Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default CARROTS ARE DELICIOUS! (random rant)

I've been making myself eat vegetables at my school's cafeteria and was beginning to dread it, because they simply don't taste good.
I come home for break... I buy some fresh corn, husk it, and boil it, and I end up eating it and think it's so sweet and delicious and practically devoured it.
Fast forward a week or so.... I bought some fresh organic carrots at the supermarket today and boiled them in a pot today (with just a dash of sugar) for dinner... I took a serving and I just couldn't stop! I didn't put butter, salt, anything on them! They tasted so good like candy... and I just couldn't stop eating them. I ate two whole cups worth of carrots, and they tasted SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD.
I'm kind of pleased. It's not that I don't like vegetables, it's that......

CANNED
VEGETABLES
ARE
EVIL!!!!!!!

Seriously! Anyone who thinks they hate vegetables, get it fresh! Until I do, I always forget what a difference it makes! I'd rather eat paper than eat canned or frozen vegetables... fresh has so much flavor, and SWEETNESS. I can eat it like candy. It's DELICIOUS. Scratch that.... it's MORE delicious than candy! I would have taken that whole bowl of carrots over a chocolate bar ANYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh, I want some more carrots now..........
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #2  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

You think fresh (boiled) vegetables are delicious? Just wait until you try steaming them... or better yet... OVEN ROASTING!

OMG GOOD!
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oh, yes, roasted vegetables. Try roasting some asparagus! Zucchini! Try grilling, too! Fresh vegetables, cooked properly, are truly amazing tasting.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

You know what else is absolutely the most amazing thing? Tomatoes off the vine, OMG SO YUMMY! I do not know what they do to the bulk of our vegetables in the supermarkets but comparing those tasteless, mealy tomatoes with fresh homegrown ones really makes you wonder.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

OVEN-ROASTED! That sounds delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother complained a little at me though. The only non-bagged carrots were organic carrots and definitely cost more than the bagged ones. She likes to buy a bag of baby carrots and boil them... I wanted the real fresh carrots, not a bag of machine-shaped carrots stuffed in preservatives. Even if she can't taste the difference, the former is certainly a whole lot healthier, I'd imagine! It's kind of frustrating sometimes that healthy food has to cost more. But I have to remind myself that MY HEALTH is worth it. Lately I've found myself adversed to most bagged foods in general and have been gravitating towards fresh fruits and vegetables instead.

Leesa I agree..... we have cherry tomatoes that we grow in our yard and they are DELICIOUS... so sweet and yummy. And it's not just tomatoes... I bought a banana at the supermarket and it didn't taste like much.... but I had a homegrown one and it was SOOOO SWEEEEEEET. I really don't understand what they do to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It kind of makes you want to just grow all your own fruits and vegetables in a garden instead.... even though that'd be quite difficult to maintain. Actually, both tomatoes and bananas are fruits, right? So maybe it's more or less... what are they doing to our FRUITS in the supermarkets!!!!!!

Last edited by megwini; 06-03-2009 at 12:08 AM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

No, its vegetables too. Homegrown are dramatically better.

There are a couple of things "they" are doing to remove taste from food...first, the varieties grown are chosen for their shelf-stability, transport-hardiness, etc, instead of being chosen based on taste. Second, the foods are shipped a considerable distance to get to markets, which reduces flavor. Third, veggies and fruits are often picked before they are ripe and essentially gassed to force them to look ripe before being sold...

In any case, finding local produce can make a big difference too...farmers markets, etc, are great sources for produce that tastes like it's meant to! Or, consider joining a CSA...they're an underrated (and amazing!) way to get farm fresh fruits and veggies that are in season and taste amazing. Check out www.localharvest.org to find local produce sources in your area.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Yikes Mandalinn that sounds dowright yucky. You've inspired me hunt down a local farmer's market! I got all excited about the the link... but I live in Canada... I do try to buy local, as well as organic, although I still find alot of the organic produce to be lacking in the taste department too. It's interesting, I live in Vancouver (BC ) and despite the fact that we are renowned for some of our produce, even some of the local produce here is so mass produced (BC "hothouse" tomatoes/cukes for exampe) they have also lost their taste. Megwini, I only WISH I could grow bananas here at the rate my kids go through them! Anyway, off I go to locate said farmer's market and hopefully come home with a haul of "real" fruits and veggies!
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

I just searched LocalHarvest and they have Vancouver!

http://www.localharvest.org/search.j...&zip=V5K%200A1