Good luck!
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #4  
I am the lorax.

S/C/G: 215/193/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm 19 too and though I didn't pack on the freshmen fifteen, I did gain back the ten pounds I lost over the summer. And of course I still needed to lose about ten more on top of that to recover from my senior year summer when I gained 20 :/ So I understand.
Just find a plan that works for you, I'm currently doing the men's health abs diet (it's for women too) and jillian michael's 30ds and have lost 9 pounds in my first month. It took me all of last summer to lose that, so I'm obv doing something right. But there a lot of dietary and exercise options out there! Happy losing :]
moralitylikeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #5  
Master Water Retainer

Oh, the other thing is, if you don't already see a chiropractor, I would suggest making an appointment. A chiropractor can probably give you some great exercises you can do to build up strength in your back which will make it easier to work out which will make it easier to lose weight.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I would see an orthopedist instead of a chiropractor. I know a lot of people swear by them, but they're not "real" doctors - they don't go to medical school, etc. and at your young age, your body (especially your spinal cord) is still growing and developing. An orthopedic doctor would have the best advice without hurting yourself.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #7  

Height: 4'11"

I am 20 years old and going into my senior year of college....I am not technically "overweight" but I need to lose at least 15lbs to be where I want to be, for my height. I also have a weak back, which does not help me every time I try to do crunches and similar exercises...but little by little we can build our strength up!
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #8  
Master Water Retainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelion View Post
I am 20 years old and going into my senior year of college....I am not technically "overweight" but I need to lose at least 15lbs to be where I want to be, for my height. I also have a weak back, which does not help me every time I try to do crunches and similar exercises...but little by little we can build our strength up!
Awww, a Doogie.

I'm a Doogie too.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/217/150

Height: 5'6

I hear you on the college weight gain. College is terrible about that. I even tried to get better, but I still gained weight. Now I'm busting my rear and finally showing some improvement.

When I left for college I was somewhere between 165 and 175 and happy in a size 12. I just finished my junior year at 230 and a size 18, pushing a 20. I've already dropped 5 pounds, though, and my pants are fitting better, so I'm going to drop this weight.

My advice would be to do it now. I wish I would have tried harder when I was still in your place with 20-30 pounds to lose. Not like 70 to get back down into a healthier range. -_-;
picturemeperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

It's been a while since college but I can certainly empathize! I was about 175 when I started and by the time I left I was 215. The first 20 came off easy once I got away from the party scene and started to eat normal home cooked foods again and not drinking every night. I would suggest that your diet be the first thing you tackle. Other than that you have a good game plan with the exercise! Isometrics would really help with developing those core muscles that support your spine.

Good luck! Looking forward to having another tall girl here!

Last edited by prepping; 06-05-2009 at 10:40 AM.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #11  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Hey honey!
A lot of us feel your pain. I'm pretty short, so I walked in at 140, being just a little teensy bit chubby.. and got up to 176 at one point...! I finally walked out at 160, but... for someone of my height, that's a significant difference.

Having the athletic background you do will be helpful! Stick around, 3FC is a great motivator to get'er'done. We'll be keeping tabs on you along the journey! Welcome!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/189/170

Height: 6'0"

Thanks so much to everyone! I started keeping a journal on ShapeDietPlan exactly one week ago, and have been tracking down all of my calories, usually consuming about 1400 a day. Honestly, I don;t feel like i'm doign that much with my diet - i'm just eating right! My mom is an awesome cook and uses very little fats/oils, but a lot of nonfat dairy, lean meat, and whole grains. Oh, and a lot of veggies! I've also been going to a gym that offers Les Mills fitness classes, so I've been going BodyFlow (yoga/pilates/taichi) and BodyPump (circuit training with weights), and I try to log a half hour of cardio and do some weight training for my back.

So far I'm seeing some ab definition and have some awesome bicep muscles, and my back and shoulders feel so much stronger! I haven't lost any weight/inches yet, but I'm not ready to give up just yet

Thanks to all of you for your support; I can't wait to comment/receive comments about everyones' journey. Let's DO THIS!!
bluebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

bluebird19, picturemeperfect, preppingbride, I'm starting to freak out here. Is there something significant about entering college at 175? I too was 175 through most of high school and it was when I went to college that I said the freshmen 35 and got to 212. So many of us seemed to enter college at 175... it's just kind of funny.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #14  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I totally feel you. I was never athletic, though, just in control of my eating. It's tough! I have back problems too (minor scoliosis) and I go to a D.O. (doctor of osteopath). They go to medical school are are "real doctors" but also have chiropractic training. That way, they can give you good advice and adjust you!
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 222/219/140

Height: 5'6

College is the best time of your life, but not good on your body. I totally sympathize with you! I gained the freshman 15, then the turning 21..20. The atmosphere is really hard. Just try to give yourself a balance. The college I went to had classes you could sign up for and it was like $50 for the an entire semester--I really stayed in shape getting a friend to go with me for a class we both enjoyed. I just got into Pilates and if you have the chance to get a one on one it will really help support muscles to help those injuries.
klees is offline   Reply With Quote