View Poll Results: What kind of weighing scales do you have?
I don't own any 3 18.75%
Analogue (big round display with needle pointing to numbers) 7 43.75%
Digital (numbers are displayed) 5 31.25%
That old-fashioned kind where you slide the weights about 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 05:21 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Talking wednesday

morning girls - hump day today!
sounds like we're all striving to be good girls then. glad to hear it!
last night i got all busy in the kitchen and made a yummy spinach pie (very low in points) served with mediterranean style roasted veggies. yum. and then i made some "mallow loaf". it's a recipe of my sisters, a kind of refrigerator cake. i'll see if i can work out the points before i post it - anyone know how many points are in a medium tin of condensed milk? it's very yummy.
ali - well done on the exam! kier - have you got more to do?
i've forgotten what i'm going to say now, so i best get on with some work instead! back soon.
kirsty
Old 10-23-2002, 05:30 AM   #2  
Scotland's finest export

the scales poll is cos i need to get some cos my old ones are knackered.
i couldn't think what to call the different types but if you are confused then i think the analogue ones are really called mechanical, and the digital are electronic. if that helps!!
my old ones were electronic cos i prefer to read a fixed display rather than guesstimate where the needle is pointing. but i think they are more likely to go wonky.
any thoughts?
kirsty
Old 10-23-2002, 09:23 AM   #3  
Cockeyed Optimist

Good Afternoon Kirsty! I like your poll. I almost voted no scale but then realized that I do have an analog/mechanical one in the back of a closet. I never use it though. When I was heavy, I didn't want to know my weight and once I joined WW I decided to only deal with WI once a week so I didn't obsess. Sorry I can't help but I have no idea as to what is a good scale.

And Good Morning to everyone else!

Jayne - I hate when I spill stuff on new or favorite clothes. Did the oxyclean work? Do you like that stuff? I've thought about purchasing it a couple times.

Kier - I'm with you - WI's don't count unless it's on the official day at the official time - but just the same - good for you!

Belle - that lunch you had yesterday sounds delicious. I didn't have time to pack my own lunch this morning so maybe I'll try to "git me" one of those veggie wraps.

Ali - Woo-hoo! Congrats on the exam results. As for the boy - if sticking your tongue against his tonsils isn't an option - maybe just try to incorporate more touching - touch his arm when talking to him - stand to close while waiting in a line for a movie, etc. - if he's not interested he'll move away from you - if he is interested and going slow, he'll accept it.

KT - New Friend. With capitals? Spill it girlfriend. I want details.

Had a great time in yoga last night. My instructor invited me to attend one of her other classes on Thursday at no charge. I think I may go but pay her anyway. Tonight CB and I are going to pick out some pumpkins. He's a city boy and never ever carved a pumpkin so this weekend I'm going to teach him the joys of small town Halloween rituals.

Laura
Old 10-23-2002, 09:46 AM   #4  

Hi everyone! I have been lurking this week...trying to be good, but a wedding last sunday and a wedding this upcoming sunday are not helping! I worked out with the personal trainer yesterday and can't move my arms today!!! He was a marine in a former life...so i am expecting tough workouts...it's expensive but I am going to try it for awhile!

The wedding in Central park was beautiful! I cried
This weekend i am Matron of honor in my best friend's wedding...I think she is getting a little too obsessive about what the bridesmaids are wearing-we got the same dresses and dyed to match shoes...and last night she says to me-make sure everyone is wearing the same color panty hose! I mean, really...ok we have open toed shoes but the dresses are really long, and who is going to be looking at our feet anyway??? But I didn't say anything-she's just stressed...

kirsty-I have a digital scale-I like it better than the analog....but the scale I have only shows whole pounds, not fractions like at WW-can't decide if that is good or not...

I have been journalling everything and drinking my water...but I still don't think I'll have a loss this week-we'll see. i ate really salty yesterday so the weight was the same today-I'm going to drink like mad and see if I can un-bloat by tomorrow. I am drivingt down to NY today for an overnight-only working half a day-whoo hoo!

Ali-congrats on the test-you go girl! I like the idea of taking things slow-let the anticipation build!

KT- NF? Give us details!

Belle-How are you doing? How is Carmen?

Jayne-Hope the stain came out-otherwise-oh well-maybe it's an excuse to go shopping!

Laura-I am jealous-I have no time to carve this year-my only decoration is one of those smooshed witches that look like they are crashing into things-I have it on my front door! Maybe I'll have time next week!

Hi to Jen-L, Rina(welcome back-I remember you!), Kim, lisa(where are you)?, Cat, and everyone else I missed!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:58 AM   #5  

Hi Girls!

I am here, just trying to get thru all my email. My son's right tube is falling out, which caused an ear infection. So, he gets drops and an antibiotic. He is feeling fine though. DH's eye is healing nicely. He wore goggles last night plastering (good boy!).

I am hanging in there points wise, but definitely on the high end.

I appeciate all of your baby advice for me. It is a tough decision. But, I have decided to wait until we move and get settle and the house building is behind us, then decide. In the meantime, I am having my IUD removed next week, I am tired of having periods randomly throughout the month and really heavy. As much as I hate it, I am going to go back on the pill until we either have another child, or DH get a vasectomy. (TMI! I know, I just think of you girls as my friends!!)

Lori ~ I have a dr question for you...have you heard anything about the BC patch? Anyone else? I would love to only stick on a patch every week rather than take a pill every day.

I promise I will be back to post to everyone, just need to get some work done first.

THanks a million for being there for me!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 AM   #6  
Eve's Mom

Hi girls! I actually have both analogue and digital but I use the digital b/c if I step on it twice ina row, the # is the same, but if I step on the analogue, it changes. Therefore I think the digital is more accurate. It was also more expensive.

Kirsty - post your spinach recipe! Yum!!

Laura - is your instructor really into the mind aspect? Ours is - she is very focused on how your mind is during yoga ( and stll new at this so maybe all are like that, I don't know).

Lori - AH don't talk about weddings! I am finally done with the 2 I was in this year. Both were annoyig for me as the brides were obsessive and I wasn't the maid of honor for either of them, yet I did a LOT of the work - in fact, most of the work for them both. That peeved me. But now its over - YAY!! Good luck with yours...

Ali - you are always an inspiration to me, and I think of you when I have struggles, so, if you can do it then so can I! I am determined to get past that 200 mark this time and not choke. It is a big mental milestone (really no one but me and my WI book iwll know, but it is a big deal to me). Good job on your exam BTW!!

Well, b/f and I had a really good night. We went to dinner at 6 and then for a walk. He asked me if I want to buy a house or a condo - but I am not taking that to heart, don't worry. Then we met our old co-worker for coffee for a couple of hours. It was fun! B/f even had fun. She is good company and very funny. We are both in communications but she is gettng her masters rather than working in the field right now so I quizzed her b/c I am thinking of taking it part time.

Well, I am in training again all day, so I'll sign off.....

Oh, Carmen had her echocardiogram yesterday but we don't have the results yet. I'll let you know the minute I hear. Thank you (all) for asking about her, the poor baby.

Oh, Auntie Jen - what's the new nephew's name??

Love Belle
Old 10-23-2002, 11:00 AM   #7  
Cockeyed Optimist

I so don't want to work this morning!

Lori - I may be a bit sadistic, but I love feeling sore after a good work-out. I'm so jealous of you having a personal trainer.....I once dated a marine....best set of shoulders I ever went out with.

Tonya - glad to hear that your husband and son are starting to get a bit better. And it's not TMI on the b.c. questions. I've actually been thinking about switching (am so tired of remembering to take a pill every day) and have been starting to research IUD's, the patch, and depo provera. I've rejected the patch - a co-worker I'm friendly with uses it and after seeing/touching it, I just think that wearing it would seem weird to me.

Belle - my yoga instructor is actually very western in her approach. We have an hour of asanas and pranayama work in which all she says about our minds is to use them to concentrate on the pose or our breathing. Then we have 15 minute meditation/relaxation in which she trys to get us to empty our minds of thoughts and visualize what she describes. I've never ever been able to stop thinking in my life so I just repeat over and over 1,2,1,2,1,2...and I usually fall asleep!
About your mental block of getting under 200, I think I've sort of been going through some of the same thing with hitting goal (been hovering 3 to 6 lbs above for 5 months) . These things are HUGE landmarks for anyone whose had a weight problem. I don't know what your timeline is, but I'd like to be at 2 under goal (a total of 5lbs) as a Christmas present to myself. Wouldn't getting under 200 be a great Christmas present to yourself? We could cheer each other on - and so we don't bore the rest of the board - we could PM or e-mail any long diatribes on concerns or issues we're having.

Wow! Am I ever a chatty kathy today.

Laura
Old 10-23-2002, 11:19 AM   #8  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

OK, how come when the boss comes back after being gone for a couple days, I get all wacked and stressed? And even tho I am related to her, I still feel all this pressure. Ughhh...

I am tired tired tired today. Finished my basket last night. I think it looks cool. It is a market basket, so it is a nice size. We even stained them. So much fun!! But staying up late made me very tired and my back still aches. Oh and my belly really popped out. But I have a long torso, so I never look like I have a basketball, instead it looks like a watermelon. When I was PG with Emma they said she had lots of room to play because I was so long. The good thing is that when she was born people said I looked only about 7 months PG because it didn't stick out as far. But I am only 12 weeks and look 18 weeks... ughhhhh. And I need to get exercising!!

Oh, I have a analog scale, but I HATE it. Like Belle said, you step on it twice and the weight is different. I would definately spend the money on a good quality digital scale!

Tonya, you definately DO NOT want to be PG when you are moving. I can barely get the energy to help move the basement in. AND you can't lift anything, so basically you are useless and I find that frustrating. Plus with it being a big change in your life, the stress may be too much. I think you are smart to wait and think about it!

I suppose I should get some work done. Have to find Emma some boots because daycare is holloring about it since we have snow and they want to take the kids outside. I had no clue we would have snow in October!!! At least we bought her winter jacket last week!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:15 PM   #9  
Canadian Chick

Morning all.

How are you doing today? Yesterday was day 2 OP & it went awesome! I didn't fit any exercise in but I did manage to bank 4 points Today will go as well I hope! We're making Chicken Quesadillas for lunch & then I'll probably either eat leftovers for supper or soup or somehting. I have a busy day at work & so it will be 9pm by the time I get home to have supper. I chopped up a bunch of raw veggies & fruit to take with me as snacks. I think today will be another success

Kirsty, I bought an analogue scale because it was the cheapest but it is really annoying because it gives differnt readings & it depends on how you stand & you have to eyeball it to see approximately where its pointing. I'm hoping ours dies soon so I can buy a digital one.

Jen, Hope work isn't making you too stressed.

Lori, Sounds like your friend is going over the top. I was maid of honor twice this summer on top of our wedding. It was way more fun being the bride than being bossed around Hope you have fun this weekend! Do you think its worth the money to have a personal trainer? I've thoguht about it but I just don't know. Yours sounds like he'll keep you moving that's for sure!

Belle, Glad to hear you had a decent night with bf. Hope Carmen is doing better. Focus on your goal rather than all of your stress. You'll get there.

Tonya, BC topic is interesting not TMI. I changes pills six months ago to help with PMS but it hasn't helped. I was reading about the patch & it sounds interesting. I'm just afraid it might have long-term effects that they haven't discovered yet. It does sound nice & convenient though.

KT who is this NF? We want details!

Laura, I was wondering what CB stood for. Now I'm thinkng it means City Boy?? I love carving pumpkins. We haven't decided if we're going out that night or not. If we do I doubt we'll carve one.

Anyway I should go get some housework done before lunch & work. Sometimes I get tired of these afternoon/evening shifts. It would be so nice if bosses would just thier workers leave work to go for massage But that'll never happen. Guess its just part of my job (sigh). Anyway I'll talk to you girls later!

-Rina
Old 10-23-2002, 12:55 PM   #10  
Proud Canadian

Hi Guys - yes, I guess I slipped a capital NF in my last post. Although I found something out last night that doesn't give much hope. He once "courted" a woman for 3 years with no action - he calls himself a hopeless romantic - that would be nice but I'm not in "relationship" mode I'm in a "sow my wild oats" mode - but he is fun and there is a group of us that hang out together and watch movies and play games so its nice to always hvae somewhere to go if I'm bored. Aso (big plus in my book) he doesn't drink - EVER - what a change.
Anyway, I'm happy right now and that's all I really care about. I've gone haloween crazy - I hugely decorated my station at work - everyone is enjoying it because the last couple of people in this position couldn't be bothered. $5 gets a lot of decorations at the dollar store.
Kirsty - I have analog - I've never had a problem with it - it gages the loss correctly but the actual numbers aren't the same as the WW scale.
Laura - You are making me want to go out and buy a yoga video - what do you think would be better - video or DVD?
Lori - one wedding I was in the bride bought us all pantyhose as part of our gifts (the same color) is she doing the same thing for jewlery too?
Tonya - Your poor boys - thank goodness your daughter and you are both well.
Belle - I'm glad things are going well with BF - just follow your heart.
Jen - kinda funny that you actually did a basket weaving class. What are you going to use it for?
OK - back to work - it's break time!
KT
Old 10-23-2002, 12:59 PM   #11  
Bono Fanatic!

Angry Hi!

Just popping in for a second to say hi! I miss being able to come here every day.

Belle - My nephew is Adam James. I will try to post a picture soon. Carmen is still in my prayers.

Tonya - Nothing wrong with the BC discussion. Do you not like the pill because you don't like taking it everyday? I have been on it for 9 years and it works for me, but I'm surprised by how many people don't like it.

KT - I agree - spill it about this NF!!

Back to work... I have nothing exciting to report since all I do is work, go to school and study.

TTYL!
Old 10-23-2002, 01:10 PM   #12  

A quick reply-about the BC info-the patch-Ortho Evra-is the same combination of hormones that is in a low dose pill like Loestrin, Alesse, etc. The side effects and long term effects should be much the same as those for the low estrogen pills. If you have trouble with low estrogen pills you will most likely have trouble with the patch. A very small percentage of women have a skin reaction to the patch. The good things are: No pills every day. However, I owul think I would be more likely to forget to do something that i only do once a week-but that is just me. there is also the OCP shot called Lunelle-different from Depo Provera in that Lunelle is once a month and also has a combination of hormones like you get on the pill, so you actually have a real cycle. you have to get the shot onc e a month. Depo is just progesterone, so you can gain weight, have breakthrough bleeding(like spotting for a whole month) and it lasts for three months so once you get the shot you are stuck with the side effects for three months unless you want to start taking a pill to make them better.

Personally, I want an IUD-there is a new one called Mirena which is supposed to cause less cramping and heavy bleeding. but I can't get one until after I have a baby-so oh well.
Try to convince those men to get vasectomies!!!!
Lori
Old 10-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #13  

Lori ~ I apologize up front for taking advantage of your knowledge, but one last question.

Since I have an IUD, statistically, do women have a tougher time becoming pregnant after it is removed? Any problems found?

As far as IUD's go. I have had mine for 4 years. The pros - it is great not worrying about pills or the chances of becoming pregnant. The cons - my periods are random, sometimes comes in the middle of the month, then the next month it is the beginning etc., heavy periods, and it does nothing for my PMS, which is why I was put on the pill at 13 years of age to begin with (but I must say, after I had children, the PMS symptoms have dramatically decreased). Anyway, thanks for the insight!!!

I am going to try the patch, see if I like it. It will be nice to have normal periods again.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #14  
A Yankee in Virginia

Hello girls! This isn't an excuse -- honest! It just seems that this site doesn't like my computer. It took me forever to the get the thread loaded up today and I don't think I saw all the responses. I don't understand it -- I have a fast connection at work.

How is everyone? JenL, because I haven't been on so much lately, I didn't realize you were pregnant! Yay! Congrats, congrats! Do you know what the baby's sex is yet or it is too soon? How exciting, though! I can't wait to have kids. I told DF that I want to start trying in the next year or two. I'd like for us to be settled somewhere and buy a house first.

Weddings, weddings, weddings ... mine is in two and half weeks. 18 days! I can't believe it's getting so close. I had to take my dress back to the seamstress today because all of a sudden, it seemed a little loose in the bodice. I haven't lost any more pounds, but maybe the workouts are paying off and I'm getting more toned. I can hope! I still wish I had been able to lose more by the wedding, but I can't dwell on that.

Yoga! How's this for fun. I've arranged a yoga party for my bridal party the day before the wedding! It's a personal yoga session, just for my little group. I thought it would be a good way to relax and de-stress.

Kirsty: I have a digital scale. I don't think it works because my weight hasn't changed in several weeks. Oh, could that be me? Actually, it's not too bad.

Belle: How is Carmen? Thank you for the b'day email card, by the way. I tried to email you back -- hope you got it! Yes, girls, I am now 30 (as of last Friday). Did I see this now the 20s and 30s board? It seems to have changed.

Well, I better get back to work. I've been such a procrastinator lately and I have stuff looming. I just want to be in Jamaica!
Old 10-23-2002, 02:57 PM   #15  
Cockeyed Optimist

JenL - Don't you just hate having to spend the money on decent boot for Emma knowing that you'll have to do it all over again next year?

Rina - good job for being 2 days OP sounds like your plan for today should ensure a 3rd one as well.

JenK - Hope you're still managing to squeeze in some running. I know how much you enjoy it. Will e-mail you later.

KT - glad you're having fun with the new guy. Just enjoy the thing between you for what it is. I don't know whether a yoga video or DVD would be better as, gasp, I don't have a DVD player.

Lori - thanks for all the good info!

Kim - can't believe it is only 18 days. Private yoga session? Can I be part of your bridal party? J/K!

Laura
Closed Thread