Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #1  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Spinning Class

I'm leaving in a little bit to take my first spinning class. I'm kinda nervous! Anytime I get on a bike my butt is always killing me. I've been working out a lot, so I hope I can make it through. There's a pilates class right after I'd like to go to as well if I survived :P

Does anyone else like spinning???

I'll let you know how it went when I get home.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #2  

Height: 4'11"

If you have a good instructor and good music, spinning is a lot of fun....don't worry too much about the seat; you will feel it for the first 5-10 minutes but after that I bet you won't even notice! Especially if you really focus on pushing yourself.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I have been going to spinning classes for about a month now. I LOVE them. I am almost 63 years old and would never, ever have thought I could or would do this.

A friend, half my age, talked me into it, and she was right to do so. I've lowered my resting heart rate from 72 to 68 beats a minute already.

I use a heart monitor and try to stay at about 80% or more of energy expenditure. I have lost only 4 pounds but I can feel a big difference in the way my pants fit and can feel the beginnings of stronger core muscles. I expect the weight to come off more quickly as soon as my body gets over the shock

Keep it up and enjoy.

Tejas
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #4  
I am the lorax.

S/C/G: 215/193/160

Height: 5'8"

I've always been incredibly intimidated by spinning classes but when I move back on campus in two weeks I am taking full advantage of the free gym membership again and giving spinning a go. Let me know how it works out for you, it seems intense!
moralitylikeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I LOVE spinning! It does really depend on the instructor and the music, but I really like both at my gym, so I go at least twice a week.

Your butt is going to hurt for the next day or so after your first class, but only give yourself 2 days in between. Get right back on the saddle, so they say. It will hurt less and get easier by the end of your first week.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Good luck in the spinning class!! I spin a couple times a week, been doing it for a couple years now...A couple words of Advice---ALWAYS bring a towel ( you WILL sweat ALOT!!), also, your butt is going to KILL you from the seats...you wont be able to sit down, and it makes the clas itself very uncomfortable---this however, will go away!! I PROMISE after 3 or 4 classes you wont even fell the seat, and it certainly wont cause any pain. You just have to tough it out for the first couple times...Also, dont be discouraged if the class *felt* too hard for you...it gets a lot easier, very quickly, within a few classes you will notice its not QUITE so horrible...Remember, one of the best things about a spinning class is that you can make it as hard or as easy as YOU want it to be!! Just crank the dial up or peddle faster if its getting too easy and your heart rate is coming down, or crank the dial DOWN if your dying, no one will notice, or even care if they do!! Have fun!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Another thing that really helps your butt - make sure you keep your core tight and sit up as straight as you can. That really really helps about making your butt NOT sore. Its hard, but it gets easier as it goes, and your core gets a work out as well.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #8  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I love spinning - just got back from a class! There's something very motivational about the music and the energy in the room. The music and the instructor make a big difference I find; I used to get up early on Saturdays(!) and go to a class just because of the instructor. Unfortunately she's not at my gym anymore . Your butt will hurt, but you have to work through it It won't last for long. Enjoy your spinning!

Last edited by Fressca; 06-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote